GDT: @ Flams

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seriously, where has everyone gone on these boards? I remember 4-5 years ago, there was about 5+ pages of comments...
jfkfD

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You know what really needs to change on the powerplay and what would make us a major threat? Radek Faksa in the slot for one-timers or in front of the net. Has as good or better hand-eye coordination than Ritchie, way more talent, and a much quicker release. Watching Ritchie shoot the puck is like watching a snail go from one end of the ice to another. Literally always waits too long.

Reactions: Bfantz

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I’d start scratching Spezza in favor of Dickinson. If nothing else, Dickinson will at least skate hard to get back. Spezza does nothing. Can’t even help on the PP.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I’d start scratching Spezza in favor of Dickinson. If nothing else, Dickinson will at least skate hard to get back. Spezza does nothing. Can’t even help on the PP.
He does seem to be getting lazy . I don’t understand how he can decline that fast . 2 seasons ago he was the main guy on our powerplay . He was the guy that skated it in set things up and did the ol walk in clapper on the short side over and over .

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
He's not stealing money... both his mind and body has been significantly degraded due to age, he has a hard time keeping up with the game anymore. The issue is the contract Nill signed him to, which was 1-2 years too long. The same thing will happen with Benn, Radulov, Hanzal and Bishop. Nill uses extra term as a negotiating tactic.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He's not stealing money... both his mind and body has been significantly degraded due to age, he has a hard time keeping up with the game anymore. The issue is the contract Nill signed him to, which was 1-2 years too long. The same thing will happen with Benn, Radulov, Hanzal and Bishop. Nill uses extra term as a negotiating tactic.

Nill did not sign Spezza, he was acquired via trade with that contract.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nill did not sign Spezza, he was acquired via trade with that contract.

No, when we acquired Spezza he was on the final year of his contract. Nill then signed him I believe about 16 games into the season or maybe 20 to a 4 year contract extension.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
It's sad that we're at the point of discussing a Spezza buyout. He was very decent a short time ago.

One of the saddest parts Is, we would be ridiculously good if Spezza was producing at his usual 60+ point pace...sad we have to rely on 3 (4 including Klingberg) guys for literally all of our offense outside of a little production from Janmark/Faksa/Pitlick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think some of this has to do with hitch . He played a totally different game when ruff was here . Ruff seemed to let him play his game and hitch has got him playin a boring , no risk game and that’s just not what he is . if he went to another team where he played a higher role he would Probably be doing better . It seems ruff had a way more relaxed approach and the guys seemed to be way more confident offensively . It makes me wonder if this years success has anything to do with hitch , or is it because of the fact they have a better team this year and if ruff was still here would they be at the top of the whole league again ?

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I think some of this has to do with hitch . He played a totally different game when ruff was here . Ruff seemed to let him play his game and hitch has got him playin a boring , no risk game and that’s just not what he is . if he went to another team where he played a higher role he would Probably be doing better . It seems ruff had a way more relaxed approach and the guys seemed to be way more confident offensively . It makes me wonder if this years success has anything to do with hitch , or is it because of the fact they have a better team this year and if ruff was still here would they be at the top of the whole league again ?

Our defence is way better under Hitch. With Ruff we would just outscore our problems which worked in 15-16 but not so much in 16-17 when we had a worse team.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'd agree with that if Spezza's PP numbers remained the same, but his decline has been everywhere. This isn't just about a change in 5 on 5 scheme. This is Spezza losing his legs.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd agree with that if Spezza's PP numbers remained the same, but his decline has been everywhere. This isn't just about a change in 5 on 5 scheme. This is Spezza losing his legs.

The difference in speed is the biggest thing I have noticed with Spezza. His speed never seemed to be an issue before this year in my opinion is he just plain slow now.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Of course, he didn't have to forecheck in the Ruff system. He looks especially slow down in the other end chasing folks around. That is one of the most notable differences (to me) in the Hitch vs Ruff systems, the constant forecheck. I have seen a bit of decline in that in recent games, which may explain a bit of the lower scoring, given the philosophy that defense leads to turnovers and then, offense.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
No, when we acquired Spezza he was on the final year of his contract. Nill then signed him I believe about 16 games into the season or maybe 20 to a 4 year contract extension.

Oh damn, you are right. Completely forgot. My bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad