GDT: Flames vs Sabres - 5:30 PM - SNET960 - SNET West

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Tkachuk is so good. Not having a real trigger man on his line is not doing his play-making skills in close quarters justice.

I was saying this last offseason, but fans and friends would say, "but the 3M line was one of the best in the league". Sorry, but Tkachuk is way better than Backlund and Frolik and you're right that his playmaking skills are being wasted on that line. Playing with Backlund is fine, he's a good possession center and can shoot, but Frolik isn't good enough to stay with Tkachuk. Line should be Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk with Frolik moving down to the 3rd line.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
f***... o well. Strong game all around. Repeat in Ottawa and then let’s start playing proper at home against isles.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I was saying this last offseason, but fans and friends would say, "but the 3M line was one of the best in the league". Sorry, but Tkachuk is way better than Backlund and Frolik and you're right that his playmaking skills are being wasted on that line. Playing with Backlund is fine, he's a good possession center and can shoot, but Frolik isn't good enough to stay with Tkachuk. Line should be Bennett-Backlund-Tkachuk with Frolik moving down to the 3rd line.

I agree with this

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dougie!

giphy.gif

Mmmm so delicious and yummy

when Dougie scores.

Also Bennett is our best player. Sounds like he Johnny were making magic.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I agree he needs a new line but I don't think Backlund should be on it.

That forces Tkachuk into too many defensive match-ups and zone starts.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here’s the lineup they should use:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Frolik - Backlund - Lazar
Tkachuk - Bennett - Ferland
Mangiapagne - Jankowski - Shore

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I'd rather see a Monahan-Backlund-Tkachuk line. Monahan's a better shooter and plays the game at a similar tempo to Tkachuk. Would also allow Gaudreau to play with Bennett on more of a speed line.

Monahan-Backlund-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Mangiapane-Jankowski-Versteeg
Lazar-Shore-Frolik

I can dream.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd rather see a Monahan-Backlund-Tkachuk line. Monahan's a better shooter and plays the game at a similar tempo to Tkachuk. Would also allow Gaudreau to play with Bennett on more of a speed line.

Monahan-Backlund-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Lazar-Shore-Frolik

I can dream.

giphy.gif

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
or we just roll with the lines that won us a hockey game 5-1 :dunno:

I'm at least happy the Stewart experiment is over, that was painful to watch. Would like shore to draw in soon 4th line: Stajan-Shore-Lazar/Brouwer should be decent.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Monahan-Backlund-Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Lazar-Shore-Frolik

I can dream.

So now we are putting Monahan and Tkachuk into heavy defensive roles and zones starts? How does that make sense?

Because that Jankowski line will need buttery soft match-ups and defensive responsibilities, the Gaudreau line can't match-up defensively against good lines and I guess the 4th line can take some responsibility but then they are playing way too much.

And now Gaudreau is going to have to carry two guys by himself instead of one guy (Ferland) with help from Monahan? Ferland is having by far his best season with Gaudreau and Monahan to help him and he still is putting up ok numbers at best, how is he going to come close to producing even ok numbers when going from Monahan down to 30 point Bennett?

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
And now Gaudreau is going to have to carry two guys by himself instead of one guy (Ferland) with help from Monahan? Ferland is having by far his best season with Gaudreau and Monahan to help him and he still is putting up ok numbers at best, how is he going to come close to producing even ok numbers when going from Monahan down to 30 point Bennett?

I'm no flames fan, but i've watched a ton of flames games...how can you undermine ferland like that? he has 28 even strength pointes, monahan in contrast only has 9 more. And it's not like ferlands been on the first line all season, but he's been an engine that generates a ton of chances whenever hes been given an opportunity.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm no flames fan, but i've watched a ton of flames games...how can you undermine ferland like that? he has 28 even strength pointes, monahan in contrast only has 9 more. And it's not like ferlands been on the first line all season, but he's been an engine that generates a ton of chances whenever hes been given an opportunity.

He hasn't been in the 1st line all season?

First of all PP points count just the same as ES points so I am not sure why we are just ignoring that, second Monahan has a history of putting up better seasons than Ferland career best and your "only" 9 points is still 9 points.

Finally watch them play it is clear Ferland relies on the other two while Monahan is able to create offense.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Lazar is better than Stajan, Brouwer, Jankowski and Hathaway.

I agree that we should get Shore in the line-up but fail to see why a 22 year old with speed (who is a better player than other guys on the team) is the one that should "get out of there."
I realistically know that they're not going to take Brouwer out, and honestly it's a toss-up between him and Lazar for worst forward on the team. Hathaway has been worse lately, so I wouldn't be averse to him being out. Lazar in no way, shape, or form, is better than Jankowski. The only thing Lazar has going for him is speed and heart. He's not a particularly smart player, he can't make (or take) a pass to save his life most of the time, and I'm convinced any goals he scores are blind luck.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I realistically know that they're not going to take Brouwer out, and honestly it's a toss-up between him and Lazar for worst forward on the team. Hathaway has been worse lately, so I wouldn't be averse to him being out. Lazar in no way, shape, or form, is better than Jankowski. The only thing Lazar has going for him is speed and heart. He's not a particularly smart player, he can't make (or take) a pass to save his life most of the time, and I'm convinced any goals he scores are blind luck.

To be fair Stewart is probably the worst forward on the team

Reactions: Dack and Janks

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually don’t mind Lazar. He looks like a guy that is playing to not make a mistake, hence the zero creativity. Lazar believe it or not, has a good shot but we haven’t seen it all season. I’d love to see him get Hathaway’s spot who should not be playing on the Flames. If he got a little rope, I think he would surprise a few people.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I actually don’t mind Lazar. He looks like a guy that is playing to not make a mistake, hence the zero creativity. Lazar believe it or not, has a good shot but we haven’t seen it all season. I’d love to see him get Hathaway’s spot who should not be playing on the Flames. If he got a little rope, I think he would surprise a few people.

Hathaway is solidly better than Lazar in my opinion, or is at least playing better hockey. You might be right that if Lazar got a little rope he could outperform Hathaway, but I don't necessarily know that I see anything that would make me believe that. I think Lazar basically is what he is. Hathaway I think even has a bit of room to grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->