GDT: Flames vs. Oilers - 7pm MT - SN [Mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I also thought Shore played well enough to bump Hathaway. Bring Janks back, bench Hathaway and Stewart, slide Stajan to wing and have him mentor Shore.

Reactions: snipetype

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I also thought Shore played well enough to bump Hathaway. Bring Janks back, bench Hathaway and Stewart, slide Stajan to wing and have him mentor Shore.

Not going to happen. Hathaway told GG he can play.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Interesting, I wonder if he plays on Friday.

I believe he is still practicing with the Heat. They had to activate him from IR before he can play games as apart of a conditioning stint. The Heat host Milwaukee tomorrow night.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I believe he is still practicing with the Heat. They had to activate him from IR before he can play games as apart of a conditioning stint. The Heat host Milwaukee tomorrow night.
According to Glen Gulutzan's pregame today, he had one practice with the Flames, took today's morning skate and is "really close."

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
The one thing I didn't like about Shore was that he appears to have a very laboured stride. Which is fine for a centre in the right situation, but I don't know how effective he can be on the wing without any real foot-speed.

I didn't really notice that last night, but I also missed almost all of the first period. He didn't strike me as particularly quick or slow player, I did however like his ability in the neutral zone to disrupt plays and possession wise he seemed solid. I hope they at least look at him over Hathaway.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Smith contained McDavid, he was beating our boys left and right every time he cut to the net.

I thought the Flames did a reasonably good job because except for one instance, every time McDavid drove wide and cut to the net, he ended up not being able to get a proper shot away. We were giving him the outside lane and then taking away his ability to fully get back to the middle. All Smith had to do was make sure he closed off the bottom of the net, because most of McDavid's chances consisted of dragging the puck one-handed into the crease, trying to get it back to his forehand.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I thought the Flames did a reasonably good job because except for one instance, every time McDavid drove wide and cut to the net, he ended up not being able to get a proper shot away. We were giving him the outside lane and then taking away his ability to fully get back to the middle. All Smith had to do was make sure he closed off the bottom of the net, because most of McDavid's chances consisted of dragging the puck one-handed into the crease, trying to get it back to his forehand.

Yeah, I don't get why people have this expectation that anyone on our roster, or better yet in the league, is going to be able to keep up with McDavid, he's that fast...Like, almost unbelievable fast, kind of leaves me in awe most times. We kept him to the outside, he rarely was able to cut back in, making Smith's job fairly easy. It's the best a defensive group can do against his combo of elite speed/skill.

Reactions: Janks

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Calgary Flames @NHLFlames
.@MFradiology Injury Update: Kris Versteeg has been activated from the injured reserve.

Could be great news if he can come back soon and help our PP!

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I don't get why people have this expectation that anyone on our roster, or better yet in the league, is going to be able to keep up with McDavid, he's that fast...Like, almost unbelievable fast, kind of leaves me in awe most times. We kept him to the outside, he rarely was able to cut back in, making Smith's job fairly easy. It's the best a defensive group can do against his combo of elite speed/skill.
Agreed with this. The only way to counter is to close the gap effectively, push him to the outside, and not let him cut back into the slot driving the net. Let him make perimeter shots on a goalie or keep him along the boards.

I think Gio and Dougie did a fantastic job against him, and Hamonic and Brodie were serviceable against him (TJ got burned once or twice IIRC, but Hamonic helped cover for that).

Reactions: The Gnome

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Agreed with this. The only way to counter is to close the gap effectively, push him to the outside, and not let him cut back into the slot driving the net. Let him make perimeter shots on a goalie or keep him along the boards.

I think Gio and Dougie did a fantastic job against him, and Hamonic and Brodie were serviceable against him (TJ got burned once or twice IIRC, but Hamonic helped cover for that).

Yes, I remember TJ getting burned once for sure, but he had a great game for the most part. People have to realize McDavid is that freaking good, he's one of the best in the world, and has to be the fastest player I've ever seen. Even the best defensive core in the league will struggle with that combination of speed and skill. For the most part our blueline played that perfectly. McDavid can have all the perimeter shots he wants on Smith, most won't go in.

Reactions: Janks

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Smith is the real deal. This is the closest thing to Kipper we have had in years...

I knew he would come in clutch and play a stellar game after a 'bad' game. Kipper used to do the same thing.

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think if you allow McDavid only one point it’s a win. We should have the skill to beat that team if he has only one goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad