GDT: Flames vs. Islanders - 5:00 PM - Scotiabank Saddledome - SN

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We can't just blame GG, anyway. That stat on missed shots they put up was ridiculous; the Flames have nearly 100 more missed shots than 2nd place in the league; god knows how many more than middle-of-the-pack. Missing shots is execution, which is the players' issue (unless the coaches are somehow coaching all of their shooting ability out of them).

That's not entirely separable. Just like the type of shots you take affects the number of times it goes in, it also affects the number of times it hits the target in the first place. There is a distinct possibility that the mantra of maximizing shot attempts leads to poorer shot attempts.

The Flames do seem to miss the net, frustratingly, on a lot of good chances, but so does their opposition most nights. It's part of hockey.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You get what you pay for. We've already spent legitimate assets, and with each passing game with this roster it's looking more and more likely that one of those assets is going to be a pick with a chance to win the draft lottery.

A low chance. Not really something to keep you up at night.

However, those assets weren't sunk into just this year the way that, typically, deadline acquisitions are. The team has been assembled for a few years in a row, and in future years we'll have the chance to build it further with a fresh stable of assets.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't necessarily think that's true. Yes, the law of averages says if you're out-chancing the other team night-in and night-out, you should be winning. But if that's true, why aren't the Flames contending for the playoffs? Is the team shot percentage abnormally low? Are we drawing exemplary performances from every goalie we face? Are the shots all from the blueline straight onto the goalie's stick?

There's nothing wrong with the philosophy, it's the execution and the fact that it doesn't seem to happen for long stretches of the season. You can hire someone who runs a similar style without it being an indictment of the coaching philosophy. Gulutzan has the right idea, the problem is that he's an average coach and we need a good one to make the splash that this team has the personnel to do.

But that's the question, if the Flames are lobbing 50 shots on goal every home game, it's doubtful, to me at least, that they are doing that without playing the system. I think the way the Flames are playing is absolutely the vision of Gulutzan. Especially seeing as the patterns in their offensive-zone play are so repetitive at times. Which means that, really, Gulutzan has done a good job. He has gotten the team to play his system the way he wants. What more is there that a coach can do, execution-wise? If I'm right and they are playing his system, then it's the system that is the problem if it is leading to losing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This team needs a new coach. I'm not trying to throw Gulutzan under the bus here, but there's just too much that doesn't work with how we approach games.

- The defense don't play an attacking, aggressive style when that's exactly what we need from them.

- Too much stock is put into shot totals. And I think shot attempt differentials are important, but they should come organically through this team's high talent level, not by grinding and cycling for shots right into a positioned and set goaltender.

- There just isn't a good feel for goaltending decisions. Smith should not have played tonight. Rittich should have been right back in net after the Colorado game where he was the only Flame that actually showed up.

- Our powerplays are bad. Even when they score, it feels like we just got a fortunate bounce rather than took advantage of having an extra person on the ice.

- Sam Bennett is completely misused and underused. It's pretty clear he's the most talented center on roster, and should be playing with talent, speed, ice time, and a commitment to getting the most out of him, rather than an afterthought to grind around in corners every game.

- Lines get too stagnant without any fix until it's far too late and the damage has been done. Same applies to defense pairs.

- Late game situations are just inept. That's the only way I can describe it. We must lead the league in empty netters against.

- The penalty kill personnel usage is atrocious. The only reason we don't have a bottom 3rd PK is because of goaltending.

The list really goes on. This team is a cup contending roster being piddled around wasting half their games playing hopeless grinder hockey with the Garnet Hathaways and Troy Brouwers. All teams have their bottom-of-roster grinders but most of them cycle them around when they're playing awful. Hathaway hasn't had an especially memorable game since December. Lazar's been better, yet got scratched for Tanner Glass. It's just nonsensical.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
But that's the question, if the Flames are lobbing 50 shots on goal every home game, it's doubtful, to me at least, that they are doing that without playing the system. I think the way the Flames are playing is absolutely the vision of Gulutzan. Especially seeing as the patterns in their offensive-zone play are so repetitive at times. Which means that, really, Gulutzan has done a good job. He has gotten the team to play his system the way he wants. What more is there that a coach can do, execution-wise? If I'm right and they are playing his system, then it's the system that is the problem if it is leading to losing.

This is a fantastic post AS and really a solid reason why the coach should likely be let go.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think we need to accept that much like Iggy's #1C, our RHS top 6er won't be coming to our team any time soon. The cost is too prohibitive and I don't think Treliving plays the UFA lottery game again. Which is precisely why I don't understand why the shackles still haven't come off our top 3 guys.

Gio+Brodie+Hamilton could easily combine for 140 pts and make up for that glaring hole in our forward group and yet we choose to toil in mediocrity, expecting middle 6 guys like Ferland to drive up our goal totals. It's clear we've modeled our roster to be like the Preds and they don't play irresponsible river hockey by any stretch of the imagination. It's no coincedence that our GF has plummeted the second their offensive freedoms were stifled

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
- Sam Bennett is completely misused and underused. It's pretty clear he's the most talented center on roster, and should be playing with talent, speed, ice time, and a commitment to getting the most out of him, rather than an afterthought to grind around in corners every game.

I will give you credit for commitment.

Every single game of their careers has shown us that this is not true and yet you still not only totally ignore this but act as though this some undeniable truth.

I am not sure their is another conspiracy theorist/denier/believer out there that believes in something so clearly false as you do in Sam Bennett being a better center than Monahan.

Also not sure how that post got two thanks when it includes that BS above.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Every single game of their careers has shown us that this is not true and yet you still not only totally ignore this but act as though this some undeniable truth.

I am not sure their is another conspiracy theorist/denier/believer out there that believes in something so clearly false as you do in Sam Bennett being a better center than Monahan.

Well Monahan has been inconsistent and pretty bad down the stretch so I can fully understand the wishfull thinking of a real #1 superstar type center.

But yeah Bennett isnt going to be the one. We'd be lucky if he becomes a top 6 player.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Ashamed to be a Flames fan tonight after that embarassing performance in a must win game at home to a sub-.500 team on an 8 game losing streak. 50 shots or not, someone has to bear down and bury something.

And Glen can't get them motivated or ready to go. Just not the right guy for the job.

"He Gone" - *Hawk Harrelson voice*

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This team needs a new coach. I'm not trying to throw Gulutzan under the bus here, but there's just too much that doesn't work with how we approach games.

- The defense don't play an attacking, aggressive style when that's exactly what we need from them.

- Too much stock is put into shot totals. And I think shot attempt differentials are important, but they should come organically through this team's high talent level, not by grinding and cycling for shots right into a positioned and set goaltender.

- There just isn't a good feel for goaltending decisions. Smith should not have played tonight. Rittich should have been right back in net after the Colorado game where he was the only Flame that actually showed up.

- Our powerplays are bad. Even when they score, it feels like we just got a fortunate bounce rather than took advantage of having an extra person on the ice.

- Lines get too stagnant without any fix until it's far too late and the damage has been done. Same applies to defense pairs.

- Late game situations are just inept. That's the only way I can describe it. We must lead the league in empty netters against.

- The penalty kill personnel usage is atrocious. The only reason we don't have a bottom 3rd PK is because of goaltending.

The list really goes on. This team is a cup contending roster being piddled around wasting half their games playing hopeless grinder hockey with the Garnet Hathaways and Troy Brouwers. All teams have their bottom-of-roster grinders but most of them cycle them around when they're playing awful. Hathaway hasn't had an especially memorable game since December. Lazar's been better, yet got scratched for Tanner Glass. It's just nonsensical.

This kind of nails everything, I have nothing against GG but I don't think he is the coach that will take us to the promised land, he has to go. But GG should not take all the heat(he has to go still), Brad Trevling should also feel some heat(Brad Trevling should stay, but he has to fire GG if he wants to stay.)

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Well Monahan has been inconsistent and pretty bad down the stretch so I can fully understand the wishfull thinking of a real #1 superstar type center.

But yeah Bennett isnt going to be the one. We'd be lucky if he becomes a top 6 player.

I have no issue with discussing Sean Monahan as a player and even if he is the right 1C for this team (he is).

Or if Bennett is being used right and should be top 6 (he should) or even center (probably not).

But let's hold off on the Bennetts better than Monahan BS when they are a year apart in age and Bennetts best year is comparable to Monahan worse year and he is struggling to produce as many points as Monahan is goals. That's the issue I repeatedly have with that narrative.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I know you're fishing for a pissing match between my factual observations and your alternative facts where icetime, linemates, two-way play, intensity, and a plethora of other things don't exist and point totals exist in a vacuum, but I'll leave it at this:

Monahan is an important top six forward for the Calgary Flames. But he does not control shifts like Sam Bennett when Sam Bennett is not babysitting Bartkowskis and Hathaways. Monahan is a finisher. He's a Jarri Kurri. A Dany Healey. A Joe Pavelski. A Dustin Brown. A Tomas Holmstrom. A Corey Perry. Good teams need finishers. But we're not going anywhere confusing a pure finisher for something he's not, while we have the real deal toiling away on our third line playing the wrong position just because we botched our roster depth by waiving Paul Byron and signing Troy Brouwer.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Why do you always say babysitting Bartkowski? Since when is Bennett babysitting Bartkowski?

And is there a single credible poster, coach, scout, media member, player etc. that agrees that Sam Bennett is a better player than Monahan?

All the stats are so far in Monahan favour that of course you want to ignore them for things that only you see. How you can state that you use factual observations, which for the most part are wrong, but ignore the actual facts we have?

Using observations is fine by me as well because Bennett fails thee as well. Watching them play it is clear that Monahan is the better player and it has nothing to do with line mates. In the 3 games he re dntkh played with the top line he was clearly 3rd best.

Yes his linemates have been bad but they hold him back from being a potential 40 point guy. He has shown zero indication of being able to be a better player than Monahan or having the skill to match his production under any circumstances.

I not looking for s pissing match and actually love Bennett but what you try to pass off as factual observations is pure crap. I guess I could just ignore it like most of the other posters do, I assume because they are just tired of reading the same crap over and over again, but when it is clearly so wrong I dont really see the point in not pointing it out.

Last edited:

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Man is this team ever feast or famine.

The first 25 minutes the Flames stunk loudly. Calling them a dumpster fire would have been a compliment.

The following 35 minutes (math checks out) they completely dominated but couldn't get anything by that Finnish goalie with the weird name.

I know it wouldn't have helped in any case, but I counted at least four obvious penalties against the Isles that went uncalled in the 3rd, such as a few two-handed slashes, an obvious hold - the one-arm takedown off the faceoff. Can't blame Wideman anymore, so what is it?

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
As for GG, I hope he sticks around for next season. It's pretty obvious this team lacks depth though (as in, it's bad depth). It's amazing to me a team so great up-front can be this middling. But hey, the season's not over yet, just really disappointing to lay a egg at home against the frikkin isles.

The Flames do seem to miss the net, frustratingly, on a lot of good chances, but so does their opposition most nights. It's part of hockey.
Flames miss 26% of their shots. Their opponents miss 24%. I don't know if 2% is a huge difference, but I assume it's the sort of the thing that add up. Maybe, maybe not. I don't know.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I know it wouldn't have helped in any case, but I counted at least four obvious penalties against the Isles that went uncalled in the 3rd, such as a few two-handed slashes, an obvious hold - the one-arm takedown off the faceoff. Can't blame Wideman anymore, so what is it?

Its being a fan. Every single fanbase complains about calls against their team so it isn't just a Flames issue.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know you're fishing for a pissing match between my factual observations and your alternative facts where icetime, linemates, two-way play, intensity, and a plethora of other things don't exist and point totals exist in a vacuum, but I'll leave it at this:

Monahan is an important top six forward for the Calgary Flames. But he does not control shifts like Sam Bennett when Sam Bennett is not babysitting Bartkowskis and Hathaways. Monahan is a finisher. He's a Jarri Kurri. A Dany Healey. A Joe Pavelski. A Dustin Brown. A Tomas Holmstrom. A Corey Perry. Good teams need finishers. But we're not going anywhere confusing a pure finisher for something he's not, while we have the real deal toiling away on our third line playing the wrong position just because we botched our roster depth by waiving Paul Byron and signing Troy Brouwer.

Alternative facts?
_93773607_037249871-1.jpg

I don't like be defending Baxterman OKG, but for a man who has beaten the drums on advanced stats to rely on "my factual observations" and counter with an argument that's straight from the playbook of orange orangutan, this is a new low for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipetype

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I would be hilarious if they come out flat and get blown out by the Oilers tomorrow after the "maintenance" day.

Would not be a surprise based on history though...afterall we got blown out by Detroit and Ottawa

Fire GG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad