GDT: Flames vs. Bisons. 7pm MT on SNW

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I actually have less of a concern that our 4th line winger was taking important defensive zone faceoffs (repeatedly)

My issue is that they were out there for 90 seconds. That's fine in the first period, but downright idiotic in the fourth.

GG is an inexperienced coach, so we can expect things like that. Hopefully he learns from it because that was just stupid.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I actually have less of a concern that our 4th line winger was taking important defensive zone faceoffs (repeatedly)

My issue is that they were out there for 90 seconds. That's fine in the first period, but downright idiotic in the fourth.

GG is an inexperienced coach, so we can expect things like that. Hopefully he learns from it because that was just stupid.
How inexperienced is he really though? This is his third full season as a head coach, second with this team, plus a handful of years as an AC. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that what he was doing was moronic. Half the armchair GMs on this board recognize that.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
At least they maintained the streak of giving up 3 or fewer goals. 20 games in a row now, and while 11-4-5 is a good record over 20 you’d think it would be better given the goals against stat. Offensive consistency is certainly this teams problem and that starts with the powerplay

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
So much this. The team couldn't make a pass to save their lives last night. I lost track of the number of times they got forced into cycling the puck in their own zone.

Yup. This and they turned the puck over so many times in the neutral zone and right at the buff blue line. Painful game to be at.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
You guys need to be a bit more positive. This team is notorious for slow starts after any lengthy break. We are not a perfect team, and this is an area of major weakness...GG made some questionable decisions for sure, but the team played like garabge. But we have two points in two games since returning. They need to just focus on tomorrow, and our first line needs to step up, Monahan has been invisible in the last two games. This is a playoff caliber team, and I'm betting we bounce back.

You have to also keep in mind that most of our best players are still pretty young, especially our forwards, which makes consistency tough to come by...I do question GG as a head coach though. How do you have 3 guys out there for 90 seconds in OT? how do you lose match ups during a home game? why does our third pairing see the ice with our fourth line?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
No that great TBH. He had some good board battles though, and a solid blocked shot which hurt him. He was working hard, that's for sure. But i wouldn't worry, I cannot imagine Treliving is going to offer up a better package than other GMs to land him. He'll be the top prize at the deadline and we don't have the pieces unless you feel like giving up someone like Backlund from our current roster.

At most I imagine we are looking at a guy like Chris Stewart. Not a lot of perceived reward, but the cost should be a middling prospect of ours. And if Stewart ever decided to give a damn, that trade could be a solid piece for this year and the playoffs. It'd be nice to have his size for a pacific (large teams) PO battle.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I honestly cannot think of a more horrible coaching decision in recent flames history. You cannot even get mad at Brouwer, he was actually decent on that final kill. Stone was a complete beast. But using Brouwer when Backlund is on the bench is mind boggling. Then on top of that mistake he leaves them out there when he had two chances to change them...What in the actual hell was GG thinking?

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I honestly cannot think of a more horrible coaching decision in recent flames history. You cannot even get mad at Brouwer, he was actually decent on that final kill. Stone was a complete beast. But using Brouwer when Backlund is on the bench is mind boggling. Then on top of that mistake he leaves them out there when he had two chances to change them...What in the actual hell was GG thinking?

Backlund was the one who took the penalty.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That was a rookie mistake by GG, no getting around that. No self-respecting hockey player will ever say "take me off coach, I'm gassed"

It's another case of him struggling with game management. Partly explains why we're so awful at home.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Bennett to me is a perfect 3v4 PK'er.
Speed and IQ. Brouwer couldn't get to loose pucks. He failed two clears in the OT.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Brouwer taking those FO's didn't make any sense in the moment and it doesn't make sense in hindsight. Both of those faceoffs were crucial, you want you best FO center out there taking them. With Backlund in the box, Stajan or Monahan were the logical choices.

The only reason to use Brouwer there is because you want to send a 'message' to the other centers.

Pants-on-head choice by the coach there and 'inexperience' ain't an excuse on something so blatant. Imagine if this had been a playoff game.

(and this isn't me hating on Brouwer, I thought he had a mostly good game).

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Brouwer is his #2 PKer now that Froliks out. So I understand it from Gulutzan's perspective but I think Brouwer is a horrible PKer, he's basically a pylon out there he hardly ever moves. If you watch the more successful PKs out there they're very aggressive and look to force mistakes as well as defend.

Brouwer had more ice time than Gaudreau last night...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Regardless, even strength OT shifts are much shorter than in regulation so keeping a player out for 90 seconds in a defensive situation in OT is madness

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Better than your average winger but not better than Monahan or Stajan.

For instance Brouwer is 42.0% on FO this year, 31% last year.
Yeah I just checked the stats. Pretty brutal in Calgary but he was hovering at 55% in his Caps days with a big sample size

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Special teams, line management, get up for important games, ready for home games after road trips....all those are coach issues

If the Flames do not make the playoff, GG has to go. Probably BT as well for mortgaging the future with GG.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah I just checked the stats. Pretty brutal in Calgary but he was hovering at 55% in his Caps days with a big sample size

Brouwer was adequate...problem was GG overused him because f***ing Monahan and company are still on the break. I am beginning to get tired of Monahan. He is too much of a passenger, when Gaudreau is not clicking, he is toast....nothing from him. A f***ing 6.5M coat tail

Not sure why people except for OKG keep giving him free passes

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Brouwer was adequate...problem was GG overused him because ****ing Monahan and company are still on the break. I am beginning to get tired of Monahan. He is too much of a passenger, when Gaudreau is not clicking, he is toast....nothing from him. A ****ing 6.5M coat tail

Not sure why people except for OKG keep giving him free passes

Monahan has been slipping lately but that doesn't mean at all that he's a bad player or useless without Gaudreau.

Reactions: crackdown44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad