GDT: Flames visit Predators. 6pm MT on SNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Having a dope week at a spa in Kelowna and didn't catch the game. Caught the highlights, and happy for the win.

Looks like it Was a solid game from the boys. Hope they keep it up.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yet watching the games does imply that Brett Kulak is like, 20 orders of magnitude better than the alternative and has the ability to swing momentum the correct way.
Please tell me more about the moments in last night's game where Brett Kulak swung momentum the correct way.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Correlation does not imply causation.
I hate this stupid saying. 90% of the time it's used as a lazy hand wave like this and the other 10% it serves no purpose whatsoever. Causation causes correlation. Correlations frequently implies causation. The large majority of scientific theories wouldn't even exist if those two permises weren't accepted. That's either step one or two of building any kind of analysis.

In this particular case, over the past three years, quite a bit of strong, various statistical evidences were presented to you and everyone else here that Kulak is a solid 5v5 defensemen. Every single time it's dismissed as just weak correlation and the result of QoC, as if it's any different to any other bottom pair dmen.

We're not going to change each others' mind or anything. I can't help this is like clockwork. I'm looking forward to someone else making the exact same point in three months. Hopefully at that point, by some miracle, Kulak won't be back in the doghouse.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I hate this stupid saying. 90% of the time it's used as a lazy hand wave like this and the other 10% it serves no purpose whatsoever. Causation causes correlation. Correlations frequently implies causation. The large majority of scientific theories wouldn't even exist if those two permises weren't accepted. That's either step one or two of building any kind of analysis.

How is this a stupid saying? It's a formal rhetorical fallacy (ad hoc ergo propter hoc). Is everyone saying it correct to invoke the principle? No, of course not. There are many times when you can actually support your theory for the causative relationship. But saying "Kulak plays and our team has its two best games" is exactly the right sort of situation to respond with that, because it's not a causative relationship unless one is analyzing the games with massive confirmation bias. It's a lazy statement to make by OKG, and he's being rightfully called out for it.

By the way, I've been more confident in the third pairing with Kulak. I think he's much better than Bartkowski, and he would've done the team a big favour if he'd shown that in the pre-season instead of looking like a deer in the headlights at every opportunity. I think he's made the team better for those 10-14 minutes a night. But to say that the rest of the team has been playing better hockey because of a moderate improvement to the third pairing? That's just garbage, lazy analysis.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
How is this a stupid saying? It's a formal rhetorical fallacy (ad hoc ergo propter hoc). Is everyone saying it correct to invoke the principle? No, of course not. There are many times when you can actually support your theory for the causative relationship. But saying "Kulak plays and our team has its two best games" is exactly the right sort of situation to respond with that, because it's not a causative relationship unless one is analyzing the games with massive confirmation bias. It's a lazy statement to make by OKG, and he's being rightfully called out for it.

By the way, I've been more confident in the third pairing with Kulak. I think he's much better than Bartkowski, and he would've done the team a big favour if he'd shown that in the pre-season instead of looking like a deer in the headlights at every opportunity. I think he's made the team better for those 10-14 minutes a night. But to say that the rest of the team has been playing better hockey because of a moderate improvement to the third pairing? That's just garbage, lazy analysis.

Us playing better last night had more to do with our top 3 lines playing well and taking less stupid penalties, not our #6 D.

Reactions: Cyrano

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
In this particular case, over the past three years, quite a bit of strong, various statistical evidences were presented to you and everyone else here that Kulak is a solid 5v5 defensemen. Every single time it's dismissed as just weak correlation and the result of QoC, as if it's any different to any other bottom pair dmen.

We're not going to change each others' mind or anything. I can't help this is like clockwork. I'm looking forward to someone else making the exact same point in three months. Hopefully at that point, by some miracle, Kulak won't be back in the doghouse.
I don't think Kulak (or any #6 defenseman for that matter) is important enough to the team to turn around an entire season. That kind of hyperbole is why people get entrenched into ridiculous opinions on the internet.

My only major issues with Kulak have been his shift to shift consistency, and speed of his decision making - neither major issues for a #6D (Hi Engelland) The only other problem I have is that if the Flames weren't going to play him, he should be playing 30 minutes/night in Stockton, not the pressbox. (likely affecting his consistency to be honest)

I'm happy he's playing - and I was surprised he played more last night than first game in. Based on the eye test he's playing well enough to stick around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad