GDT: Flames @ Stars, Emergency Village Burning Edition

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Thank the Stars, +2 Puljujarvi points

I'm about done on the season. That spark's just not there this year.
5th worst team in the NHL; and I honestly think that this team is probably where it belongs. It seems like if we get one thing, we don't get another. Have a good team game going? Well the goalie can't stop a thing. Goalie hot? The team doesn't defend. Defence shutting the team down? Team doesn't have the puck all night and little to no offence created.

1-3-1 on the road trip. At least 7 points back from 3rd in the division, 10 points back from the wildcard. That's incredibly difficult to climb back up. I know there's a stat that says where teams are in December vs their final rankings; and it's always really close... We're now down January, I imagine the likelihood of Calgary in the playoffs is next to nothing.

The only victory to this season, will be drafting Matthews, one of the Finns, Tkachuk or Nylander. Honestly. And this team needs it bad. There's just not enough talent out there nightly to compete; and when the team doesn't work harder than the other guys... we're not winning.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Compared to the first 6 weeks of the season, the Flames are definitely playing better. But we aren't where we need to be by a long shot. The Colbornes, Jones, Jooris, and Raymond, our depth guys aren't good enough. By no means am I part of this recent "Monahan hate train", but he's still so young and were asking a lot of him. Bennett is in the exact spot. Hudler is not the Hudler from last year and that is such a huge blow. Backlund and Frolik have been great for their roles, but they're complimentary pieces and not topline players. Our D overall is fine, I suppose. And our goaltending needs to be great every night (and it hasn't been) or we basically lose each game. This team has some nice pieces, but we aren't there yet. The younger guys aren't ready yet either and I question if Huska is the right guy to get them ready.

Treliving is a smart guy and he won't hold onto assets that are not part of our future. He likes draft picks and I fully expect the Flames to sell some pieces, and that's just fine. It's a process, were still trending the right way but we clearly are not there this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad