Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Tyler Wotherspoon to 1 yr deal

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Nice to see, I'm also pretty surprised it's a two way deal. Brad must figure that he can sneak him through waivers at some point.

Personally, I think he'll get traded at some point this season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not too surprised to see it's a two-way. Not out of the realm of possibility that a Kylington/Andersson/Kulak win a spot out of camp, and with Wideman being untradeable, there'd be no spots left then. Or if Smid's healthy, then the top-7 is already set.

Good to see him signed though. Still has the potential to be a top-four one day.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Nice to see, I'm also pretty surprised it's a two way deal. Brad must figure that he can sneak him through waivers at some point.

Personally, I think he'll get traded at some point this season.

It wouldn't matter if he signed him to a one way deal. He would still have to pass through either way.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
It wouldn't matter if he signed him to a one way deal. He would still have to pass through either way.

From reading his post it sounds like he's aware that he would have to clear waivers. Hence the sneak him through part. Just once he clears he'd have the lower salary.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
From reading his post it sounds like he's aware that he would have to clear waivers. Hence the sneak him through part. Just once he clears he'd have the lower salary.

Yes, this. I wouldn't understand the push for a two-way if Brad didn't expect him to be in the AHL (and thus pass through waivers) at some point this year.

Also, I saw the details as 625k for NHL salary and 125k for AHL salary. Seems almost too team-friendly, hopefully the relationship between the camps hasn't been damaged.

Also, why would TSpoon want this deal as opposed to his QO? It's like 300k less.... Does a QO give a lower AHL salary than the 125k that he got?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yes, this. I wouldn't understand the push for a two-way if Brad didn't expect him to be in the AHL (and thus pass through waivers) at some point this year.

Also, I saw the details as 625k for NHL salary and 125k for AHL salary. Seems almost too team-friendly, hopefully the relationship between the camps hasn't been damaged.

Also, why would TSpoon want this deal as opposed to his QO? It's like 300k less.... Does a QO give a lower AHL salary than the 125k that he got?

Probably.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

A qualifying offer does not give a raise in the AHL, he's made $67,500 in the AHL the past 3 years IIRC, so that would have been his AHL salary on a QO as well. Wotherspoon almost doubled his AHL salary with this deal, smart move by him IMO.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I really want to see him up with the Flames full-time next year. He's always looked solid in his call ups and has definitely shown he's an NHL quality defencman IMO.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Happy we kept T-Spoon. Underrated guy who looked like an NHLer with his time up here.

Feel he might be a casualty just because of the D prospects coming up; but this is a solid, decent skating dman.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Modern day defensive defenseman. Really happy we have him signed. Would like to keep him as i still believe that one day soon he will be a hreat partner beside Hamilton. Someone to watch his back and keeps things steady in the D-Zone. Underated player by our board

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Modern day defensive defenseman. Really happy we have him signed. Would like to keep him as i still believe that one day soon he will be a hreat partner beside Hamilton. Someone to watch his back and keeps things steady in the D-Zone. Underated player by our board

I agree with him being a modern day defensive D. Long gone are the days when guys who couldn't skate and didn't put up any points hold down a major defensive role. The Engels type dmen and Smido types are fading fast.

You look at guys that'd be considered top defensive D in the league; Vlasic, Hjalmarsson or DD... All can skate, put some points up and add some physicality here and there.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I would think he'd get some interest on the waiver wire.
I wonder why only 1 year?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3