Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Oliver Kylington to ELC

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks for posting the link guys! Ideally, I'd like to see Kylington in the AHL and judging by his comments in this article that sounds as if it is his likely destination. I'm so excited about this kid, I really dig his confidence.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Brandon Wheatkings would be a better developmental option unless the Flames somehow ensure Kylington plays a fair number of minutes of a night with Stockton. The WHL would be a better road than the ECHL too.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The Brandon Wheatkings would be a better developmental option unless the Flames somehow ensure Kylington plays a fair number of minutes of a night with Stockton. The WHL would be a better road than the ECHL too.

Why do you think WHL would be better than ECHL? My understanding of Kylington is that his primary issue is his defensive thought process, and the CHL (compared to other developmental leagues) is pretty well-known for giving its offensive players a free pass defensively in a lot of cases.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

It'd probably be:
AHL > WHL > NHL > AIK > ECHL

AHL would be good for top minutes, if he can get it; professional development is the best. WHL would be second, he'd get good development there. NHL would be third, professional development; but he might be out of his element as a young man versus guys with more development.

AIK would be 4th, it's a pro league; but they don't care as much about development of someone like Kylington who is not really their property moving forward. ECHL would be dead last. Competition is low, development is poor and it's a nobody league; Kylington would be better off developing with kids his own age or with higher tier pros like in the AHL.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why do you think WHL would be better than ECHL? My understanding of Kylington is that his primary issue is his defensive thought process, and the CHL (compared to other developmental leagues) is pretty well-known for giving its offensive players a free pass defensively in a lot of cases.
Stability and more minutes to work on things. Twenty to 30 minutes in all situations might just be better than rotating between the bottom pairing and the pressbox. And the Flames can make it clear to Kylington that they know he can produce offense, but he needs to concentrate on improving defensively. If the Wheatkings aren't contenders next season, they should be amenable to that.

How he looks in training camp could be a big factor I guess. That and money of course.

It'd probably be:
AHL > WHL > NHL > AIK > ECHL

AHL would be good for top minutes, if he can get it; professional development is the best. WHL would be second, he'd get good development there. NHL would be third, professional development; but he might be out of his element as a young man versus guys with more development.

AIK would be 4th, it's a pro league; but they don't care as much about development of someone like Kylington who is not really their property moving forward. ECHL would be dead last. Competition is low, development is poor and it's a nobody league; Kylington would be better off developing with kids his own age or with higher tier pros like in the AHL.

I agree; just don't know if Kylington would get those minutes.

Wotherspoon - Culkin
Sieloff - Morrison
Stevenson - Kulak
Kanzig

Figure at least one if not two more AHL veteran defensemen will be signed. Unless the Flames move an NHL defensemen (i.e. Smid or Wideman) or there's a slew of injuries, there's not much room for Kylington.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's very simple, Treliving tells Huska how many minutes to play Kylington a night. They are trying to develop an elite, top pairing dman. Treliving is Huska's boss, the goal down there is development, not winning game per se. That's the whole point of having him play is so we can control his development.

I'm fine with sitting him a few games here and there so he can get another look from the pressbox, but they can ride him a lot playing in Stockton. I think the AHL is easily the best option for him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's very simple, Treliving tells Huska how many minutes to play Kylington a night. They are trying to develop an elite, top pairing dman. Treliving is Huska's boss, the goal down there is development, not winning game per se. That's the whole point of having him play is so we can control his development.

I'm fine with sitting him a few games here and there so he can get another look from the pressbox, but they can ride him a lot playing in Stockton. I think the AHL is easily the best option for him.

It's not that simple, really, because the Flames are invested in the development of more than one prospect. Having Kylington out there for X minutes if he can't keep up could have serious trickle-down effects, both in terms of skills development and mental development, for all of the other prospects playing on the team who see Kylington's needs being put above anyone else's.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If he were to really struggle, then yes I think you can definitely scale back his minutes. But I don't view it as any different as if a team were to trade for a top pairing dman. You are going to play him accordingly to his role. If Kylington were in way over his head, then I agree you can't play him in situations that he's not ready for and would adjust his minutes accordingly, but I really think his defensive deficiencies are being overblown somewhat. The AHL is the place where you can give your guys a little rope and coach them through their struggles. If he's not ready to handle pro hockey, then that's a whole other conversation to have but I don't think that is the case.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's not that simple, really, because the Flames are invested in the development of more than one prospect. Having Kylington out there for X minutes if he can't keep up could have serious trickle-down effects, both in terms of skills development and mental development, for all of the other prospects playing on the team who see Kylington's needs being put above anyone else's.

True enough, but even if he's the 6th dman, they can structure the pairings something like 22/20/18. 18 minutes a night is plenty of playing time. Even if he ends up subbing out occasionally so that someone like Sieloff can have a run, I think that's enough for his development. Or if not that, then put him on the top pairing in the ECHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
True enough, but even if he's the 6th dman, they can structure the pairings something like 22/20/18. 18 minutes a night is plenty of playing time. Even if he ends up subbing out occasionally so that someone like Sieloff can have a run, I think that's enough for his development. Or if not that, then put him on the top pairing in the ECHL.

I don't really disagree with this. I think as long as you can keep him at around 20 min a night, that's pretty good. Give him PP time as well obviously. For me, the big thing is the Flames can have a really hands on approach with his development.

But again it's not a lot different than giving guys like Poirier and Klimchuk gauaranteed top 6 time. You're trying to develop top 6 players, so it's playing them in position.

snizzbone*

Would be awesome if he went to the WHL imo. Brandon is the clear cut contenders for the Mem Cup right now, assuming Provorov doesn't make the Flyers. Adding Kylington would be insane.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think he's going to play, he was one of the top ranked European skaters in last years draft. He just needs some stability next year and a good start to the season, I think all things are attainable for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad