Confirmed with Link: Flames sign Jagr (1YRx$1M + bonuses) EDIT: Assigned to Kladno (Czech)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The 3 gen line was really weird looking, but I'm seeing bits and pieces of something very interesting. In a good way. I noticed Versteeg sticking his butt out there to protect the puck. The 3 gen line having issues passing to one another, but once they start getting more used to one another, IMO things will really start to take off.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
The 3 gen line was really weird looking, but I'm seeing bits and pieces of something very interesting. In a good way. I noticed Versteeg sticking his butt out there to protect the puck. The 3 gen line having issues passing to one another, but once they start getting more used to one another, IMO things will really start to take off.

I think it's a good mix. Bennett and Jagr both have great puck protection, Versteeg plays the angles as the open man. I was really impressed by how they were able to dig themselves in the o-zone tonight.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think it's a good mix. Bennett and Jagr both have great puck protection, Versteeg plays the angles as the open man. I was really impressed by how they were able to dig themselves in the o-zone tonight.

Agreed. That really long shift where they completely dominated possession in the ozone was super cool. I honestly think the defense was confused what to do. Whether to pinch or hold the point. Something similar happened with the Dzone due to Smith as Dmen/forwards were confused how far back to go.

Things are really rough around the edges so far on different lines and systems and chemistry etc, but I'm much more wildly optimistic than I was in the off season. I like how some lines don't look like different roles in the same system. Some look like completely different systems. It's nearly reckless in the same way as Hartley's coaching, but with real theory behind it that seems to work when the players figure it out.

Reactions: Cyrano

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Jagr is actually so much better than I expected. He could absolutely flirt with 45 points this year with some good puck luck.

GG needs to tell the d-men to sneak in when a 3 man cycle is going for a chance. Several times today, 3gen was controlling the puck but nobody could get open for a shot. Would be good to use the other 2 guys as additional options.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Jagr had a solid first game, but he was having some skate issues by the looks of it. I dont think you can really judge him or that line until he has 3-5 games under his belt. Hes still getting up to game speed and some things just arent there yet and will only get there with game time.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think if the team gives him some time off to rehab that groin injury he'll be fine. Hope he doesn't retire

Reactions: Pomee

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Honestly, wouldn't shock me if it was a contract termination so he could go play in the KHL.

I think he will want to play in the Olympics and with the KHL still being unsure of whether they are going to let guys go I doubt he goes there. Probably would just go skate with his team in Czech and then decide what to do after the Olympics.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think he will want to play in the Olympics and with the KHL still being unsure of whether they are going to let guys go I doubt he goes there. Probably would just go skate with his team in Czech and then decide what to do after the Olympics.

Jagr's stated flat out that he's retired from Olympic hockey

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Jagr's stated flat out that he's retired from Olympic hockey

Fair enough i missed that.

I assumed that's what the out clauses were for as I don't see the point of going to play in the NHL at his age.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Fair enough i missed that.

I assumed that's what the out clauses were for as I don't see the point of going to play in the NHL at his age.
It's not an "out clause", it's nothing more than a handshake agreement.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It's not an "out clause", it's nothing more than a handshake agreement.

Sure bad wording on my part.

I meant that there clearly seems to be an agreement that if either side didn't feel it was working to go their seperate ways.

It could just be that Jagr doesn't want to be an old guy dragging the team down and from his end that was why he was willing to go that route but I had assumed the agreement was made with a more concrete idea in mind from Jagr's perspective i.e. if its not working by New Years i will leave and go to the Olympics but apparently that is not the case.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I regret nothing, Jagr is my favorite player ever, still happy to see him pull on the jersey.

And even with his limited time here and less than stellar play, I still think he had a beneficial Impact on Jankowski and Bennett because of how smart he is.

Reactions: Pomee

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm glad I got to see him live in Vancouver. Pretty fortunate for me as it turns out. He was pretty good that game, too, and I especially liked him getting fed up with Virtanen and trying to put him in a headlock right in front of the referee.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Put him on the LTIR, let him recover. If he's ready to go by the end of the season, good on him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Put him on the LTIR, let him recover. If he's ready to go by the end of the season, good on him.
We can't put him on LTIR, a replacement player would have to put us over the cap to do so. I also don't think the league will allow that, seeing as he seems to be a game day decision every game.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I hope another team grabs him.
I don't know if Jags is leaving because he thinks he should be in the lineup, but his recent displays have suggested he cannot get himself fit enough to keep up with the game. Our team is better suited with young players who can skate.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Me and II we’re chatting, wonder if there was any kind of conflict with him and Gully. In all honesty though, I’m not sure there would be a ton of grounds for him to throw mud at management, he’s been hurt all year. But I am very curious to know what he thinks of the coach.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Me and II we’re chatting, wonder if there was any kind of conflict with him and Gully. In all honesty though, I’m not sure there would be a ton of grounds for him to throw mud at management, he’s been hurt all year. But I am very curious to know what he thinks of the coach.
Jagr mentioned he had a good relationship with GG at the Stars. Might be pissed at him after the bag skate that resulted in the groin injury.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad