Confirmed with Link: Flames sign college FA D Josh Healey

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Edmonton kid.
Good offensive numbers as a D on Ohio State; I dunno. Kenny replacement or something? :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A Healey article

Today, the Big Ten suspended Healey for two games for a hit midway through Saturday night's game against the University of Minnesota. Healey was assessed a five-minute major and game misconduct for contact to the head.

Healey likely got the two-game suspension because he was previously suspended for one game for a hitting major against Wisconsin on Jan. 28. He also had a five-minute major for a hit in a game on Jan. 7, but that didn't result in a suspension.

"Hits too hard for college hockey," another NHL scout said. "His game will be better suited to pro."

Healey is listed at 6-feet and 196 pounds. Scouts say he's a decent first-pass defenceman but his forte is open-ice hitting and playing a hard, physical game. He projects as a depth or perhaps third-pairing type defenceman. He’s not a sure bet to play in the NHL, but certainly worth a shot.

"It's not a great year [for college free agents]," an NHL executive said. "[Healey] will get a contract. There's lots of interest in him."

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Doesn't hurt to have toughness in the system.
I guess we'll see how he progresses in the AHL.

Lately, I've been losing confidence in our coaching at the AHL level. We've had few somewhat promising prospects level out or hit a wall with our AHL club.

I wouldn't be against moving Gelinas down there or bringing in someone else.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I heard Friedman talk about him yesterday. Doesn't sound like a malicious player, but definitely plays the game on the line and sometimes that has gotten him into trouble (5 total suspensions in 2 years I think). I don't know anything about him so I won't pretend to, but it sounds like he could be targeted for the Heat, he needs to control his play a little more and then maybe there's some upside there.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Free stuff! Decent. Could be a hard hitting 3rd pairing guy down the line, or AHL depth. Either way count me in.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
What I vaguely remember was Tuulola having his way with him.

Yeah. I was there too but honestly couldn't tell you a thing about him - didn't stand out either way.

Foo was the one college guy that stood out (positively) to me, but I'm not sure if he's an FA this year or not.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Well, Stockton's defence is going to be quite different next year. With Healey, Ollas-Mattsson and Hickey (at least he should be) being brought in, it looks like the end of the road for Wotherspoon, Culkin and Aulie in the Flames organization. Assuming Kulak graduates, there's

LD:
Kylington
Hickey
Ollas-Mattsson
Healey
Kanzig

RD:
Andersson
Morrison? (RFA)
Doetzel? (AHL contract)
Kostka? (UFA)

Official:

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Don't know anything about the player, but it seems like a really strange decision to me. The prospect pool has its hole but if there's anything we're not lacking of, it's LHD prospects. On the other hand, our RW depth is shallow and this year there was lots of good college free agents at that position.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Don't know anything about the player, but it seems like a really strange decision to me. The prospect pool has its hole but if there's anything we're not lacking of, it's LHD prospects. On the other hand, our RW depth is shallow and this year there was lots of good college free agents at that position.

Stockpiling young Dmen with upside can pay off as trade assets for forward help

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
not just that but he isn't a puck moving or playmaking defenseman, he's a physical defensive defenseman; something we don't really have much of regardless of what way he shoots.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Considering even a 'stockpiled' prospect pool has a very limited chance at actually having many players graduate to anything meaningful, not the worst idea to just keep bringing in guys who might have a chance.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Flames like this guy, I seriously doubt a single poster on here saw him play a game this season. If they like him, it's for a reason.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Well, Stockton's defence is going to be quite different next year. With Healey, Ollas-Mattsson and Hickey (at least he should be) being brought in, it looks like the end of the road for Wotherspoon, Culkin and Aulie in the Flames organization. Assuming Kulak graduates, there's

LD:
Kylington
Hickey
Ollas-Mattsson
Healey
Kanzig

RD:
Andersson
Morrison? (RFA)
Doetzel? (AHL contract)
Kostka? (UFA)

Official:

I'm guessing he starts in the ECHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
So I just heard the Treliving interview on this, Leslie asked him for a comparable. Treliving was reluctant to say this but mentioned Gudas because you always need to be aware when he's on the ice. He said he plays the game on the line, is a great hitter and has really good foot speed and also makes a good first pass. From a pure organizational need, I like this. He looks like a pitbull.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
So I just heard the Treliving interview on this, Leslie asked him for a comparable. Treliving was reluctant to say this but mentioned Gudas because you always need to be aware when he's on the ice. He said he plays the game on the line, is a great hitter and has really good foot speed and also makes a good first pass. From a pure organizational need, I like this. He looks like a pitbull.

Here's the full interview.
Treliving said the main reason for signing Healy was the fact that they traded some draft picks, and signing him helps recoup that loss in a way.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Makes a lot of sense with no 2nd or 3rd this year, so adding Healey at his current age is like a 2nd rounder. If he ends up being Sieloff plus then cool.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Makes a lot of sense with no 2nd or 3rd this year, so adding Healey at his current age is like a 2nd rounder. If he ends up being Sieloff plus then cool.

So what you're telling me is we'll trade him in a couple years with the expectation that he'll take out an opponents top 6 winger in training camp? :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->