GDT: Flames @ Red Wings, 5:30 mt

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
We beat a hot team in their own barn for our first dub of the year, that's pretty encouraging. I hate to say it, but Zad's absence was pretty noticeable tonight, in a good way. Still glad we have him as an option, but I like the pairings Sutter rolled out tonight. That 3rd-pair RD could be any one of Guddy, Zad, or Stone, really.

Reactions: Boomstick

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
First Dubya

f18c7847d04ed5c31bdaf89a1ff81816f4da0634.gifv

tumblr_pjgan5KK5S1qdy56ro2_500.gifv

pizza-icegif-2.gif

Last edited:

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Dare I say Gudbranson is good? Maybe not that far but he seems to have a good thought process out there, has made more tape to tape passes in 3 games than I expected from him all year, and has overall been a positive impact. Even his horrible giveaway tonight was moreso a good play by Detroit to force the puck that way (not even sure if that's where he put it). Kylington was also a world beater tonight it felt. Had some quiet shifts but goddamn, if he had support when he just walked twice and ripped hard shots, what could've been. No way to justify scratching him there. Having a dependable 2A/B pairing with Kylington and Tanev makes the whole defensive outlook so much better than anywhere Zadorov fits.

Thought Dube had an up and down game (honestly don't know who didn't on the team). Dumb play to just hit Staal randomly, but he set up that 2nd goal by driving in with speed and with good handles. Gotta keep giving him runway at centre tho.

Tkachuk stood out as bad to me tbh. A lot of listless passes nowhere, just... meh. Pitlick and Lucic were also a bit meh without a ton of upside in their game.

Regardless, I think we just saw some great examples of how Markstrom is a difference maker. Stood tall to snag a win when the Flames looked bad, while him not making the big saves cost them earlier against the Ducks.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Didn't really think the Flames played all that well but Kyller was noticeable and so was Dube playing C. Markstrom was very solid, calm and big in net. Top line got their goal but seemed a bit out of sync. If Hanifin can ever develop some finish he'll be an excellent top pairing defender.

Good : Kylington, Hanifin, Markstrom, Tanev, Dube, Mangiapane, Pitlick, Gudbranson(bad giveaway but 2pts is 2pts!), Gaudreau

Mostly Good : Monahan, Backlund, Lewis, Lindholm, Tkachuk

Alright : Valimaki, Ritchie, Andersson

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Hanifin was also super aggressive on jumping in during the play today. Also opted for some plays where he didn't just loop around the net but actually tried to throw it on net or go for a slot pass. If he can attempt those plays to the point where he converts on a few that's huge for the outlook of offense of the D-core with Kylington getting reigns.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Bend but not break comes to mind in this game. Markstrom played great. Yep Gudbranson looks good out there; he's faster than I thought he was. I think this lineup is probably the best one the Flames can muster together other than if any Heat guys really turn it up for a call up in next 3-4 months.

Also I think once Coleman gets around ten games with the Flames he is really going to emerge.

Reactions: Darth Vladar

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Bend but not break comes to mind in this game. Markstrom played great. Yep Gudbranson looks good out there; he's faster than I thought he was. I think this lineup is probably the best one the Flames can muster together other than if any Heat guys really turn it up for a call up in next 3-4 months.

Also I think once Coleman gets around ten games with the Flames he is really going to emerge.

I would love it if Coleman-Backlund-Pitlick could combine for around 55 goals this year

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Loved to see Kylington get in the line up, even better that it was with Tanev. That pairing needs to be given a bit of leash to see where it can go. Guds has also been surprisingly decent. Zadorov should sit until an injury, or longer.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I've been against Monahan on the wing simply because I don't think he will do well with board battles, doesn't make great passes even if he wins the battle for the puck, and isn't fast enough to be sprung on a breakaway but him on the 4th line especially but even in the bottom 6 is just a complete waste. I'd like to see

Top line
Mangiapane - Dube - Monahan
Pitlick - Backlund - Coleman
4th line

Also whoever is in change of our pp should have gone with Ward because I don't know what they are expecting. Monahan is in no man's land except for the occasional bump pass he makes he isn't doing anything and I don't think it's his fault so much as he isn't out in a place to succeed. I'd move Gaudreau off the point and have him lower down to use his playmaking more effectively and move Monahan to the 2nd pp with the entire 2nd unit just feeding him to see if he can find his shot.

1st pp
Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Kylington - Andersson

2nd pp
Mangiapane - Dube - Coleman
Monahan - Hanifin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad