Confirmed with Link: Flames re-sign Brad Treliving

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yes. The tweet he posted is saying that Conroy HAS interviewed for that vacancy.
You mean a guy granted permission to interview was actually interviewed :amazed::amazed::amazed:

That's like announcing I went to the doctor today after I announced it when I made the appointment.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
My point is once permission is granted to interview, the interview happening isn't exactly breaking news. Plus as I also said, it has nothing to do with Treliving and the timing of him signing.

I've been offered job interviews in the past that I've turned down after something else has come up. Maybe Conroy was only interested in the Buffalo vacancy if Treliving was re-signed. He may have been waiting to see how that played out first.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Meh.

cant find a goalie
cant find a coach
cant find a top 6 right winger
builds a soft team core and surrounds it with total deadweight of supposedly meat and potatoes players (Bollig, Bouma, Brouwer etc)

He's not terrible but I just dont get the high praises.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I've been offered job interviews in the past that I've turned down after something else has come up. Maybe Conroy was only interested in the Buffalo vacancy if Treliving was re-signed. He may have been waiting to see how that played out first.
That is a massive reach, there are only 31 GM jobs, they can't exactly afford to be too picky especially going for their first one.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Meh.

cant find a goalie
cant find a coach
cant find a top 6 right winger
builds a soft team core and surrounds it with total deadweight of supposedly meat and potatoes players (Bollig, Bouma, Brouwer etc)

He's not terrible but I just dont get the high praises.

Are you the new DFF or something?
Gully is an excellent coach. This Calgary team was a ridiculously well coached team this year. Top 10 PP, top 15 PK. Top 10 possession team. No issues with the coaching.

He's tried with the goalies. Were you willing to part with Tkachuk to get Fleury in the summer? Part with Backlund for Bishop? Not have Dougie Hamilton to have Jones? He's tried by getting Elliott, it just didn't work.

Is Frolik not a top 6 RW? People here are absolutely ridiculous with this obsession getting a top RW. How many teams have a top line with 3 top line players? Washington? And...? We need Monahan and Gaudreau to hold that line down and someone like Ferland to make space and score when he's given the change.

This team lacks team toughness, so I have no issue with wanting to be tough. We get pushed around against almost everyone. Anaheim bullied us and we had no answers except sitting in the box :laugh:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's entirely possible for someone to be granted permission to interview elsewhere but without actually having something lined up. An opportunity for said person to explore different avenues on their own rather than being approached by another organization.

Conroy interviewing does indicate two things; confirms that the rumors the Sabres were potentially interested in his services were true and that Conroy doesn't want to remain an assistant. Obvious? No not really. James Nill for example remained with the Wings for seemingly forever despite opportunities for advancement elsewhere.

Also, Conroy's role here is akin to Treliving's in Phoenix; basically has his hand in everything from scouting to negotiations. Seems like a smart guy so it'd be a shame to lose him. Maybe Maloney ends up taking his place if he leaves. Regardless, I'm much happier with Treliving sticking around than going with Conroy.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Are you the new DFF or something?
Gully is an excellent coach. This Calgary team was a ridiculously well coached team this year. Top 10 PP, top 15 PK. Top 10 possession team. No issues with the coaching.

He's tried with the goalies. Were you willing to part with Tkachuk to get Fleury in the summer? Part with Backlund for Bishop? Not have Dougie Hamilton to have Jones? He's tried by getting Elliott, it just didn't work.

Is Frolik not a top 6 RW? People here are absolutely ridiculous with this obsession getting a top RW. How many teams have a top line with 3 top line players? Washington? And...? We need Monahan and Gaudreau to hold that line down and someone like Ferland to make space and score when he's given the change.

This team lacks team toughness, so I have no issue with wanting to be tough. We get pushed around against almost everyone. Anaheim bullied us and we had no answers except sitting in the box :laugh:

I can go out and sign an assistant coach off another team since they will jump on that opportunity. Gully has been outcoached so many times its not even funny. Takes him 50 games to adjust. Not giving Tre credit for giving a mediocre (at best) assistant coach a Head coach gig.

Frolik is borderline second line winger, I'm not expecting a Pavel Bure but I do expect better than Chiasson/Brouwer. Fairly well paid Frolik as the only top 6 Rwinger doesnt make Tre a wizard in my books.

Monahan/Gaudreau are NOT good enough to carry someone like Ferland full time. They need someone who's capable of more than just dump the puck or mindlessly shoot every time they get the puck because he just doesnt see the ice well.

Talbot/Jones were fairly cheap. Would gladly give up Dougie Bouwmeester 2.0 for either.

He tried Elliott? He tried a goalie a better team gave up on, with predictable results. Sorry, not giving any credit there.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's entirely possible for someone to be granted permission to interview elsewhere but without actually having something lined up. An opportunity for said person to explore different avenues on their own rather than being approached by another organization.

Conroy interviewing does indicate two things; confirms that the rumors the Sabres were potentially interested in his services were true and that Conroy doesn't want to remain an assistant. Obvious? No not really. James Nill for example remained with the Wings for seemingly forever despite opportunities for advancement elsewhere.

Also, Conroy's role here is akin to Treliving's in Phoenix; basically has his hand in everything from scouting to negotiations. Seems like a smart guy so it'd be a shame to lose him. Maybe Maloney ends up taking his place if he leaves. Regardless, I'm much happier with Treliving sticking around than going with Conroy.

But he was specifically given permission to interview for Buffalo. For that to go public in that way without Buffalo and Conroy having expressed mutual interest would be extremely odd.

Are you really suggesting that Conroy didn't have something lined up with Buffalo before this extension was signed, though? Regardless, it's a minor point at the end of the day. I'm in MM's camp of thinking that the interview actually happening was the inevitable second chapter to the public, shall we say, statement of intent.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Never had a doubt this would get done, but still strange that it took as long as it did. Whatever, I'm just happy it's done. It was a no-brainer to bring Treliving back.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I can go out and sign an assistant coach off another team since they will jump on that opportunity. Gully has been outcoached so many times its not even funny. Takes him 50 games to adjust. Not giving Tre credit for giving a mediocre (at best) assistant coach a Head coach gig.

The difference between the roster last year and the roster this year was.... Matthew Tkachuk and Troy Brouwer. And eventually Michael Stone. The difference in results was immense. We've seen a lot of coaches around the league do far worse.

Now, you could argue that the GM did all of the heavy lifting, and the coach should have had even more success, but your following points are going to be criticizing the roster, which would make the team's improvements this year seem to be more of a credit to Gulutzan.

I was a huge critic of the hiring when it happened, and was worried about Gulutzan, but he honestly did a good job. A lot of teams have a coaching change when the system is fine, but the players aren't responding to the coach. That's when you have smooth transitions like St. Louis. The Flames were not that type of team at all. This year was a major, major overhaul, and we saw the results when the team finally started playing the system correctly.

Frolik is borderline second line winger, I'm not expecting a Pavel Bure but I do expect better than Chiasson/Brouwer. Fairly well paid Frolik as the only top 6 Rwinger doesnt make Tre a wizard in my books.

Chiasson wasn't a free agent signing. He was picked up at the cost of a failed prospect, and in all likelihood contributed more to the team this year than Pat Sieloff ever would've. If you want to look at bad FA signings, look at Mason Raymond instead. The mistakes are definitely there to point out for Treliving in terms of his FA signings. It's one area I really hope he improves in over this extension.

Monahan/Gaudreau are NOT good enough to carry someone like Ferland full time. They need someone who's capable of more than just dump the puck or mindlessly shoot every time they get the puck because he just doesnt see the ice well.

I agree, but of course you need that type of player to become available, and I am not convinced that any of the RW free agents last summer were interested in Calgary.

Talbot/Jones were fairly cheap. Would gladly give up Dougie Bouwmeester 2.0 for either.

That's just silly. I haven't exactly been gushing over Hamilton since his acquisition, but he had a tremendous season and looks like a true top-pairing defenceman. And all of the numbers back that up. I would love to have Talbot or Jones on the Flames, but I wouldn't give up Hamilton to get either. That would just be two steps back and one step forward.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

He tried Elliott? He tried a goalie a better team gave up on, with predictable results. Sorry, not giving any credit there.

The last 50 games take any credibility of that statement away. The Flames were in the top half of the league in possession, power play, penalty killing, scoring chances for and against and were in the top 5 for points gained.

The first round series was much closer than being swept would show. Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland out-chanced any other line in the series. A couple bad bounces the other way and it would now be the battle of Alberta.

BTW did Talbot's luck run out last night? Time will tell.

The only reason the Oiler's are where they are is Talbot so you better hope he stays hot. If not this could be the Oilers last shot for several seasons.. you know having to come through Calgary to win in the west will be a daunting task.

I am still curious how the Oilers will be able to afford all the six million dollar men with Connor making 9-10M a season. Good luck this year because times will be lean for ya's in the coming decade or so.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
The difference between the roster last year and the roster this year was.... Matthew Tkachuk and Troy Brouwer. And eventually Michael Stone. The difference in results was immense. We've seen a lot of coaches around the league do far worse.

+ Versteeg. And whatever we think of Elliott/Johnson now, they did have better numbers than Hartley's goalies.

Now, you could argue that the GM did all of the heavy lifting, and the coach should have had even more success, but your following points are going to be criticizing the roster, which would make the team's improvements this year seem to be more of a credit to Gulutzan.

Brodie took a step back under Gulutzan, so did Johnny. Mony struggled for months. Bennet ditto. Was it all due to the coach? Probably not, but GG doesnt exactly have a resume that makes me confident that he knows how to get the best out of his top players. He's like Wille in Van, he squeezed blood out of depth players but top guys underperformed, mostly.

I was a huge critic of the hiring when it happened, and was worried about Gulutzan, but he honestly did a good job. A lot of teams have a coaching change when the system is fine, but the players aren't responding to the coach. That's when you have smooth transitions like St. Louis. The Flames were not that type of team at all. This year was a major, major overhaul, and we saw the results when the team finally started playing the system correctly.

Or that the system worked when team was bottom of the league and other coaches took it lightly because they had bigger fish to worry about? Then CGY went on a run, other coaches looked at GG's system again and team went downhill (end of season + 1st round)

Chiasson wasn't a free agent signing. He was picked up at the cost of a failed prospect, and in all likelihood contributed more to the team this year than Pat Sieloff ever would've. If you want to look at bad FA signings, look at Mason Raymond instead. The mistakes are definitely there to point out for Treliving in terms of his FA signings. It's one area I really hope he improves in over this extension.

I'm talking about all players he acquired, trades, FAs. I'm fine with trading Sieloff but slotting Chiasson into 1st line was madness.

That's just silly. I haven't exactly been gushing over Hamilton since his acquisition, but he had a tremendous season and looks like a true top-pairing defenceman. And all of the numbers back that up. I would love to have Talbot or Jones on the Flames, but I wouldn't give up Hamilton to get either. That would just be two steps back and one step forward.

Jones is debatable but Talbot is a no brainer IMO. He's a game changer. Dougie is not. I see a guy getting points in "easy" games but almost never the one to step up when tough games are on the line. Kind of what Shattenkirk is doing in WSH, total non factor in tight games.

edit: haha and Shatty scores 2 mins after i post this, good timing

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dougie Hamilton is 23 and still under the tutelage of Giordano. He's only going to get better.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
The last 50 games take any credibility of that statement away. The Flames were in the top half of the league in possession, power play, penalty killing, scoring chances for and against and were in the top 5 for points gained.

The first round series was much closer than being swept would show. Gaudreau, Monahan and Ferland out-chanced any other line in the series. A couple bad bounces the other way and it would now be the battle of Alberta.

BTW did Talbot's luck run out last night? Time will tell.

The only reason the Oiler's are where they are is Talbot so you better hope he stays hot. If not this could be the Oilers last shot for several seasons.. you know having to come through Calgary to win in the west will be a daunting task.

I am still curious how the Oilers will be able to afford all the six million dollar men with Connor making 9-10M a season. Good luck this year because times will be lean for ya's in the coming decade or so.

I wouldnt be surprised if Chiarelli packages Eberle with a pick and trades him to Vegas. They reach salary floor, get a front line player that can produce fairly well when there's no pressure and is a name that fans might recognise. Then throw his 6mil at Drai (+ the mil he's already making without bonuses). Replace Eberle with Pulju on ELC.

Hendricks retires (1.85mil) and Desharnais walks (2.8mil). You have a year to figure out what to do with Pouliot (4 mil). That's 8.65mil towards McLotteryball. Replace these three with random fans pulled from stands (or Pakarinen/Piltick/Khaira).

Fayne's 2.65mil is off the books after next season as well.

Russel and Gryba are UFAs this year (3mil + 1mil respectively).

I want EDM to fail as much as the next guy but they are in a good shape unfortunately.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Dreger | Flames played dangerous waiting game with Treliving
The Calgary Flames finally announced a multi-year contract extension for general manager Brad Treliving on Monday afternoon, ending speculation that had been ramping up about his potential future with the franchise.

“We are striving to create a level of continuity and stability, as all successful teams do,” said Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke in a statement. “Today’s announcement is another step forward for our organization on that path. Under Brad’s leadership, we have seen progress over the past three seasons and look forward to building on that growth in the coming years.”

Treliving was hired by the Flames in late April of 2014, and was an assistant general manager with the Phoenix Coyotes at the time.

The Flames had missed the playoffs for five straight years at that point, and Treliving has helped to guide the club into the post-season in two of his three seasons.

NHL Insider Darren Dreger was making the radio rounds on Tuesday morning, and on Edmonton’s TSN 1260 he was asked what Treliving will need to prove to get another contract extension eventually.

“Probably not much to the rest of the NHL – maybe a lot to Ken King and Murray Edwards,” began Dreger. “It’s a multi-year deal, so that tells us it’s three or four years. The sense that I got was that he was likely pushing for four years. So in that comes some job security.

“This is a guy that’s real comfortable with his level of experience and his knowledge of the game, the league, and the feeder systems and whatnot. So now that he has some security, I expect that Brad Treliving is going to… push to do things the way he wants to do things, and that is a great thing for the Calgary Flames.

“He kind of put his neck on the line when he hired Glen Guluztan. I’m sure that there were lots of opinions inside that office in Calgary as to whether or not Gulutzan was the guy, and Treliving said, ‘No, this is my hire. If it doesn’t work out then you can fire me.’

“And I think that that’s his mindset now, that’s his attitude moving forward and that’ll be great for the Calgary Flames because this guy should be trusted – he deserves it.”
There will be a lot for the general manager to do, including the dynamics involving the expansion draft and entry draft, although it still seems a little weird that it took until this late in the proverbial game to get him signed to this new deal.

With several months of speculation surrounding whether or not Treliving would even be extended, it provided the opportunity to really grease the rumor mill.

Dreger was asked if there was any fire to the smoke about the relationship – or lack thereof – between Treliving and Burke.

“For me it’s less about the relationship between Brian Burke and Brad Treliving and more about how involved Ken King remains in hockey operations,” said Dreger. “My sense is that the negotiation wasn’t with Brian Burke, it was with Ken King.

“And even though there’s an established market value of what Canadian general managers are earning, for Treliving I’m going to guess it’s somewhere around that $1.75-$2 million mark. I don’t think Ken King and the Flames wanted to pay that, and I think that that was part of the pushback.

“But what was also curious about all of this was how long it took to table the offer. I don’t believe that Treliving actually got an offer – a legitimate offer – until late last week or even as late as the weekend; which is curious again when you’ve got teams like Buffalo sitting there waiting for their general manager to be hired, which will likely be as early as tomorrow, and likely to be Botterill from what we’re told.

“But that’s a dangerous game with somebody like Brad Treliving, who’s highly respected.”

Reason 103456789 to fire Ken King

And getting an ownership group less penny wise pound foolish would go a long way

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Dreger | Flames played dangerous waiting game with Treliving

Reason 103456789 to fire Ken King

And getting an ownership group less penny wise pound foolish would go a long way

It's unfathomable how in love with his money Ken King is. Won't shell out money for a new arena to house his team. Won't pay a GM - the first GM in a long time who actually brings some stability and respect to this ****ing organization - the deserved money to run his team. Threatens to move the team when things don't go his way.

Just leave. Pretty clear he only cares about one thing.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Nothing there suggests that they were at any point in danger of losing Treliving to another team, empty speculation on Dreger's part.

Would make a great excuse to get rid of King though...

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
It's unfathomable how in love with his money Ken King is. Won't shell out money for a new arena to house his team. Won't pay a GM - the first GM in a long time who actually brings some stability and respect to this ****ing organization - the deserved money to run his team. Threatens to move the team when things don't go his way.

Pretty sure it's a business, which is about that one thing King is in love with.

At the end of the day, you can't blame a guy for trying to save a few bucks here and there when trying to run a business. It would be downright foolish to fork over money to build an arena, or to sign Treliving without first seeing what other avenues might be open.

The threat of moving was something many teams have done in the past to get funding for arena projects - it was a statement to Nenshi and the City of Calgary that in no way are the Flames going to pay the entire bill to build a new arena.

In regards to Treliving, it got done, which is what matters. Blaming King for trying to get the best deal possible is not warranted. Just as the blame for Treliving nickel and diming Gaudreau last year was unwarranted.

A business will never be as profitable as possible if the people at the top spend money at will - which is what every professional sports team is.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Ken King is literally paid to be a figurehead and represent the interests of the Calgary Flames.

Literally everything he does is an attempt to increase the value of the Flames organization. That's why he's the highest paid person in management.

He's what Gary Bettman is to the NHL. What do people expect he's going to do?

He would be a great politician. Sucks your blood and does it with a big-toothed-grin.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

King did not threaten to move the team, he was asked a question by a reporter and answered it. One asked that question, there will be backlash, regardless.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
King did not threaten to move the team, he was asked a question by a reporter and answered it. One asked that question, there will be backlash, regardless.

Yup. King answered a loaded question he should have passed on and it predictably blew up in his face.

I don't like King as much as the next guy, but the moving the team part is just bad example to use against him, especially how it was asked, and the fact he has publicly gone on air to try and clear the air and explain what he actually meant.

I honestly think he meant he would pursue a deal in the best interests of his org and he would not make the final outcomes public/keep it professional to the end. Therefore, he and his org would not unnecessarily dragging other people into the fray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad