Corpus X

Wearing Stanley's cup.
May 24, 2014
Calgary
HPj4EKF.gif

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
With the way the contract values are trending, a $4m contract in two years may not be much different from a $2m contract this year. If in two years Bennett is only a $4m player, it might be time we go in a different direction.

This contract to me says, he's either going to be a $6m+ player on his next deal, or not a Flame.

Contract inflation is definitely a thing but I don't think a 2m contract will be equivalent to a 4m in just 2 years.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
They would rather he plays on Curtis Lazar's LW dontchaknow :shakehead

I literally have never heard anyone say this. The only times I've seen (or made) the suggestions of Bennett at wing it's been so that your boy Janko can secure a centre spot, not lazar.

I think the fears of extensions in two years are overblown. It will be an awesome problem to have in two years if Bennett's contract is putting the vice on us, it will mean he and Tkachuk are around ppg players, so we would be dominant. At that point we could entertain trading almost anyone, it would be a Blackhawks situation. If you think that's likely what are you so mad about. If you're thinking like me that it's much more likely Bennett settles in at a more reasonable amount and that the cap will rise, nothing to worry about.

All in all a great deal by treliving. Now let's get us a Jagr :yo:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Contract inflation is definitely a thing but I don't think a 2m contract will be equivalent to a 4m in just 2 years.
My point being, if Bennett is a $4m player in 2 years, I don't know that he will want to sign another contract here and I doubt the Flames will work very hard to change his mind.

He's either going to earn that big next contract and get paid by the Flames, or he won't and won't want to re-sign to try again. That's my bet anyways...

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Good contract.

I was personally hoping for a Josi contract (7 years @ 4m) because I think he'll break out and be a consistent 60+ point player, but the bridge is nice.

Hopefully Sam can prove himself in the next 2 years and earn himself a nice $6+mil contract like Mony and Gaudreau have [and that Tkachuk will have in 2 years as well].

If Bennett does break out (everyone obviously hopes he does), our cap will be super tight with Tkachuk and him both needing big raises and Backlund up next year. With Stajan and Smith off the books we should be able to make it work, but it will be super tight; and Stone and Brouwer may need to be bought out or traded.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I literally have never heard anyone say this. The only times I've seen (or made) the suggestions of Bennett at wing it's been so that your boy Janko can secure a centre spot, not lazar.

I think the fears of extensions in two years are overblown. It will be an awesome problem to have in two years if Bennett's contract is putting the vice on us, it will mean he and Tkachuk are around ppg players, so we would be dominant. At that point we could entertain trading almost anyone, it would be a Blackhawks situation. If you think that's likely what are you so mad about. If you're thinking like me that it's much more likely Bennett settles in at a more reasonable amount and that the cap will rise, nothing to worry about.

Mad? Saying I think we're going to trade Frolik (middle six forward), Stone (third pair D), and buy out Brouwer (borderline AHLer) means I'm mad?

I don't think a two year term was the best move for the Flames, because I also think Mark Jankowski is a stud and will command a raise of his own along with this guy named Ferland who happens to play on our top line. It's almost crazy to think all of these guys could peak around the same time in their careers but it should be our best chance at winning the Cup. I said in the other thread that a three year term made far more sense for the Flames, and I thought that about Ferland's deal too. But it takes two sides to negotiate a deal and getting it done was important. Do I think Tre was "wizardly" on this signing - no, I do not but I ain't "mad". Why would I be mad about a team with Mark Giordano, Sam Bennett, Johnny Gaudreau, Matthew Tkachuk, Mark Jankowski, Mikael Backlund, Micheal Ferland, TJ Brodie, Dougie Hamilton, and Sean Monahan and a solid prospect pool to fill out the depth spots? I mean our goaltending's a huge question mark, and I think guys like Hamonic and Stone and Frolik and Lazar get too much credit for what they are, but I really like the makeup of our team for the near future. If we can hold together the ten players I named without losing any of them I will be one happy Flames fan. Full Stop. Toss in Parsons panning out and I'll be just ecstatic.

I ain't mad.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Dreger = FakeNews

Exactly what I thought and expected. Dreger is an idiot with no connections on the Flames.

Glad this is over and done with. Now he can just play and allow his on ice performance dictate his next contract. Now on to Jagr!

Not that I don't disagree that Dreger has been bad lately, but this is the same agent as AA in Detroit, who is using the same threat of Europe. Agent is leaking **** to apply pressure.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just completely find it beyond laughable that a day after Dreger tweets that, the deal gets done. I feel like partially out of spite, both sides wanted this to get done. Who knows if Dreger even talked to Treliving, but whatever his "sources" are to the Flames, they are not good ones. It just pisses me off that we see and more and more, these "insiders" spew their opinion as rumour and they exaggerate what they do hear. My impression of Treliving is such that if a Tweet like that was made creating all kinds of controversy (he was on the radio today), that he would go out of his way to get a deal done to prove a point, though he would never admit to that. Treliving comes from a proud family and he knows how to handle himself and I guarantee that the next time Dreger claims to have info on the Flames, it will be more accurate.

This was about as big a miss that an insider can make.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Great deal, glad to see Sam finally signed. Hoping he can bounce back this season and make those numbers look like a steal.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Plot twist: Treliving has a personal grudge against Dreger and the entire delay in negotiation was an extended bait to get him to make something up so Brad could strike like a panther and end his miserable career.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Look on the bright side, at worst we're only going to be able to afford about eight high-end players (Gaudreau, Gio, Hamilton, Monahan, Backlund, Ferland, Brodie, and either Tkachuk or Bennett) instead of nine, Oilers will only be able to afford three between McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom :laugh:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think this is a good deal. We'll be in cap hell in about 2 years, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Look on the bright side, at worst we're only going to be able to afford about eight high-end players (Gaudreau, Gio, Hamilton, Monahan, Backlund, Ferland, Brodie, and either Tkachuk or Bennett) instead of nine, Oilers will only be able to afford three between McDavid, Draisaitl and Klefbom :laugh:

Don't forget Talbot!

Klefbom is locked up long term for a while still though isn't he?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think this is a good deal. We'll be in cap hell in about 2 years, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get to it

I think hell is a strong term. It will require some wiggling or good prospects making the jump.

Parsons or Gilles alone making the jump towards being part of a good tandem helps. Any of our good defensive prospects making the jump and being top four capable means we can move someone from the top four to make room. Worst case buyout Brouwer and find someone to take Frolik for a prospect or pick.

Plus, even if the cap doesn't jump up huge, it will go up a little. Biggest impact will be what Backlund's contract looks like.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

We will have $28.5M in projected cap space for 2019/2020, and that is without factoring in cap growth.

We will need to have signed:
1 starting goalie (Parsons or Gillies),
1 backup goalie (Parsons or Gillies or UFA),
1 #6D. Take your pick,
1 #4C. Again take your pick,
1 Winger (to replace Versteeg),
1 Extra forward (replace Familton)

^^ All of the above can be replaced with ELC/post ELC contracts. Cost should be around 4-6M.

That leaves:
Backlund will need to have been re-signed the prior year. Lets be generous and say 6M.

Leaves us with about 17.5M + Cap growth. Lets say cap grows 2M. For 19.5M in space.

Then: Ferland, Lazar, Tkachuk and Bennett signed or replaced.

That gives us almost 5M for each of them. Even if both Bennett and Tkachuk became 1st line players and we have to pay them both 7M each (very unlikely).

Leaves us with about 5.5M to sign Ferland and Lazar or their replacements.

The hysteria over our cap situation is entirely overblown and not based in reality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad