Flames post WJC Top Prospects

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
1 (1) Mathew Barzal - C - NY Islanders (NHL) - Drafted 8th Overall, 2015

50 points in 49 games to lead all rookies in points in the NHL this season - Only Ovechkin, Crosby and Malkin have done that in the last 20 years.

2 (3) Oliver Bjorkstrand - RW - Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) - Drafted 55th Overall, 2013

Bjorkstrand has cooled off lately. This is his first full NHL season but he's 3rd on scoring on the Blue Jackets, playing just 14 minutes a game. Needs to continue his adaptation to the NHL - especially without the puck.

3 (2) Valeri Nichushkin - RW - CSKA Moskva (RUS) - Drafted 5th Overall, 2013

Jim Nill has confirmed that big Val is looking to return to the NHL next season. He's had another decent season in the KHL - although there must be disappointment that he's 'banned' from the Olympics.

4 (7) Ryan Poehling - C - St. Cloud State (NCAA) - Drafted 20th Overall, 2017

While he had an underwhelming WJC on the scoresheet - his two-way play was pretty good. He's a PPG player for the team that's been at or near the top of the NCAA rankings.

5 (5) Jacob Larsson - D - San Diego Gulls (AHL) - Acquired in trade for Jake Gardiner

A lower body injury that required surgery slowed his start. It took until January before he started playing back-to-back games.

6 (16) Dominik Simon - LW - Pittsburg Penguins (NHL) - Drafted 65th Overall, 2016

Simon impressed on the farm and has spent a fair bit of time on Sidney Crosby's wing of late. Still adapting to NHL speed but he's a great skater with genuine puck skills.

7 (8) Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen - G - HPK (FIN) - Drafted 51st Overall, 2017

Calm and collected. Didn't struggle, per se, at the WJC, but also didn't make the big saves when needed for the soft Finns.

8 (4) Anthony-John Greer - LW - San Antonio Rampage (AHL) - Drafted 79th Overall, 2015

AJ Greer struggled with injuries early in the season but has seen several call-ups for the upstart Avs. He's a big power forward who will take a few seasons to develop.

9 (NEW) Tanner Kaspick - C - Victoria Royals (WHL) - Drafted 102nd Overall, 2016

Kaspick was one of the late cuts for the Canadian WJC team but it was a surprise that he even came into contention as a mid-round NHL pick. He's turned himself into a genuine prospect.

10 (NEW) Mikhail Maltsev - C - SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) - Drafted 77th Overall, 2016

The 2016 draft, in which the Flamettes had no picks in the first two rounds, has already produced two full time NHL'ers, and Maltsev becomes the 3rd player from that draft in the top ten. Surprised many with his tenacious play when called up to the KHL. He had an underwhelming WJC on the scoresheet but you can see all the pro attributes that make him a genuine NHL prospect.

OTHER NOTABLES:

In the NHL: Oscar Dansk -
a memorable start to his NHL career, 3-0 with a shutout in his 2nd game, as the 4th goalie to start for the Presidents Trophy contenders, the Vegas Golden Knights. An injury ended the fun- he has just been cleared to return. Taylor Leier, Gemel Smith and William Carrier have carved out 4th line roles and will have to be signed this off-season.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
barzal has just been out of this world. no idea he had the kind of upside he's exhibiting. always good to get a surprise superstar every now and then. he's on track.

Thank you! I've always thought that he was somewhat underrated, despite the fact that early on he was thought of as a potential top 3 pick for his draft year. I was shocked he fell to 16 in the NHL draft. I had thought it was possible that he'd go the other way on draft day from where I snagged him at 8th. I had some doubts and at times wondered if I'd made the wrong pick (my other choice would have been Connor, which seemed way too high at the time). When Button published his list of 2017/18 Calder candidates I was surprised that he wasn't on that list. But yeah, I had already come to the conclusion that it was just my homerism for Flamette prospects.

I'd have been thrilled if you told me he would have a 50 point season this year. To have this and the potential for a 60+ point or better season - quite crazy. Got very lucky with that pick.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Thank you! I've always thought that he was somewhat underrated, despite the fact that early on he was thought of as a potential top 3 pick for his draft year. I was shocked he fell to 16 in the NHL draft. I had thought it was possible that he'd go the other way on draft day from where I snagged him at 8th. I had some doubts and at times wondered if I'd made the wrong pick (my other choice would have been Connor, which seemed way too high at the time). When Button published his list of 2017/18 Calder candidates I was surprised that he wasn't on that list. But yeah, I had already come to the conclusion that it was just my homerism for Flamette prospects.

I'd have been thrilled if you told me he would have a 50 point season this year. To have this and the potential for a 60+ point or better season - quite crazy. Got very lucky with that pick.

I can't exactly complain about what Provorov has become but I once again chose the defender over the small skilled forward on draft day allowing you to land Barzal. Forbort/Skinner all over again...except both players in this draft are better. You're welcome.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I can't exactly complain about what Provorov has become but I once again chose the defender over the small skilled forward on draft day allowing you to land Barzal. Forbort/Skinner all over again...except both players in this draft are better. You're welcome.

:heart:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad