GDT: Flames look to continue Honda Centre win streak. 8pm MT on SNW

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Acquiring Hamonic isn't a fatal mistake, the mistake in acquiring him however is that the 1st isn't protected.
We're above .500 and there's nothing to suggest that won't be the case at the end of the season. If the laughably unlikely outcome happens and we win the lottery from waaaaaaaaay down the board, then whatever, it's not a given that the same result would have occurred without the trade (and at least it's not Edmonton!).

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
I think the system just isn’t meshing with the players. We can’t seem to string together several good games. While we may out shoot/chance another team, we always seem to be on the end of bad luck. To me, it seems like a system issue that’s killing the creativity of the players to an extent, and GG isn’t changing anything to make 2 lines work at the same time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How is Hamonic a fatal mistake?

The guy is a bottom pairing dman and the way they are playing, it's going to be a pretty high lottery pick (top 10+) in a very good draft.

The Flames badly need more talent. How many 1 goal game have they lost?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Gulutzen is the only fatal mistake on this team right now. There might still be hope to fix some of the terrible habits he's drilled into our dmen

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
This team has too many players with piss-weak mentality who can't step up in important situations, who can't make the right passes in the right situations, and can't finish plays off. It's frustrating to see so many missed shots and blocked shots from good positions, and to have our top D-men fail to muster shots through screens just takes away any good momentum we had. I also struggle to see why the main plan of the PP is to have Johnny, who has a muffin of a shot, shoot it from the flank every f***ing time. It just doesn't work.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
We're above .500 and there's nothing to suggest that won't be the case at the end of the season. If the laughably unlikely outcome happens and we win the lottery from waaaaaaaaay down the board, then whatever, it's not a given that the same result would have occurred without the trade (and at least it's not Edmonton!).

They won 18 games, lost 20.

The whole .500 thing is completely meaningless in a league with loser points

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Monahan, Hamilton and Brodie are definition of softies both physically and in the head. I know they may not be all his but he decided to build around them. He made possibly fatal mistakes with Hamonic

Yeah, I agreed with you on replacing GM. All I am saying is he cant be exempt from the blame. He built this team.

And frankly as good as Johnny is, he deals with adversity with the maturity of a teenage girl.

As for Hamonic, he was pushed out of NYI top 4 quite easily, what were we expecting again? BT gambled and lost.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
And frankly as good as Johnny is, he deals with adversity with the maturity of a teenage girl.

As for Hamonic, he was pushed out of NYI top 4 quite easily, what were we expecting again? BT gambled and lost.

I've had no issues with Hamonic over the past 15 games or so. Quality middle pairing Dman.
Our problem right now is the forward group; little support for the backend, turnover machines and no creativity to keep the puck in the opposite end. I'd really love to see Calgary make some changes to the lineup; because it's simply not working.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Tkachuk

Let's put our most talented players together. Bennett looks confident as hell, and I think moving him down the middle at this time wouldn't hurt. Getting Tkachuk on that line bring Gaudreau into the fire. You can't be a pedestrian when Bennett and Chucky are on the ice. They're going to get in people's faces and make life hard on other teams; Gaudreau will have no choice but to show some character.

Jankowski - Backlund - Ferland

Janko needs a wake up; Backlund gets the most out of every player. Defensively responsible line, while Frolik's out with his mangled face.

Mangiapane - Monahan - Jagr

Mangi injects youth; use this trio in the offensive zone and spend the night there.

Lazar - Hrivik - Hathaway

A REAL energy line. This guys all want to prove they belong in the NHL; all guys have motors and will actually play like their livelihood depends on it, because guess what, it does.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've had no issues with Hamonic over the past 15 games or so. Quality middle pairing Dman.
Our problem right now is the forward group; little support for the backend, turnover machines and no creativity to keep the puck in the opposite end. I'd really love to see Calgary make some changes to the lineup; because it's simply not working.

Let's put our most talented players together. Bennett looks confident as hell, and I think moving him down the middle at this time wouldn't hurt. Getting Tkachuk on that line bring Gaudreau into the fire. You can't be a pedestrian when Bennett and Chucky are on the ice. They're going to get in people's faces and make life hard on other teams; Gaudreau will have no choice but to show some character.

Janko needs a wake up; Backlund gets the most out of every player. Defensively responsible line, while Frolik's out with his mangled face.

Mangi injects youth; use this trio in the offensive zone and spend the night there.

A REAL energy line. This guys all want to prove they belong in the NHL; all guys have motors and will actually play like their livelihood depends on it, because guess what, it does.

I like this.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Great for the most part, but swap Monahan and Jankowski. Jankowski is the superior option down the middle.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Great for the most part, but swap Monahan and Jankowski. Jankowski is the superior option down the middle.

I'm indifferent with either down the middle. Neither has shown much of anything to be considered the superior centre option recently to me. I like Jankowski more than Monahan on the Backlund line, because you hope Janko can hit a Backlund level of centre; so may as well play with him.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I will blame the coaching 100% for everything wrong with this team.

Under Hartley we had a worse group of forwards yet we were finishing in the top 10 for goal scoring. We had Glencross, Jooris, Jones, Bouma, Granlund, Raymond and Colborne and still finished in the top 10 in the league for God sake. Wideman put up 56 points, Russel put up 34, Gio put up 48 and Brodie put up 41. We had a top 3 offensive defensive corps. Now Brodie is on track to finish with around 41 points, Hamilton is on pace for a lot less than his career high (which he achieved last year), Gio is on pace for like 31, no other defenseman is on pace for even like 10.

The defensive zone coverage is just as big of a mess under Gulutzan as it was under Hartley, yet we have an actual #4 and #5 d-men in Hamonic and Stone.

Our special teams under both coaches was terrible, but GG should have at least improved it, yet it has taken 130+ games to actually start making changes to it.

The only thing GG has done is improve our advanced stats from the bottom of the league to the top. I could really not give two shits about advanced stats though. Oh wow, our possession stats are so good, which makes for the driest most boring hockey. Flames have been outchanging teams almost every game and still only score 1 maybe 2 goals and still lose.

As for individual players, I have seen Brodie playing #1 d-man hockey away from Gio when he carried the corpse of Engelland around in 2014-2015 (no Engelland didn't step up, Brodie was just that good). Hamilton the last half of the year last year was one of the only d-men I trusted when he was on the ice, this year Gully is getting nothing from him. Tkachuk is being so underutilized playing with Backs and Frolik. I like Backs and Frolik, but Tkachuk is not a 2nd line player, which Backs is and Fro is more of a 2b/3a player, Tkachuk is a bonafide #1 player who has more skill than everyone on the team minus Gaudreau. It's a travesty that Ferland has the top line RW spot over Tkachuk. They all shoot left so who cares what side they play? Either put Gaudreau on RW or Tkachuk on RW for the top line. Put Bennett and Janko up to the 2nd (ie. more ice-time).

And forget this stupid system you have them playing, clearly you have the wrong personnel for it if we keep losing. Adapt, Hartley knew we had a good offensive d corps so he had them jump up in the rush. I rarely ever see the d-men jump up because we play so conservatively.

I'm going to the game tomorrow in Calgary (where we play sooooo good), and still hoping for a win, but if we lose we're pretty much out of the race and be fighting with Edmonton for 2nd last in the conference at that point.

Edit: I should point out that Treliving just needs to cut ties to some of his shit acquisitions as well. Send Lazar the f*** down, guy is absolutely useless. Who cares if he is claimed, you f***ed up trading a 2nd for him, man up and just let it go, he sucks. And get rid of Stajan. Brouwer is harder to dump because of the contract, but you can at least get rid of 2/3 of the trash 4th line.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The entire top 6 has been horrible all December. The second line hasn’t provided anything more than the 1st.

Shuffling lines too much will just make it worse. Leave the 3rd line alone, they’re doing their job and Janko hasn’t shown me anything more than being a 3C. Swap Backlund and Monahan. Even if we don’t win, it should help pump up Backlund’s totals, then flog him off to the highest bidder at the deadline.

One of Brodie or Hamilton can go for a bonified 2C. I’d prefer Brodie but might make more sense to move Hamilton, given our depth, value and Brodie’s ability to play either side.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I don't know about the rest of people, but I know for me I am extra annoyed/angry because of the lack of 1st round pick. I could at least sit back and watch us tank knowing we're getting a top 5/10 pick out of the season, especially in a really good draft and get a good player to help the team.

Alas, we're giving NYI a top 5/10 pick (potentially, but come on) and have no 2nd or 3rd rounder going into this draft. What a mistake Treliving made by not lottery protecting that pick.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
The guy is a bottom pairing dman and the way they are playing, it's going to be a pretty high lottery pick (top 10+) in a very good draft.

The Flames badly need more talent. How many 1 goal game have they lost?
Our record in 1 goal games is a surprising 9-4-4 lol. I was expecting something much worse.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

If that is the case why isn't Monahan there instead of Bennett when there is no question is he is much more talented?

Even better than just being more talented much more productive.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't know about the rest of people, but I know for me I am extra annoyed/angry because of the lack of 1st round pick. I could at least sit back and watch us tank knowing we're getting a top 5/10 pick out of the season, especially in a really good draft and get a good player to help the team.

Alas, we're giving NYI a top 5/10 pick (potentially, but come on) and have no 2nd or 3rd rounder going into this draft. What a mistake Treliving made by not lottery protecting that pick.

A top 10 pick is highly unlikely and a top 5 pick is virtually impossible.

I understand that people that want to hate the move have to make stuff up to make it sound bad but why the outright lies about the pick?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If that is the case why isn't Monahan there instead of Bennett when there is no question is he is much more talented?

Even better than just being more talented much more productive.

1 goal in his last 10 or something?
He's just not getting it done. His defence is questionable, his IQ is questionable, his passing has always been suspect.

When Monahan slumps, he kind of exposes the flaws in his game you forgive when he's scoring.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm indifferent with either down the middle. Neither has shown much of anything to be considered the superior centre option recently to me. I like Jankowski more than Monahan on the Backlund line, because you hope Janko can hit a Backlund level of centre; so may as well play with him.

Monahan's 2 60 points seasons versus Jankowski being on pace for 30 points this year and 0 points prior to this season hasn't shown you anything?

It is laughable the way this fanbase (well mainly this site don't see/hear it nearly as much anywhere else) goes to such lengths to shit on Monahan.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
1 goal in his last 10 or something?
He's just not getting it done. His defence is questionable, his IQ is questionable, his passing has always been suspect.

When Monahan slumps, he kind of exposes the flaws in his game you forgive when he's scoring.

So we are going to look at the last 10 games and ignore the 200+ games before that?

Bennett went 15 games without scoring a point to start the season so it isn't like he is constantly setting the world on fire.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So we are going to look at the last 10 games and ignore the 200+ games before that?

Bennett went 15 games without scoring a point to start the season so it isn't like he is constantly setting the world on fire.

When a player slumps, you try and make life easy on him. Hence putting him on a third line with some offensive pieces and giving him easy zone starts.

Are you truly thinking we should address our problem, by simply trying to same thing that hasn't been working for the last 10 games? Make sense. I think there's a definition of insanity you should look up.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Monahan's 2 60 points seasons versus Jankowski being on pace for 30 points this year and 0 points prior to this season hasn't shown you anything?

It is laughable the way this fanbase (well mainly this site don't see/hear it nearly as much anywhere else) goes to such lengths to **** on Monahan.

It's laughable when someone can't even read the word recently; and are blinded by rage.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They won 18 games, lost 20.

The whole .500 thing is completely meaningless in a league with loser points
No, the league works off points percentage, not winning percentage. So given that, the thing that is "meaningless" is winning percentage. In no situation is winning percentage ever considered in this league.

If we were to go 20-0-62, we would make the playoffs over a team that goes 45-37-0. So to hell with winning percentage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->