GDT: Flames in Detroit: 5:30pm MT on SN

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
One reason for that must be that it was Tkachuk that gave the little tap, it's really driving people crazy. Had anyone else on the Flames done that, it'd be no biggie. It just means that Tkachuk is really good what he's doing, and it's only his second season :partytime:

I like Tkachuk, and he's who I wanted at the draft. Love the physicality and offense he brings, but the pot stirring part of his game is not something I celebrate. Not sure why anyone does. I hate those players on other teams, and I don't like that on mine.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I like Tkachuk, and he's who I wanted at the draft. Love the physicality and offense he brings, but the pot stirring part of his game is not something I celebrate. Not sure why anyone does. I hate those players on other teams, and I don't like that on mine.

Hate those players on other teams, love them when they play for yours. There's a fine line between being an idiot and stirring the pot just enough to make other team lose their temper and take stupid penalties. Tkachuk looks to be on the track to be really good on the latter.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No offense to Flames fans, as any team can get beaten badly, these things are given and received for every team in the league. But why are you so bent out of shape on the last 5 minutes of this game? It was 8-2, who cares what team got the 5 minute man advantage, were you going to score 6 goals in 5 or so minutes to tie it up? Witkowski should not have pushed Kulak's head twice after their fight, with that I agree, however, Hamonic was also doing some not ok things as well during the game. We scored and he was cross checking guys, that is both not allowed and not usually tolerated regardless the score or teams involved. Also, you may forget but in the last game, Brouwer beat Abdelkader easily and threw in some after shots as well, I think Witkowski a known fighter would not have forgotten that. A couple of you also complained about officiating from the whole game, when we lead early on and kept increasing the lead, nothing to do with bad officiating, but on Lack playing like he was in the AHL. The first 3 goals would likely have been stopped by the majority of goalies in the NHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No offense to Flames fans, as any team can get beaten badly, these things are given and received for every team in the league. But why are you so bent out of shape on the last 5 minutes of this game? It was 8-2, who cares what team got the 5 minute man advantage, were you going to score 6 goals in 5 or so minutes to tie it up? Witkowski should not have pushed Kulak's head twice after their fight, with that I agree, however, Hamonic was also doing some not ok things as well during the game. We scored and he was cross checking guys, that is both not allowed and not usually tolerated regardless the score or teams involved. Also, you may forget but in the last game, Brouwer beat Abdelkader easily and threw in some after shots as well, I think Witkowski a known fighter would not have forgotten that. A couple of you also complained about officiating from the whole game, when we lead early on and kept increasing the lead, nothing to do with bad officiating, but on Lack playing like he was in the AHL. The first 3 goals would likely have been stopped by the majority of goalies in the NHL.
Witkowski pushing Kulak's head was the reason they were bent out of shape. It's really not difficult to understand.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Witkowski pushing Kulak's head was the reason they were bent out of shape. It's really not difficult to understand.

A few of your fans though were bellyaching about the whole games officiating. The Witkowski thing was in the last 5 minutes of a blowout game. Plus what does a 5 minute penalty to kill off in that scenario mean to anyone, nothing. The Wings were not even trying very hard to score on it anyhow. Being mad about the Witkowski thing, I understand.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A few of your fans though were bellyaching about the whole games officiating. The Witkowski thing was in the last 5 minutes of a blowout game. Plus what does a 5 minute penalty to kill off in that scenario mean to anyone, nothing. The Wings were not even trying very hard to score on it anyhow. Being mad about the Witkowski thing, I understand.

It means a great deal, to be honest. It's making guys go out and do the harder job and risk injury blocking shots, and also likely leads to the goalie getting lit up more.

Really not sure why you're expecting the pinnacle of rationality from fans who watch their team stink up the joint, then see a rookie get beaten up by a goon, see a brawl ensue and have to deal with a PK for the last 5 minutes. Of course fans are frustrated at that time.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Certain fans cry about the officiating every single game. I am sure you have some of those fans too.

Reactions: Oddbob

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It means a great deal, to be honest. It's making guys go out and do the harder job and risk injury blocking shots, and also likely leads to the goalie getting lit up more.

Really not sure why you're expecting the pinnacle of rationality from fans who watch their team stink up the joint, then see a rookie get beaten up by a goon, see a brawl ensue and have to deal with a PK for the last 5 minutes. Of course fans are frustrated at that time.

Obviously I am pissed when the Wings get spanked and play poor too, not my gripe, but the penalty at the end of the game isn't anything to worry about. Most teams just like Detroit did at the end, with a huge lead and PP play their backups on it, and give very little effort to score as the Wings did, and as the Flames would have done if the game was reversed.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The fact that the Flames were the ones that got a 5 min penalty out of that situation is a pathetic display by the officials. Witowski was rightfully ejected from the game for being a clown, and then came back onto the ice. Nothing any Flames player did during that sequence, trumps his actions, and that’s the reason for the outcry by our fan base. I don’t think it should be that hard to understand.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I find some of what he does okay; grabbing Perry's stick, giving people a little jab with the elbow or something here and there, etc. Can be funny, is definitely effective in throwing people off. What I don't like are his dangerous actions, like the slewfooting and head-related stuff (elbow on Doughty).

I will say that I miss having an Iginla on the team, though. A respected star player who's got a squeaky clean reputation, who can and will beat the crap out of you if you cross the line. Monahan is pretty clean, but he's not exactly a scary dude. Gaudreau has a reputation as a diver, and Tkachuk is effectively the polar opposite of Iginla. I guess Gio's the next best thing, although he's not a great fighter either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad