GDT: Flames host Blues: 7pm MT on SNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'm saying that I don't trust a goalie who gives up two separate third period leads to keep us in games. You don't have to watch the game to know that shouldn't happen.
The second goal was a 2 on 1 he had no chance on. That was on Dougie for coughing the puck up

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
One goal was a screened deflection off a Flames forward's stick shaft. The other goal was a Vladimir Tarasenko wrister on a 2v1 rush after Hamilton coughed up the puck near the Red Line. Lack also made some huge saves to keep the game at a tie.

I would argue both goal Smith gave up tonight were more dubious.

But yes call Rittich up. Is they call up Jon Gillies I will lose hope in common sense.

The second goal was a 2 on 1 he had no chance on. That was on Dougie for coughing the puck up

Glad to hear I'm wrong then! Too bad about Dougie though, I wonder what's been up with him this season?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm saying that I don't trust a goalie who gives up two separate third period leads to keep us in games. You don't have to watch the game to know that shouldn't happen.
Yes you do need to watch, because the quality of goal means everything. Both of the goals he allowed would have gone in on most NHL goalies, it's not like he gave up a couple of muffins.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Was at the game tonight. Super exciting and emotional game.

One of the bad things about being at the games is you don't get to see replays of the goals. While the 2 on 1 Tarasenko goal was unstoppable, me (and every other Flames fans sitting around me at the game) thought the first goal Lack let in was just brutal. However, upon rewatching the goal now that I'm home, I can clearly see the tip from Ferland at the last second in which case Lack had no chance on either goal.

Hamonic looks awful out there right now. He must still be hurt or... something. If this is the version of Hamonic we're going to get, we got screwed over on the trade but I'm still holding out hope. After all, Dougie took 25 or so games before finally settling in and turning his game around.

Lastly, man has Kulak ever been excellent. So glad that Gulutzan finally realized Bartkowksi was a useless piece of trash whereas Kulak has been excellent in his #6 role. The difference in quality between them is ENORMOUS.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

One of the bad things about being at the games is you don't get to see replays of the goals. While the 2 on 1 Tarasenko goal was unstoppable, me (and every other Flames fans sitting around me at the game) thought the first goal Lack let in was just brutal. However, upon rewatching the goal now that I'm home, I can clearly see the tip from Ferland at the last second in which case Lack had no chance on either goal.

Hamonic looks awful out there right now. He must still be hurt or... something. If this is the version of Hamonic we're going to get, we got screwed over on the trade but I'm still holding out hope. After all, Dougie took 25 or so games before finally settling in and turning his game around.

Lastly, man has Kulak ever been excellent. So glad that Gulutzan finally realized Bartkowksi was a useless piece of trash whereas Kulak has been excellent in his #6 role. The difference in quality between them is ENORMOUS.
I wouldn't worry. This was his first game back from injury, and while he did actually have some good moments, he was noticeably worse than pre-injury. That would lead me to believe that this was just a matter of needing to get back into the swing of things.

His play before the injury was good.And he's likely still in the adjustment period.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I wouldn't worry. This was his first game back from injury, and while he did actually have some good moments, he was noticeably worse than pre-injury. That would lead me to believe that this was just a matter of needing to get back into the swing of things.

His play before the injury was good.And he's likely still in the adjustment period.

I'm not in total panic mode just yet. Just a little concerned is all. I know how great he can be which is why I have such high expectations for him.

This was probably his worse game of the season but like you said, it was his first game back from injury so nothing to freak out about.

I still have lots of hope that he's just taking a bit of time to adjust like Dougie did when he was first traded here.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Glen Gulutzan said:
I think we are a good team. We have to act like it. I've talked to these guys about having some swag.

This has probably been the biggest thing lacking from our game this season: confidence, swagger. Wasn't the case tonight. Hope they keep that up.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not in total panic mode just yet. Just a little concerned is all. I know how great he can be which is why I have such high expectations for him.

This was probably his worse game of the season but like you said, it was his first game back from injury so nothing to freak out about.

I still have lots of hope that he's just taking a bit of time to adjust like Dougie did when he was first traded here.

I just watched Gulutzan's post-game interview, and he said many of those same sentiments. Hamonic had had one practice, probably wasn't game-ready, and then he got "smoked" into the goalie in the first period. He switched Stone and him mid-game, but he doesn't think that's a long-term thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This has probably been the biggest thing lacking from our game this season: confidence, swagger. Wasn't the case tonight. Hope they keep that up.
I have always supported Gulutzan, but man if he really said swag, I want to punch him in the nose. That's up there with yolo for stupidest terms.

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
Granted I dont know all the details of the game, havent even seen the highlights yet... but man was it awesome to read the box score!! Jankowski with a goal... then another... and what Bennett gets one... and we win!! Now thats how I like to enjoy my coffee, with a side of Flames win big.

Too bad it sounds like Smith got hurt? Of course thats our luck. We trend upwards and lose one of the pillars of that success. Hope its not too serious.

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Don't look now, but Ferland now has 7 goals on the season. Since being paired with him, Gaudreau has 50 points in his last 40 games.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Finally we're getting the secondary scoring we needed from the bottom 6. Bennett-Jankowski-Jagr is sick

Once it all clicks, this team is going to be hard to deal with.
Having Gaudreau on the top line with two triggerman is hard for every team in the league to deal with. Gaudreau's an elite talent and makes the two guys he plays with all that more dangerous.
That second line is a absolutely perfect second line. Backlund's an elite two way centre, Frolik is a defensively responsible RW that can still put up 40+ points a season and Matt Tkachuk is rounding out to an all-purpose 60 point wing.
That third line is exactly what we need. I still think that they have a ways to go, but man, once they round out they're going to be one of best league-wide. Three big bodies, 3 smart players and three guys who have good offensive ability. To think they haven't actually had positive possession games yet is pretty crazy, once that starts happening teams better watch out. This will be the line that puts us over the top.
The fourth line, with Lazar in, I really like. GG has got their times down to 10-12 minutes a night (where they should be) and Lazar brings Brouwer and Versteeg into the fold because his play is infectious. When was the last time we saw Versteeg through a big hit, or Brouwer finishing all his checks? Both guys are playing with speed too. Lazar is a big part of that, because he's got a motor and also represents the 'no job is safe' with taking Stajan out of the lineup.

The defence when Hammer rounds out will be nasty. Kulak stabilizes the bottom pair; that top pair is elite...

Now that the goalie isn't swiss cheese, teams are going to have their hands full with Calgary.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Kulak isn't our #6. He's our #4 being tasked with carrying whoever is our #6 on a given night

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Kulak +4 in 9 games

Bartkowski -4 in 10 games

Kulak adds more offence and is a strong possesson player. He's also better defensively than Bartkowski. Is it not nice having a non atrocious bottom pairing for once?

Also Jankowski is an NHL calibre player.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just nice to appreciate a game, for once, where just about every line contributed positively. Far from a perfect game, but pretty damn close considering the opposition.

Couldn't care less at this point about the hot takes. If Kulak is a #4 defenceman and Janko is a puppet being carried by his linemates in your own respective worlds, that's fine. As long as it is leading to wins.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I actually thought Lack played very well. Coming into a game cold is always difficult, but I wouldn't assign the blame on either of the 2 goals against to him. He also made at least one key save to keep them tied up before the boys decided to put it to bed. As OKG said, Smith's goals against were more suspect. I hope we give him 1-2 games off. Bring up whichever of the AHL boys, start Lack and leave him in for a whole game. If he plays poorly start one of the call-ups next one. I think we should give him a go though, with confidence he could be good.

Jagr coming back has really changed the make up of our lineup. He changes that third line immensely- they're so confident (how could you not be playing with the GOAT) and control the puck so well. It gives us three lines that are tough to match up. I also think that Lazar has improved our fourth line dramatically- if only because Gulu now plays them the correct amount during the game instead of oddly relying on Staj FAAAR too often. But I think his speed/ forechecking ability have opened it up for Brouwer and Versteeg a lot. If only he didn't have hands of stone!!

For our D, it seems like Gio has been fighting the puck all year. Guys were harping on Hamilton last night (rightfully so for the one pass...) but I think that Gio was actually the weak link between the two last night- fell over a few times, seemed to have Kris Russell-esque shot flopping going on. I think Stone makes for a better Brodie pairing than Hamonic, and that's not a bad thing at all.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just nice to appreciate a game, for once, where just about every line contributed positively. Far from a perfect game, but pretty damn close considering the opposition.

Couldn't care less at this point about the hot takes. If Kulak is a #4 defenceman and Janko is a puppet being carried by his linemates in your own respective worlds, that's fine. As long as it is leading to wins.

Frolik is only 'okay'.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Kulak has been much better than Bartkowski but calling him a #4 is just as obtuse an opinion as Jankowski being crap and bennett being our best C.

I find our board in particular has a notable proclivity for "seeing what you want to see" rather than seeing anything close to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad