Confirmed with Link: Flames hire Robbie Ftorek and Todd Woodcroft

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I think Ward coached a defensive system because he didn't have a very talented roster and he was playing to win games. Hopefully, that was the case and things open up more down there this year with a lot more talent.

Hartley to me coaches a system that is quite similar to the Flyers.

Do you think this is a good thing? :laugh:

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Not only that, but I don't think Philly's system is a cup winner. Sure, it gives us some great hoceky to watch, but.... :laugh:

However, with adding Streit they get a good PMD, which Philly had some major trouble doing last year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Not only that, but I don't think Philly's system is a cup winner. Sure, it gives us some great hoceky to watch, but.... :laugh:

However, with adding Streit they get a good PMD, which Philly had some major trouble doing last year.

I always wondered about the "defense wins championships" slogan. These clubs also have to keep fans in the seats. But I agree with the notion, but I don't think that means a defensive system wins championships. Only that you need defense, whether it be guys on the blue-line or a guy in the crease that's keeping a team in the mix.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
With our defence and questions in goal, that depends if your looking for playoffs or Ekblad. :laugh:

If we totally bomb next year and our defence is our glaring hole, I'm sure Ekblad will be a slam dunk.

I hope so. Unless of course they have the 1st overall. Its bad luck to pick a defensemen :sarcasm:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
With our defence and questions in goal, that depends if your looking for playoffs or Ekblad. :laugh:

If we totally bomb next year and our defence is our glaring hole, I'm sure Ekblad will be a slam dunk.

I'd take Reinhart 1st overall. Lots of good defensemen go in later rounds: Chara at 56, Keith at 54th, Weber 49th, Karlsson 15th, Letang 62nd ect. That's not even mentioning the late round fliers like Buff, Enstrom, Markov ect.

Lots of busts/disappointments early: Hickey 4th, Erik Johnson 1st, Jack Johnson 3rd, Brian Lee 9th, Barker 3rd, Valabik 10th ect.

Take elite forwards early in the 1st round since they're easiest to predict, then draft goalies and defensemen in subsequent rounds. Gilles looks better than Irving ever did, and Brodie looks better than Pelech ever did.

I really like what Feaster has done taking forwards in the 1st round and skilled defensemen with flaws later. I think at least one of Culkin, Kulak and Roy will play in our top 4 one day.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd take Reinhart 1st overall. Lots of good defensemen go in later rounds: Chara at 56, Keith at 54th, Weber 49th, Karlsson 15th, Letang 62nd ect. That's not even mentioning the late round fliers like Buff, Enstrom, Markov ect.

Lots of busts/disappointments early: Hickey 4th, Erik Johnson 1st, Jack Johnson 3rd, Brian Lee 9th, Barker 3rd, Valabik 10th ect.

Take elite forwards early in the 1st round since they're easiest to predict, then draft goalies and defensemen in subsequent rounds. Gilles looks better than Irving ever did, and Brodie looks better than Pelech ever did.

I really like what Feaster has done taking forwards in the 1st round and skilled defensemen with flaws later. I think at least one of Culkin, Kulak and Roy will play in our top 4 one day.

But after we trade Stempniak, Cammalleri and the rights to Kiprusoff for the second overall pick to go along with the first overall, it becomes a non-issue.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
But after we trade Stempniak, Cammalleri and the rights to Kiprusoff for the second overall pick to go along with the first overall, it becomes a non-issue.

Very true. We could move Akim Aliu for Adam Lowry as well, they're the same height and I've heard the Jets accept trades as long as the inch value is the same.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

I second this notion. And then flip Hudler, Giordano and Stajan during the 2015 draft for a chance at Connor and company

:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad