Proposal: Flames / Flyers

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
we're getting our brains beat in and the one of the only players who's looking like he has a pulse is TK

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Please just stop. Gaudreau is the Flames best forward on a great deal. He makes everyone he plays with look better. We can't deal him. Not going to even bother with value, because it's just a NO.

Reactions: snipetype

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Neither team will do it. Even if the perceived value is equal, it' s not worth the risk. You tear apart the locker room, change integral parts of roster for a potential minimal gain in some area.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Please just stop. Gaudreau is the Flames best forward on a great deal. He makes everyone he plays with look better. We can't deal him. Not going to even bother with value, because it's just a NO.

This. There are only about 10 players in the league that make everyone they play with MUCH better.. Gaudreau is one of them. You don’t trade that kind of player.

We just need decent depth in our bottom 6. Between Foo, Mangiapane, Dube. And more experience from Janko and Bennett, that is coming.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Surprised at how many Flyers fans are saying no to this. Johnny is far and away the best player in this proposal.

Johnny would be playing on the second line here, behind Giroux. His center would be, as of right now, after this trade - Scott Laughton. We don't need elite players. We need depth. This trade - and every iteration of it in this thread, kill that.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Johnny would be playing on the second line here, behind Giroux. His center would be, as of right now, after this trade - Scott Laughton. We don't need elite players. We need depth. This trade - and every iteration of it in this thread, kill that.

Or you have Coutts as the second line C, G as the 1st line C and you have 2 elite wingers in Vorachek and Johnny flanking them.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Or you have Coutts as the second line C, G as the 1st line C and you have 2 elite wingers in Vorachek and Johnny flanking them.

Why fix something that isnt broke? Maybe Couturier doesnt have chemistry with Johnny. Maybe Giroux doesnt function as well anymore with the additional responsibilities of C?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Why fix something that isnt broke? Maybe Couturier doesnt have chemistry with Johnny. Maybe Giroux doesnt function as well anymore with the additional responsibilities of C?

I don't think anyone said it was broken but the Flyers are ultimately a 1 line team atm. The second line chips in but at the end of the day if Coutts and G don't win games for them they aren't winning many. If you get Johnny it creates 2 very good lines, regardless who you throw out there with him. G is a top 10 player this year and a Hart candidate, I'm pretty sure he can handle C responsibility still.

Having 2 lines, who could easily be first lines, creates defensive nightmares for the opposition. Just look down the road at Pitts, they have 3 line drivers and just run over teams because When Crosby gets off Malin gets on, and when Malkin gets off Kessel jumps on. How do you defend against that?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't think anyone said it was broken but the Flyers are ultimately a 1 line team atm. The second line chips in but at the end of the day if Coutts and G don't win games for them they aren't winning many. If you get Johnny it creates 2 very good lines, regardless who you throw out there with him. G is a top 10 player this year and a Hart candidate, I'm pretty sure he can handle C responsibility still.

Having 2 lines, who could easily be first lines, creates defensive nightmares for the opposition. Just look down the road at Pitts, they have 3 line drivers and just run over teams because When Crosby gets off Malin gets on, and when Malkin gets off Kessel jumps on. How do you defend against that?

It also blows apart our future, and thrusts us back in to a 'win now' team, which we aren't. We just got done cleaning up cap messes from trying to win now. We're doing things right this time.

According to corsica, Giroux and Couturier were paired together in every line combination used this year. The Right wing on that line fluctuated, but the other two were constants, and the line dominated.

Gaudreau isnt helping us match against Malkin when his center is Joe Schmoe, I don't care how good he is, he cant be everywhere on the ice. It's a bad trade that goes against everything Flyers management has been trying to do for the past 3 years. This trade may make us better in the short term - and i even doubt that - and it destroys us in the long term. Again, easy no thanks.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
It also blows apart our future, and thrusts us back in to a 'win now' team, which we aren't. We just got done cleaning up cap messes from trying to win now. We're doing things right this time.

According to corsica, Giroux and Couturier were paired together in every line combination used this year. The Right wing on that line fluctuated, but the other two were constants, and the line dominated.

Gaudreau isnt helping us match against Malkin when his center is Joe Schmoe, I don't care how good he is, he cant be everywhere on the ice. It's a bad trade that goes against everything Flyers management has been trying to do for the past 3 years. This trade may make us better in the short term - and i even doubt that - and it destroys us in the long term. Again, easy no thanks.

I don't get how it blows apart your future, you are trading 2 young players for 2 young players, but you are getting by far the best player in the deal.

The way I see it
Johnny >>> TK>= Patrick> Bennett

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't get how it blows apart your future, you are trading 2 young players for 2 young players, but you are getting by far the best player in the deal.

The way I see it
Johnny >>> TK>= Patrick> Bennett

The problem may be your evaluation of TK and Patrick then. Ultimately, it amounts to what you project them to become. I dont expect either of them to reach Gaudreau's level, but we dont necessarily need them to either. Getting the best player means nothing when you are significantly downgrading in the other aspects of the deal.

Couturier - Patrick - Frost in the future gives us depth. Flyers should be more than content to play the long game here, and not look for the 'quick fix'. Acquiring Gaudreau also doesnt fix the goaltending issue, which will continue to hold us back no matter what. Making trades just to make trades isn't in the best interest of the flyers at the current time.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The problem may be your evaluation of TK and Patrick then. Ultimately, it amounts to what you project them to become. I dont expect either of them to reach Gaudreau's level, but we dont necessarily need them to either. Getting the best player means nothing when you are significantly downgrading in the other aspects of the deal.

Couturier - Patrick - Frost in the future gives us depth. Flyers should be more than content to play the long game here, and not look for the 'quick fix'. Acquiring Gaudreau also doesnt fix the goaltending issue, which will continue to hold us back no matter what. Making trades just to make trades isn't in the best interest of the flyers at the current time.

If Tk is a winger you significantly upgrade that in Gaudreau and while Bennett is a downgrade on Patrick, Gaudreau more than makes up for that. But I do agree that Goaltending is the biggest need.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
This. There are only about 10 players in the league that make everyone they play with MUCH better.. Gaudreau is one of them. You don’t trade that kind of player.

Couturier is another one. Every winger he has played with the past three or four years has scored a higher rate with him than without him.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If Tk is a winger you significantly upgrade that in Gaudreau and while Bennett is a downgrade on Patrick, Gaudreau more than makes up for that. But I do agree that Goaltending is the biggest need.

Elite 1st line winger is definitely better than a first line winger.
1b/2C is much better than a 3rd line LW, which is what i was told on here from Calgary fans would project Bennett as these days.

Flyers have plenty of prospects coming up that could fill that role. We only have one - Frost - Who could potentially fill Patrick's. It's a bad fit for the organization's future unless Gaudreau can make a routine out of carrying 3rd liners to 60 point seasons, which, while he's good, i'm not sure he's that good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad