GDT: Flames @ Coyotes, 7:00 MT, SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While Rittich has definitely had some bad outings, I tend to agree it's not set in stone that Gilles gets the next start. It's one thing to look good against the Yotes and another thing to look good against an actual threat to be a playoff team.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
While Rittich has definitely had some bad outings, I tend to agree it's not set in stone that Gilles gets the next start. It's one thing to look good against the Yotes and another thing to look good against an actual threat to be a playoff team.
You mean like Rittich has looked good again those playoff threats.... oh wait... he hasn't

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Yep. Rittich's performances against playoff teams like Boston, Nashville, New Jersey, and San Jose carry more weight than beating up a bottom feeder Coyotes team that made Gillies' night a cakewalk and he still let in two. Smith would have posted a shutout last night with how we dominated.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You mean like Rittich has looked good again those playoff threats.... oh wait... he hasn't

Nah, don't sell him short.
He had a rough outing against Florida and in Vegas; but he was rock solid against Nashville and Boston.

More or less playing like backup goalie. It's what separates these guys from starters.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Yep. Rittich's performances against playoff teams like Boston, Nashville, New Jersey, and San Jose carry more weight than beating up a bottom feeder Coyotes team that made Gillies' night a cakewalk and he still let in two. Smith would have posted a shutout last night with how we dominated.

You don’t know that. Nobody knows that.

Most important things is wins. Win and you’re in until Smith is back. Start Gillies

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Exactly, i don't even think this is debatable. Rittich is our starter until smith comes back. Which is troubling in itself, but Gillies looked spooked last night and needs more time to adjust. I still think he should get games in, but he shouldn't just get to run away with the starting role based on getting a W against a bottom feeder.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Obviously I wouldn't want this being Gully's rationale when we're fighting for our playoff lives, but the more we see of Rittich, the better of an idea we get as to whether he belongs in the NHL and at what level he can play. So I'd like to see more of him just because I'm curious as to whether he can be a long-term solution behind Smith or if we need to start looking for a legit backup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I know it would be great if Bennett fit nicely on that top line and they could score at will with that setup, but I actually didn't feel like the line looked all that effective yesterday despite the two goals they produced. There were times where the chemistry was clearly lacking, but maybe that improves if Bennett stays there?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Nah, don't sell him short.
He had a rough outing against Florida and in Vegas; but he was rock solid against Nashville and Boston.

More or less playing like backup goalie. It's what separates these guys from starters.

What? He was fine against San Jose, NJ, Nashville, and both of the Boston games

I was more referring to recently. But, while Rittich will make those 10 bell saves, he still lets in at least 1 softie every game since Smith went down and seems to be struggling playing every game. So, if he is going to play like a backup, why not give Gillies a shot?

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I know it would be great if Bennett fit nicely on that top line and they could score at will with that setup, but I actually didn't feel like the line looked all that effective yesterday despite the two goals they produced. There were times where the chemistry was clearly lacking, but maybe that improves if Bennett stays there?
Well, for his first game up, he looked pretty solid on that line. They should leave him there for a bit to see what they can do against stiffer competition and with more time to gel.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was more referring to recently. But, while Rittich will make those 10 bell saves, he still lets in at least 1 softie every game since Smith went down and seems to be struggling playing every game. So, if he is going to play like a backup, why not give Gillies a shot?

Gillies is pretty backup level too.
More or less, do what they did in the AHL and just ride the hot hand IMO.

I don't see either guy as a clear upgrade on the other, outside of a pillar Rittich. When his game is on, it's been really, really good.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Gillies is pretty backup level too.
More or less, do what they did in the AHL and just ride the hot hand IMO.

I don't see either guy as a clear upgrade on the other, outside of a pillar Rittich. When his game is on, it's been really, really good.
2 NHL starts, 2 wins for Gillies. .946 and .964 SV% in his two starts. Yeah, Gillies struggled in his two relief appearances, but many starting goalies struggle in relief appearances.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
NHL starts, 2 wins for Gillies. .946 and .964 SV% in his two starts. Yeah, Gillies struggled in his two relief appearances, but many starting goalies struggle in relief appearances.

Yeah, but context is helpful too.
His first game was against a beaten Kings team after the season was over. His second game was against the Dogs. I give him credit for last night, because he came in and got us a much needed win after a string of tough losses.

Without the Florida and the Vegas game, Rittich's numbers are ultra impressive as well.

I personally have no horse in the race. I know there's a few of you guys that argue about which one is better; I really see them as more or less equal. I'm fine with Gillie getting the start, but I'm also fine with Ritter getting the start. I just want wins. Neither guy strikes me as a guy I have much confidence in if we have to go the rest of the way sans Mike Smith. These games remind me of the Flames 2016-2017 campaign. Out chance, out shoot, out work other teams, still end up losing when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 26 shots.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
His first game was against a beaten Kings team after the season was over. His second game was against the Dogs. I give him credit for last night, because he came in and got us a much needed win after a string of tough losses.

Without the Florida and the Vegas game, Rittich's numbers are ultra impressive as well.

I personally have no horse in the race. I know there's a few of you guys that argue about which one is better; I really see them as more or less equal. I'm fine with Gillie getting the start, but I'm also fine with Ritter getting the start. I just want wins. Neither guy strikes me as a guy I have much confidence in if we have to go the rest of the way sans Mike Smith. These games remind me of the Flames 2016-2017 campaign. Out chance, out shoot, out work other teams, still end up losing when your goalie gives up 3 goals on 26 shots.
I'm not even arguing who is better. I am simply saying Rittich has been struggling recently, Gillies is coming off a win and is more used to playing every game than Rittich. So why not give him a chance?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
So was the new top line good? I only saw highlights but I did once suggest this line as an answer to our top line issues hopefully Bennett can find a little consistency with good linemates.

Dougie Hamilton has 9 points in the last 5 games. David Cameron used Brouwer, Brodie and others over him on the PP for 50 games. He should play more at even strength too. The guy doesn't need a baby sitter, Gio should be his main partner but in late game situations they shouldn't be afraid to double shift him.

I also have no issues seeing him PK. I'd rather he PK than Stone lol.

Reactions: Dack and Cyrano

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I agree with 100% of this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad