GDT: Flames @ Coyotes, 7:00 MT, SNET-W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Gillies was good tonight but I think he wasn’t tested too much. So long as he keeps getting his spots I wouldn’t be too concerned with treating him as the proto-backup to Rittich for now, at least until Rittich falters again.
Gillies actually made a few very good saves, but the way he made them definitely didn't fill me with great confidence. Looked shaky and nervous. That said, Rittich has had 2 out of 3 horrendous outings, so neither really seems like a sure-fire bet.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Gillies actually made a few very good saves, but the way he made them definitely didn't fill me with great confidence. Looked shaky and nervous. That said, Rittich has had 2 out of 3 horrendous outings, so neither really seems like a sure-fire bet.

Agree with you regarding Rittich recently. However I think if you take into account Rittichs body of work this season he has earned a little bit of leash here to get another kick at the can.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I think Rittich gets a pass on the Vegas game. That team just has a lot of finish, they tend to light up everybody. He was also by far the best player on the ice in the Boston game.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Brouwer was not trash tonight, have to give him credit. Showed a fair display of nift with some nice moves in the o-zone. Still god-awful on the PK but he's not going to get taken off of it no matter how obvious it is.

I have to actually wonder if he's been used appropriately by the Flames since he's been here. Throughout his whole career, he played on top lines leeching points off of better players and then he gets here and is expected to carry (essentially) scrubs. Maybe he actually is the #1RW solution, he's never really been tried with Gaudreau and Monahan. He's only played 136 minutes with those two together compared to Ferland's 880 (!) and Chiasson's 240. He even has pretty ok fancies with the two of them.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Brouwer was not trash tonight, have to give him credit. Showed a fair display of nift with some nice moves in the o-zone. Still god-awful on the PK but he's not going to get taken off of it no matter how obvious it is.

I have to actually wonder if he's been used appropriately by the Flames since he's been here. Throughout his whole career, he played on top lines leeching points off of better players and then he gets here and is expected to carry (essentially) scrubs. Maybe he actually is the #1RW solution, he's never really been tried with Gaudreau and Monahan. He's only played 136 minutes with those two together compared to Ferland's 880 (!) and Chiasson's 240. He even has pretty ok fancies with the two of them.

A Monahan-Brouwer top line would lack the top speed to be of any use. I imagine those fancies you point to are score effects.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
A Monahan-Brouwer top line would lack the top speed to be of any use. I imagine those fancies you point to are score effects.

I imagine they're mostly due to being small bits of time immediately following powerplays. Brouwer definitely has more puck skill than the average AHL callup but he rarely gets a chance to display it because he's awful in the defensive zone and in transition. Maybe giving him soft starts alongside Gaudreau would get him back to the 20-20 guy that he's been most of his career.

Maybe I'm just in an optimistic mood, idk.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Gillies was good tonight but I think he wasn’t tested too much. So long as he keeps getting his spots I wouldn’t be too concerned with treating him as the proto-backup to Rittich for now, at least until Rittich falters again.

Rittich has been poor in 3/4 starts since Smith went down. The door is wide open. Win and you’re in IMO

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
A Ferland-Jankowski-Versteeg would be pretty deadly if Versteeg plays like last year and not this year.

Deadly?

Ferland has struggled to score without Monahan and Gaudreau (and struggled with them lately) and Jankowski is on pace for 24 points this year and that is with future Hart Trophy winner Bennett on his line for most of the year.

The line might work but it is hard to see how it would be anything close to deadly.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You are seriously selling Ferland short. He has been just as consistant as Monahan this year with the difference being power play opportunity. NHLers all go through ups and downs. You shuffle lines to get all of them going. It's a game of confidence. Even Johnny has been streaky with his goal scoring.

Just as consistent?

Jesus one guy has what 57 points the other guy has 34 but they have been as consistent, Monahan just puts up a 2 point game and Ferland hasn't got a point in 7-8 games but they are just as consistent.

Look everyone knows you hate Monahan but at least try to cut down on some of the BS.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

He looks worse than our AHL call-ups out there and the solution is to have him bring down the top line?

He has had a ton of time with them on the PP and he has looked god awful each and everytime he is put there.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Kings lost 2-0

giphy.gif

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think Rittich gets a pass on the Vegas game. That team just has a lot of finish, they tend to light up everybody. He was also by far the best player on the ice in the Boston game.
Oh hell no, Rittich doesn't get a pass for that game, nor do I think he would want one. You don't get a pass to let in bad goals because the opposition is capable of scoring good goals. I'd give a goalie a pass for a game like that, maybe even two in three, if he had proven it to be an anomaly, but Rittich hasn't built up that kind of track record and trust yet.

Last edited:

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Just as consistent?

Jesus one guy has what 57 points the other guy has 34 but they have been as consistent, Monahan just puts up a 2 point game and Ferland hasn't got a point in 7-8 games but they are just as consistent.

Look everyone knows you hate Monahan but at least try to cut down on some of the BS

That last part made me giggle. Not because it's not true, but because of who said it.

You literally hate more than 50% of the players on our team as well as most of our high end prospects

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
So was the new top line good? I only saw highlights but I did once suggest this line as an answer to our top line issues hopefully Bennett can find a little consistency with good linemates.

Dougie Hamilton has 9 points in the last 5 games. David Cameron used Brouwer, Brodie and others over him on the PP for 50 games. He should play more at even strength too. The guy doesn't need a baby sitter, Gio should be his main partner but in late game situations they shouldn't be afraid to double shift him.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
So was the new top line good? I only saw highlights but I did once suggest this line as an answer to our top line issues hopefully Bennett can find a little consistency with good linemates.
I think it was good. Bennett was playing well and seeming to click with JH. I think they can see real sustained success as long as Benny continues to play a tough checking game and driving to the net.

Overall - I think almost everyone has wanted to see this line (with some variation of positions for JH, SM and SB). I'm hoping GG doesn't overthink too much and move Ferland back up to the top line.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Everyone thinking Gillies should start next game should park those thoughts. He definitely looked shaky out there last night. Rittich is far more polished at this point regardless of the Vegas massacre. I have to say, if Smith is done, this team is done. We are not a good enough team to play without a top flight goaltender and that has been evident this entire year. Smith is our MVP, without him, we are a basement team.

I hope Rittich and/or Gillies can prove me wrong, but I don't have a lot of faith with Smith out.

EDIT: Assuming Ferland is good to go next game. I think they should keep him on the 3rd and Bennett up with the top line. Might as well ride the hot hand there as Ferland has disappeared...Hopefully this nagging injury isn't holding him back too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad