Flames Confident as Battle of Alberta approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Calgary (CP): Flames GM Matthew Kershaw expressed his confidence today in his team’s ability to overcome the 2 point, 1 game advantage of the Edmonton Oilers in the battle to claim the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

"Admittedly we need help from the Kings, as the Oilers need to lose two more games than the Flames in the run in, but our team has played well in the last five games. We are getting hot at the right time."

Edmonton has six games remaining on its schedule, with three games against the hot Los Angeles Kings (presently 2nd in the conference) and three games against the Flames.

GM Kershaw referred to the playoffs before the playoffs.

"The scheduling gods have really set up a playoff before the playoffs. Our final three games are all against the Oilers. Our destiny is in our own hands."

The remaining games break down as follows:

For Edmonton: Kings, Kings, Flames, Flames, Kings, Flames.

For Calgary: Ducks, BlueJackets, Oilers, Oilers, Oilers.

NOTES: Defenceman Toni Lydman returned to the Flames line-up after missing a game with injury. Defenceman Scott Stevens continues to struggle, going a combined - 5 in the previous 8 games.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Pandastyle said:
Yeah, I love that this is how the season turned out. We actually get to play each other to decide who goes to the playoffs....I just hope that I get there and not you. :)

-Andy, EDM GM

and I hope only one of you makes it so I stay in

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Pandastyle said:
I don't think you have to worry about that Dryden....it may not even be possible, since me and Calgary play each other three times.

No I don't think it is possible... well, really down to the wire now after the Flames loss to the said Oilers last night.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames / Oilers, 1 Game, Winner goes to the Playoffs

So, here we are. The battle of Alberta. A one-game playoff series. The Oilers have to win. The Flames will advance with a tie. The Oilers are in tough, with Ryan Smyth injured. Go Flames Go.

Pandastyle

Yeah, this sucks, one final game to determine who gets into the playoffs and my best player is injured. Nabby's really gonna have to come up big for me to win this one.
mashcanada said:
So, here we are. The battle of Alberta. A one-game playoff series. The Oilers have to win. The Flames will advance with a tie. The Oilers are in tough, with Ryan Smyth injured. Go Flames Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->