GDT: Flames @ Avalanche, 7:30 PM MST. Sportsnet 360, Fan 960

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The roster has some big holes but I think coaching the biggest problem.....

Good bye GG.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
All this *****ing and whining about the bottom 6, yet they aren't the reason we are losing.
Bottom 6s are allowed to contribute. If out bottom 6 provided a little scoring maybe were not I the posiion we are in. Tonight the 3M line was good and the top line was off a good bottom 6 might show up in a game like this and give us a much needed boost.

Reactions: lightstorm

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
This is a weak team, and the coaching has been a big part of that.
Brutal bottom 6 as well. No show for most of the season.
Playoffs are looking dim.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Does Troy f***ing Brouwer know that when the puck gets away from him, he can try to get it? Every f***ing time he expects someone to come pick it up instead of doing it himself even when it's a foot away from him. f***ing ridiculous

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
200w.webp

Beyond frustrated with this team. Good thing we picked up Stewart and Shore for that extra scoring depth. You get what you pay for and a 7th rd pick isn't going to get you much.

Refs were horrawful but the Avs just wanted it more. No faith in this team because it's obvious they have no faith in themselves.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
And yep I don't see this team making the playoffs unless the team bus gets struck by lightning.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Does Troy ****ing Brouwer know that when the puck gets away from him, he can try to get it? Every ****ing time he expects someone to come pick it up instead of doing it himself even when it's a foot away from him. ****ing ridiculous

then we pick Stewart, he is not just expecting someone to pick it up, he actually runs away from it :laugh:

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Playoff hopes getting slimmer by the day, need at least a 5 game winning streak here to get in. Oh well, just gotta pray that the Isles don't win the lottery with our pick.

BobColesNasalCavity

Oct 15, 2016
West Side
Hope the Hawks let Q go and Glen is instantly fired so we can hire him. I still think we have enough skill on this team. We're definitely lacking another superstar type forward, and the bottom six obviously needs work, or growth from Jank and somebody on his wings, but the skill in the top 6 and on the backend is there. We need Brodie and co. to be in the play more to add more offense. Glen seems to have neutered it. Glen's gotta go though.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
My friend wants Treliving fired as well as Gulutzan, but I'm willing to give him 1 more shot at a coach before I call for his head.

But seriously, just fire Gulutzan already and let Cameron take over until the end of the year. Both are terrible, but sacking Gully may wake some guys up until the off-season.

If the Oilers end up getting rid of MacT and we hold on to Gully too long and they get a better coach (like Quenville), I'll be livid.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
My friend wants Treliving fired as well as Gulutzan, but I'm willing to give him 1 more shot at a coach before I call for his head.

But seriously, just fire Gulutzan already and let Cameron take over until the end of the year. Both are terrible, but sacking Gully may wake some guys up until the off-season.

If the Oilers end up getting rid of MacT and we hold on to Gully too long and they get a better coach (like Quenville), I'll be livid.

What does he see happening if a new GM comes in instead of keeping Treliving?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Living in Ontario I couldn't watch this one, too early a start for work.

Frustrating to see the score but this has been the case with the team this year. Very up and down with little depth scoring (mainly bottom 6) when our first line isn't going.

Anyway, yeah, I think our coaching is an issue. Maturity too though we're running out of time for that excuse.

Maybe we're Tampa next year if we get rid of some of dead weights and pick up some offense over the summer. Hey, The Bolts missed the playoffs last year and are a top 3 squad this year. One can only hope management sees our problems. And perhaps we go on like a 10 game winning streak. Who knows with this roller coaster year.

Last edited:

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
So... about that first round pick of ours that the Islanders own...

Honestly i wish Isles pick another Barzal caliber player, i think their fanbase deserves a break.

Or even better, hope Isles win the lottery and keep Dahlen away from Vancouver and Edmonton.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ritter looked bad, and has looked bad for a few games now.

I think you have to ride Gillies, he’s got the hot hand. I’ve liked his game so far, he just got out dueled by a better goalie in D.

Second game in a row I haven’t hated our play 5v5, yet we get beat.

Reactions: Janks

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
The players just simply don't seem to be on the same page most of the time. It's like instead of creating plays as a team, they are just reacting to each others' on-ice decisions and the result looks jerky and erratic. Only Johnny, Monahan, Tkachuk and Backlund seem to be confidently in control of what's going on most of the time, and Gio at D. The rest get by on individual talent if they happen to have some. Likely a coaching problem? It's like they don't practice playing as a team or have any set plays. Mike Smith has covered a lot of these warts this year, but with him gone and the top line having a quiet night this is what you get. It's, uh, "visually better" than in October but still quite painful to watch.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Ritter looked bad, and has looked bad for a few games now.

I think you have to ride Gillies, he’s got the hot hand. I’ve liked his game so far, he just got out dueled by a better goalie in D.

Second game in a row I haven’t hated our play 5v5, yet we get beat.

It's frustrating because Rittich looks a lot better technically than Gillies but seems to lack the ability to stop the tide when the other team turns up the heat. So we've got to choose between the goalie who will eventually get exploited for bad positioning and poor puck handling vs the one who lets the game get into his head.

Forgot what this was like. Smith was a godsend.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What a weird game last night. The refereeing during the middle stanza of the game was really strange. Flames were getting penalties for body-checking while the Avs could do no wrong. Then that decision involving Johnny is a really bad look for the league. I was listening to NHL Network Radio this morning and it was the first thing Mike Johnson wanted to talk about- how bad they blew that call, and good for Johnny for saying enough is enough. The ridiculous thing is that Johnny didn't even end up grabbing his face. He instinctively went to, then stopped himself and carried on playing.

Anyway, I still think we're far better off with Bennett off the top line. He isn't a fit with that line; it may be as simple as just the fact that we have two left wingers and neither knows how to play right wing properly, or it's a stylistic thing. If the third guy on that line isn't going to be making it better, we might as well have a plug there to let Bennett make Janko's line better.

Reactions: Dack

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad