GDT: Flames at Stars: 6:30pm MT on SNW

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I didn't watch this game, despite the loss, how did Gillies look? IMO, always thought this guy is a stud but I feel he hasn't given a good opportunity to shine until now. Is he still the number 1 goalie prospect in the organization?

I would say as has been usual for him 1 bad goal coupled with some great saves. The bad goals are a concern but the great saves show the athleticism combined with his size that could make him a starter at some point. I think there are still things he needs to work on though and next year in the AHL as the starter again will likely be best for him.

I think it is pretty close between him/Rittich/Parsons for #1 prospect. Rittich may have graduated from prospect at this point and I think he clearly has shown the most with the highest "floor" of the 3. I think Parsons has the highest ceiling but still has a long way to go to reach it. And I would put Gillies in the middle of both categories. Now that is obviously a very simple way to judge and categorize them but I think in terms of who would/could take over from Smith when his deal is done it is still very much a 3-way race with none of them that much ahead of the others.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I didn't watch this game, despite the loss, how did Gillies look? IMO, always thought this guy is a stud but I feel he hasn't given a good opportunity to shine until now. Is he still the number 1 goalie prospect in the organization?

He looked fine.

The goal he got beat on was a terrible turn over by Sean Monahan and then he squared up too fast, and was expecting a pass... instead got beat by the player simply going a bit more wide.

The other goal was on a PP, where our Dman literally got bear hugged in the corner and rode for a solid 3-4 seconds; puck fed into the slot and Dallas scored. Shouldn't of counted, but hey, that happens, we couldn't make Dallad pay on a long 5v3, so...

Bishop won a goalie duel, where we were by far the better team. Do not fault Gillies for that one, he looks like he has a chance to be a decent goalie for us or someone else in the near future.

Reactions: Janks

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would say as has been usual for him 1 bad goal coupled with some great saves. The bad goals are a concern but the great saves show the athleticism combined with his size that could make him a starter at some point. I think there are still things he needs to work on though and next year in the AHL as the starter again will likely be best for him.

I think it is pretty close between him/Rittich/Parsons for #1 prospect. Rittich may have graduated from prospect at this point and I think he clearly has shown the most with the highest "floor" of the 3. I think Parsons has the highest ceiling but still has a long way to go to reach it. And I would put Gillies in the middle of both categories. Now that is obviously a very simple way to judge and categorize them but I think in terms of who would/could take over from Smith when his deal is done it is still very much a 3-way race with none of them that much ahead of the others.

I agree with this.
I would say unless with give Smith another year extension after next season, Parsons likely won't be ready.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Anyone with any idea of how to manage our lines going into next game ????

Bennett-Monahan-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Backlund-Stewart
Frolik-Janko-Lazar
Stajan-Shore-Brouwer

I really have no idea, can't wait to get Ferland back. Stewart didn't impress me, I'd rather bump him out. that said he had zero prep time and I'm not going to hold it against him as he wasn't a disaster. But we need to win f***ing games at this point. GG really did leave his little experiment together too long, but at the same time, Stewart is not the reason we lost. Gillies/Bishop did us in.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Anyone with any idea of how to manage our lines going into next game ????

Bennett-Monahan-Gaudreau
Tkachuk-Backlund-Stewart
Frolik-Janko-Lazar
Stajan-Shore-Brouwer

I really have no idea, can't wait to get Ferland back. Stewart didn't impress me, I'd rather bump him out. that said he had zero prep time and I'm not going to hold it against him as he wasn't a disaster. But we need to win ****ing games at this point. GG really did leave his little experiment together too long, but at the same time, Stewart is not the reason we lost. Gillies/Bishop did us in.

It’s not surprising though and that was my whole point before last game. Using the information we had, no logical person would have played him there to start with at all so the results were to be expected. Gully is honestly a very poor coach because his player usage is the worst in the NHL. He should be fired immediately.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
It’s not surprising though and that was my whole point before last game. Using the information we had, no logical person would have played him there to start with at all so the results were to be expected. Gully is honestly a very poor coach because his player usage is the worst in the NHL. He should be fired immediately.

Immediately, meh, who are we gonna pickup at this point in the season and what will the results be? Next year, absolutely...But if we make the playoffs, don't count on it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Immediately, meh, who are we gonna pickup at this point in the season and what will the results be? Next year, absolutely...But if we make the playoffs, don't count on it.

Call up Huska, he would be an immediate improvement and wouldn’t change the system a ton.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Call up Huska, he would be an immediate improvement and wouldn’t change the system a ton.
I think we're the same person these days. Exactly what I would do.

GG has shown he doesn't understand much. Playing a waiver pick up after 1 practice on the top line because he's a RHS is stupid. Bring up Huska, and push hard for Joel Q if the Hawks cut him at the end of the year.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary

The time to do that was months ago now. I've been on the fire GG bandwagon since the first 3 months of the season. I don't see anyone improving us at this point. But I could be wrong...Doesn't matter anyway, zero chance he gets fired before the end of the season.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
The time to do that was months ago now. I've been on the fire GG bandwagon since the first 3 months of the season. I don't see anyone improving us at this point. But I could be wrong...Doesn't matter anyway, zero chance he gets fired before the end of the season.

Maybe the new coach next season will put Brodie back to his strong side and play Sammy with top 6 caliber players? Seems like a pipe dream these days..

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Maybe the new coach next season will put Brodie back to his strong side and play Sammy with top 6 caliber players? Seems like a pipe dream these days..

Yup, I've said it before. Deciding we cannot play Brodie on his off-side is probably the biggest mistake GG ever made. That and no Hamilton on PP1. The guy just makes horrible decisions, and then baffles us all when he doesn't change an obvious mistake for large stretches of time.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Yup, I've said it before. Deciding we cannot play Brodie on his off-side is probably the biggest mistake GG ever made. That and no Hamilton on PP1. The guy just makes horrible decisions, and then baffles us all when he doesn't change an obvious mistake for large stretches of time.
Agreed 100%. Waiting 55-ish games (and an injury to the Brouwer play) to realize that one of the top offensive D-men in the league should be put on the PP screams that GG is in over his head.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Agreed 100%. Waiting 55-ish games (and an injury to the Brouwer play) to realize that one of the top offensive D-men in the league should be put on the PP screams that GG is in over his head.

He’s done some good things. Like his 5 on 5 system is pretty good.. taught the team to play some defence.

But his player usage is just to the point where it should cost him a job, because he’s costing us a playoff spot.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
He’s done some good things. Like his 5 on 5 system is pretty good.. taught the team to play some defence.

But his player usage is just to the point where it should cost him a job, because he’s costing us a playoff spot.
Agreed 100%. I think he's exactly what he was brought in for - and those are his strengths.

I think his 5v5 X's and O's is pretty good, his system makes sense and (when we play it correctly and things work), we are a very good team. I've also heard he's excellent in the room with the players which is what was touted bringing him in.

The downside is player usage, the fact that we can't always play the system (either too complex or whatever) and his handedness fetish/stubbornness.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Not necessarily. The Heat play virtually the same system as the Flames, so I think Huska is literally the one coach you could go roll with in the in-term. At least get a guy who won’t change the system that much but is capable of actually making smart coaching decisions.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's too late to fire a coach now.....we are stuck with GG, make the playoff he gets to keep his job....out of the playoff, he is a goner and BT get the yellow card.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad