GDT: Flames at Sharks: 8:30pm MT on SNW

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
in 14-15, when we had no hope they made the playoffs.
in 15-16, when we had playoff hopes they **** the bed and we drafted Tkachuk
in 16-17, when he had no hope they made the playoffs.
in 17-18, when we had playoff hopes... no 1st or 2nd round pick...

This team likely misses the playoffs and even if they do squeak in we are looking at a first-round exit barring a 2004-like miracle. I'm pretty bummed about after that loss but I think it's about time to accept this squad isn't a contender and needs a major shakeup. It is so frustrating to watch them play bad and lose but to also play good and still lose almost as much as they win. The only players I can count on to show up for each game are Gio and the 3M line.

We are really no better than 16-17 but the Hamonic hype fooled all of us. It was faked gold.

I'd rather have Engelland and keep the assets. Engelland>Hamonic by a fair margin if you include his toughness

Reactions: Cyrano

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
The Flames have shown they are all capable of playing at high level , just not together at the same time.
They are unmotivated, complacent, prone to mistakes, lack of character

We cant get rid of the whole team (but we should)

The only solution is

1) get rid of GG to get someone that can get the team going.
2)get rid of BT for putting together a bunch of character, for hiring GG and for making horrific the Hamonic deal and wasting money on garbage like Brouwer.
3)get rid of both

I would do 1 but dont mind 3 at this point neither.

I'm definitely on board with canning GG and Cameron immediately, but I think BT should get a bit more time.

Also, getting rid of Stajan, Brouwer, and keeping versteeg away will keep my bile down a bit more too. A better coach would just do that.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don’t think Treliving will fire Gully in season, but IMO we should be looking for a new coach right now. Missing the playoffs is unacceptable with the roster we have. This team is not showing they are a playoff team and the Oilers are coming on now and the Ducks will likely knock us out of the picture completely. If we miss the playoffs, I could see Burke even firing Treliving.

I don’t think it’s realistic for anyone to expect this team will go on another 10 game run. How many times does that happen a year in the NHL, 2-3 times? Given the sample we have seen this season, it’s likely to conclude that we won’t be making the playoffs this season and considering we gave up our 1st rounder, it might cost the GM his job. Something needs to change and fast.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
It's not that we lost one game, it's this team consistently looks like lazy, unmotivated, dog shit. It's either the players don't have the will/character/skill that we thought they did, or the coach is telling them to play a stupid confusing system and is unable to help them achieve better results. Since option 1 means big trades need to happen, and there won't be any fixes overnight I would rather just run with option two. The worst result that could happen is that we miss the playoffs, which is what's most statistically likely to happen already. I would rather move on from this coach that no one even likes enough to really defend than sacrifice the rest of this season to stupidity and mediocrity.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Alternately, what if we "playfaired" him: Make him an "associate coach", shoot cameron into the sun (hopefully never to be seen again...) and bring in someone to be the big cheese. That way it's less of a hard split, the guys won't feel too abandoned, but everyone will see how serious this situation is. If Gully ends up being unhappy and leaving at the end of the season as a result, good riddance.

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This team has 3 good lines that are all capable of playing defence and can score. We have “one the top defence cores in the league” (I realize they are not playing that way). We finally have a #1 goalie and a decent backup.

There are literally no excuses for us not to be a playoff team. We have spent mega assets to have the roster we do, our only hole is another goal scorer. There is a lot of reason for concern IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Personally I think if we switch systems mid season we are beyond screwed. The time it will take to adjust will cost us a playoff spot.

Gully has righted this ship before and I fully expect him to do so again over the last 45 games of the season.

If he does miss the playoffs then the tanner glass, matt Bartkowski, Andrew Mangiapane, Eddie Lack decisions should get someone fired. I’m patient though.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Personally I think if we switch systems mid season we are beyond screwed. The time it will take to adjust will cost us a playoff spot.

Gully has righted this shop before and I fully expect him to do do again over the last 45 games of the season.

If he does miss the playoffs then the tanner glass, matt Bartkowski, Andrew Mangiapane, Eddie Lack decisions should get someone fired. I’m patient though.

I wouldn’t expect the systems to change a ton. Treliving believes in playing a certain way so I don’t think he would hire someone that would have a polar opposite system. I just want someone who can get these guys to play with some urgency. I also want a coach who knows how to utilize our defence.

Honestly I kinda want Brent Sutter lol.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is nothing, just take till, Garth Snow walk up to the podium and uses our pick to select Brady Tkachuk.

I don't think Tkachuk is expected to go that low.

With him being American and a son of an NHLer he will get a bump up rather than drop down if anything.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
On a more positive note, I thought this game perfectly demonstrated why we need to extend Backlund. He was excellent defensively the whole game, and especially in the third when the Sharks were really piling it on

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
We still have 18 games remaining against Pacific Division teams (Edm 3x, Ana 3x, La 3x, Az 3x, Vgk 4x, Sjs 2x) and we currently have a 6-4-1 record against Pacific teams. We also still have 5 games against Chicago, Dallas & Minny left, all teams that are in the WC mix, just gotta get as many points as possible from those 23 games.
There's 8 games remaining before the bye-week, hopefully we can pick up 10-12 of those 16 points.

Reactions: snipetype

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Jesus Christ the amount of stupidity in here is nauseating
I like it when we agree on stuff.

Also, I think my favourite part of the game (which wasn't bad, overall; just an unfortunate outcome) is that Brodie played a full 60 minutes like OG Brodie. He was defending the everloving crap out of that ice.

edit: My other favourite thing is that we have two whole competent goalies at once. That's pretty rare for the Flames.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
Well one of the positives from this game is Rittich, but the rest of the team looked mediocre.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not one game; it's the summation of 37 games. Accept it or not, expectations were raised when Treliving traded all his picks away forever for win now pieces. They were raised when Gulutzan said they should be a 100 point team. Yet halfway through the season this team can't even manage to hold onto a wild card spot, let alone compete for the division which is what most expected of them. So yeah, it's fair for people to be frustrated to some extent.

But Treliving isn't the type to be making panic moves. Which is more than acceptable; the last thing this organization needs is another Year of Madness. If Versteeg if done for the season, Treliving will probably look for a replacement, i.e., a right shot powerplay winger. Other than that, he probably waits it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad