GDT: Flames at Jets. 6pm MT, not on TV.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Let's make an assessment based on this fact.

No.

But, regardless of that fact, I will say that Jankowski definitely looks excellent defensively on a shift by shift basis, and that was a contributor to why he was not on the ice for any PPGA. Anyone saying that he's going to struggle defensively in the NHL and saying he's necessarily worse than Monahan defensively because he's never played in the NHL is out to lunch - and I'm not basing that off of preseason.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think it is going to be Bartowski the #6 this year.

Kulak has awful this pre-season clearly the worst defense man, Anderson and Witherspoon have way too many mistakes and while Bartowski has terrible the coaches can nobody "stepping up" and taking the spot from him.

It will be will be terrible because he sucks but really I am not sure any of the other deserve ir will be any better.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Our season doesn't really hinge on a #6, and no team in this league has a perfect D group.

Will our goalies and main 5 be good enough to keep pucks out of our net is more the question we have to be asking

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think we could use Jagr.

Definitely.

Poirier was one of the good bubble guys today could see him making the team.

Bartkowski makes a crap tonne of mistakes that he's not called out on because they aren't rookie mistakes they're just the player he is. Against Vancouver he legit managed to give up a breakaway during a power play breakout. I'd prefer pretty much anyone whether it's one of our internal guys or a waiver claim.

The good news is I don't see the #6 guy being decided yet because all of the candidates have sucked. Also Valimaki should be sent to junior soon good player with a lot of potential but he's not ready yet.

Last edited:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Our season doesn't really hinge on a #6, and no team in this league has a perfect D group.

Will our goalies and main 5 be good enough to keep pucks out of our net is more the question we have to be asking

Yeah, the key is to see the other 5 playing like they are supposed to

The only disappointment in this preseason is the turn around from the draft is still mostly a myth beyond the lottery picks. Button is still a big joke.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Normally this would be true but

1) Gulutzan is known to overplay the third pair in crucial playoff games even when they're a clear liability
2) Stone might be a good player, but as a 5 he's got serious flaws that need to be offset by his partner, which Bartkowski simply doesn't do.
3) Our goalies are remarkably average, which combined with what's looking like a poor third pair, will result in some goals against that could have been avoided
4) I think this team is good enough to make the playoffs with a bad bottom pair, and even go deep if they do what the Blackhawks do. But returning to (1) it'll just cost us at some point.
5) While there's still seven+ months to fill that hole, I don't trust Treliving to do it. He's botched the bottom-of-roster every year he's been here. Whether that was Bollig, or Bartkowski, or Brouwer... we just never throw out the best possible team and while a team with a stacked top-of-roster could compensate, we're a team that needs depth contributions to contend (which isn't a tall ask as we do have some depth).

Will Bart cost us the playoffs? Maybe not.
Will he cost us a playoff game, or two, or three? He did last year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

For that is kind of what is most concerning. The season doesn't revolve around the 6th guy and they don't need to be close to perfect, just not absolutely terrible and for the most part none of the "contenders" have been able to do that.

All the 6th guy has to do is not make huge blunders and outside of Wotherspoon (who has been fairly iffy) none of the guys have been able to show that so far. Kulak is a pylon out there and seems clueless in his own zone. Andersson has been good at times but gives up odd man rushes like he has money on the other team. Bartkowski has been Bartkowski.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Kulak has seemingly regressed.

Spoon is nothing special.

Bartkowski just should not be an option. He doesn't have an NHL skillset. A Bartkowski-Stone combo will be so so bad. I love Stone but he's not a puck lover.

Valimaki looks a little in over his head.

Honestly, it's Rasmus for me. He's been by far the most consistent player. His head is always up. Being left handed doesn't make you better at hockey. It's a marginal advantage at best.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
So OKG thinks Monahan is terrible and Kulak is good.

Just so everyone knows.

Monahan makes 1 bad play at the blue line on the PP, he's awful. Kulak has made 1 good play the entire pre-season, he should make the team.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Normally this would be true but

1) Gulutzan is known to overplay the third pair in crucial playoff games even when they're a clear liability
2) Stone might be a good player, but as a 5 he's got serious flaws that need to be offset by his partner, which Bartkowski simply doesn't do.
3) Our goalies are remarkably average, which combined with what's looking like a poor third pair, will result in some goals against that could have been avoided
4) I think this team is good enough to make the playoffs with a bad bottom pair, and even go deep if they do what the Blackhawks do. But returning to (1) it'll just cost us at some point.
5) While there's still seven+ months to fill that hole, I don't trust Treliving to do it. He's botched the bottom-of-roster every year he's been here. Whether that was Bollig, or Bartkowski, or Brouwer... we just never throw out the best possible team and while a team with a stacked top-of-roster could compensate, we're a team that needs depth contributions to contend (which isn't a tall ask as we do have some depth).

Will Bart cost us the playoffs? Maybe not.
Will he cost us a playoff game, or two, or three? He did last year.

Agreed with points 1, 3-4.
Regarding point 2, if Stone has to be carried by someone at least as good as he is to mask the flaws in his game, is he really a #5 then?
And in terms of point 5: Brouwer was brought in under the assumption that he would be a middle 6 guy, Bartkowski for expansion. Bollig, Raymond, and the Bouma extension were mistakes however.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Kulak has seemingly regressed.

Spoon is nothing special.

Bartkowski just should not be an option. He doesn't have an NHL skillset. A Bartkowski-Stone combo will be so so bad. I love Stone but he's not a puck lover.

Valimaki looks a little in over his head.

Honestly, it's Rasmus for me. He's been by far the most consistent player. His head is always up. Being left handed doesn't make you better at hockey. It's a marginal advantage at best.

Actually if anything Rasmus is most likely to be left handed out of all mentioned players ;).

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

Just so everyone knows.

Monahan makes 1 bad play at the blue line on the PP, he's awful. Kulak has made 1 good play the entire pre-season, he should make the team.

Huh?

You are seriously making things up. I never said Monahan was terrible tonight. Nor did I say Kulak has been "good" in the preseason.

I said Monahan had a pretty typical Monahan night... not much happened for him but he did score a goal. That's extremely typical for Sean Monahan. For the guy who got to play with Tkachuk, that line didn't exactly dominate even if they scored twice opportunistically. Monahan was not terrible, but he did not look like a so-called "1C". If you can't fill the broad gap between "terrible" and "not quite top line center" in your head for player evaluation then don't respond to what I'm talking about.

I said Kulak is good and should make the team despite whatever hyperbolicly terrible preseason he's having (he's having a meh preseason, not good but not half as bad as people here are making it out to be).

Check your agenda at the door and respond to things I actually say instead of rephrasing them to fit your personal attack narrative.

Agreed with points 1, 3-4.
Regarding point 2, if Stone has to be carried by someone at least as good as he is to mask the flaws in his game, is he really a #5 then?

Well before we traded for Stone, I considered him a #6 and thought his market value would be around 3.25M because he has an ability to produce points, but that shouldn't confuse him with being a puck mover. I think Kulak is able to handle the puck moving elements just fine, and Kylington isn't that far away either.

I do think Andersson is gaining on Stone and might make Stone expendable sooner than later though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
My takeaways from watching this game:
- Clearly this was an AHL caliber team versus more or less the full Jets team.
- Lack was 'meh', there hasn't been a single goalie jumping off the page in camp. You have to hope Lack and Smith put it together for the regular season, or this'll be a long one again.
- That 6D is going to be another sore point for this team. Clearly, clearly all the guys tonight played above their heads. In no world should Wotherspoon, Bart or Kulak be playing 20 minutes+ a night.
- Stone's a warrior, love the guy, but there's a chance he drags around deadweight this year for a long portion. If they pair him with Bart, it'll be no different than Engelland.

To me, Kulak's been an absolute disappointment this training camp. I don't care about him being 'meh' or any excuses we can conjure up... Really wanted him to grab a spot with a stranglehold and not let it go. Instead we're bouncing the idea of playing Rasmus on his offside, having Bart and until recently Wotherspoon getting the 6D. That's a disappointment because we know he can be a good little puck mover back there.

Oh well, next!

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
To me, Kulak's been an absolute disappointment this training camp. I don't care about him being 'meh' or any excuses we can conjure up... Really wanted him to grab a spot with a stranglehold and not let it go. Instead we're bouncing the idea of playing Rasmus on his offside, having Bart and until recently Wotherspoon getting the 6D. That's a disappointment because we know he can be a good little puck mover back there.

Oh well, next!

Nobody stood out to take the spot from Bart and nobody stood out to take the spot from Freddie. Pretty sad.

Maybe coaching problem.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Just so everyone knows.

Actually OKG praised Monahan on the previous page. I know because I had to double take who wrote it.

As for Kulak I was hoping he'd take a step, doesn't look like he has. Bart/Stone for bottom pair I guess.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Actually OKG praised Monahan on the previous page. I know because I had to double take who wrote it.

I praise Monahan plenty. Certain vocal people here are just binary-minded and can't handle criticism or thorough analysis of their favorite player and label me as a hater, rephrasing my comments to fit their agendas.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I praise Monahan plenty. Certain vocal people here are just binary-minded and can't handle criticism or thorough analysis of their favorite player and label me as a hater, rephrasing my comments to fit their agendas.

Having Monahan slotted as a 3rd liner winger would do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->