GDT: Flames at Habs: wherein the hockey gods make it up to us (5:30pm on SNW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Anyone know if there's a place to find a heat map of where Mony has scored all his goals in his career from? Probably just looks like one little red blob 4 feet in front the net.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
Seriously lol. Not even close.
I have watched almost every Flame game this year and he has been good in all of the games I have watched. He has been snakebitten more than any other player on this roster and should easily have at least 5-10 more points.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I have watched almost every Flame game this year and he has been good in all of the games I have watched. He has been snakebitten more than any other player on this roster and should easily have at least 5-10 more points.
I also have watched almost every Flames game this year and I respectfully disagree. Bennett's been snake bitten but a byproduct of that, and the thing that affects his play the most IMO, is his confidence. Bennett works hard but when his confidence is low there's a serious difference in his play from when he's feeling it.

Reactions: Janko Unchained

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'd say in the early games at centre Bennett was "good" in the same way Lance Bouma was "good": he tried really hard, and it showed. But he was often in terrible position, stickhandled himself into corners, didn't use his linemates properly, lost the puck with regularity, and tried to get around defenders one-on-one (or one-on-two) with repeated failures.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Even the past two games I have noticed Bennett doing his usual "I will try and do everything" stick handling through a defender (which fails) rather than pass it off to Janko or Hathaway for the safer play.

He plays a lot better when they get the cycle going with Janko and Jagr/Hathaway.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I have been as big (a rational) supporter of Bennett as anyone and defended his slow start as him being snake bitten and creating more than he was producing but come on there is no way he has been one of the best players this year or good in every game.

I guess it depends on how you define best players and how long that list goes but I would say there is no argument that he is behind Monahan, Gio, Tkachuk, Backlund, Gaudreau and Smith. I think it would be a tough argument to say he has been better than Hamilton and because I am biased I might put him ahead of Ferland but I doubt most do. Then at best he has been equal to Brodie, Hamonic and Frolik.

I love the kid and am glad that he has started producing like many of us expected him to but there is no need to go overboard with the fake praise. He has been very good lately, he has not been one of the best players all year (or even during this latest stretch.)

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
As I said in the main board thread, since Monahan entered the league, among centermen he is 6th in goals, 18th in points, 4th in game winning goals and tied for 1st in overtime goals. To me that is not just a #1C, but a clutch #1C. Not to mention he see the play well enough and is adept enough at passing to make sure that defenses can't just defend the shot.

I agree with you on this but people do better when you provide more info. Give a list of the top 20 players in all those categories. It helps to hold their hands with concern to any Flames player.

Ok Ok Ok ill admit it I would like to see it lol.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I agree with you on this but people do better when you provide more info. Give a list of the top 20 players in all those categories. It helps to hold their hands with concern to any Flames player.

Ok Ok Ok ill admit it I would like to see it lol.
Is NHL.com that difficult for people to use themselves?

Points - tied @ 18th (apparently Eberle is listed as a C)
NHL.com - Stats

Goals - 6th (1 behind Stamkos)
NHL.com - Stats

OT Goals - 1st
NHL.com - Stats

GWG Goals - tied 4th
NHL.com - Stats

or instead of clicking each link you can click one and sort the categories for yourself

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
I have never really looked into what nhl.com can do. But i do know not to bother asking you anything anymore. Its like getting an oilers opinion on things. Got it wont happen again.

Yotes4Cup

Dec 1, 2017
I have been as big (a rational) supporter of Bennett as anyone and defended his slow start as him being snake bitten and creating more than he was producing but come on there is no way he has been one of the best players this year or good in every game.

I guess it depends on how you define best players and how long that list goes but I would say there is no argument that he is behind Monahan, Gio, Tkachuk, Backlund, Gaudreau and Smith. I think it would be a tough argument to say he has been better than Hamilton and because I am biased I might put him ahead of Ferland but I doubt most do. Then at best he has been equal to Brodie, Hamonic and Frolik.

I love the kid and am glad that he has started producing like many of us expected him to but there is no need to go overboard with the fake praise. He has been very good lately, he has not been one of the best players all year (or even during this latest stretch.)

Bennett never takes a shift off. This kid is all heart and is a great player to root for. He has been better than Backlund, Tkachuk, and Monahan this year. The rest you can argue have been better than Sam. Monahan takes a lot of shifts off and looks invincible some games. Tkachuk as well, some games he is barely noticeable. Backlund is in the same boat as well. Bennett has been noticeable in almost every game I have watched and has made an impact. If Bennett played with Johnny for a substantial amount of time he would be putting up just as much if not more points than Monahan is right now.

Bennett has way more skill than Monahan does and is a play driver, unlike Monahan. He also sticks up for his teammates and is not afraid to fight. Bennett on the right team would be easily over a PPG player right now. The Flames need to put him on the first line.

Guys like Bennett put it all on the line and that is why he was one of the Flames best players in the playoffs last year as well. If you want to see the Stanley Cup in Calgary in the next 20 years then Sam Bennett is a player you want on your team.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Bennett never takes a shift off. This kid is all heart and is a great player to root for. He has been better than Backlund, Tkachuk, and Monahan this year. The rest you can argue have been better than Sam. Monahan takes a lot of shifts off and looks invincible some games. Tkachuk as well, some games he is barely noticeable. Backlund is in the same boat as well. Bennett has been noticeable in almost every game I have watched and has made an impact. If Bennett played with Johnny for a substantial amount of time he would be putting up just as much if not more points than Monahan is right now.

Bennett has way more skill than Monahan does and is a play driver, unlike Monahan. He also sticks up for his teammates and is not afraid to fight. Bennett on the right team would be easily over a PPG player right now. The Flames need to put him on the first line.

Guys like Bennett put it all on the line and that is why he was one of the Flames best players in the playoffs last year as well. If you want to see the Stanley Cup in Calgary in the next 20 years then Sam Bennett is a player you want on your team.

I love Bennett. Even if everything you said was true Monahan is a finisher. There is no debating that he just has a knack for finding the back of the net. Bennett has shown he has a knack for hitting everything but the back of the net. Until he figures out how to finish in the NHL he should stay on the third line where he has been slowly improving.

Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I love Bennett as well but there’s no way he would put up numbers even close to Monahan playing with Gaudreau.

He hasn’t proven that he can score consistently at the NHL level. He does work hard, but sometimes he doesn’t work smart.

He simply hasn’t been more valuable to the team this year than tkachuk or backlund either. Maybe he will be in the future and he’s been great over the last ten games but I think you’re a bit off with this one

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

Look I like Bennett so I don't want to come off as being down on the guy but this is complete BS.

Bennett does in fact take shifts off but even if he didn't not taking shifts off doesn't make you better than other guys. It is a good skill to have but it doesn't trump skill and production. Unfortunately for Bennett early on the only reason he wasn't invisible in many games was because he took some bad penalties.

I also find it very hard to believe that Bennett would go 15 games without scoring and be on pace for ~25 points this year but if put up higher in the line-up would all of a sudden be a PPG player. If this is true how come nobody in the Flames organization- players, coaches, GM, asst GM, scouts, water boy etc., nobody in the local or national media, any other NHL team and outside of maybe 1 or 2 other homers have realized this? The only people who believe this are Monahan haters who have an agenda to push him down the line-up because in every possible way to measure a player- production, skill, eye test- Monahan comes out on top of Bennett.

Bennett has really turned it around recently and improved his play. He was never close to as bad as rival fans wanted him to be earlier in the year but he is also not remotely close to the level you are trying to sell him at either.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Here are all the facts about Bennett:

He is 58-45 on the faceoff dot this year (56.3%)

He was getting robbed of points earlier this season when guys like Lazar, Versteeg, Brouwer were killing every play, and he simply wasn't shooting much tryig to cover for them. I had made a post outlining some of those plays:

Just click the arrow link after "OvermanKingGainer said: " - 3-part post with lots of media.

Bennett hurt himself with penalties earlier this season. It was an adjustment to a new rule set for a player who plays on an edge.

Bennett was asked to not only carry bad forwards, but also asked to carry Matt Bartkowski who, like Brouwer, Lazar, and a turns-out-injured Versteeg, is not a replacement level NHLer.

Bennett let the confidence hit of playing with non-NHLers hurt himself. But his could have been nipped in the bud instead of left to fester.

Bennett is currently ahead of Tkahuk, Backlund, Frolik etc in 5v5 points rate. He trails only Ferland, Monahan, and Gaudreau all of whom play together on the same line. Hmm.

Bennett is not on the first power play unit, which usually eats up 65% of most power plays. Despite being a better ice hockey player than Versteeg, and Brouwer who also excels in those areas(right half-wall, front-of-net).

Bennett is not even a mainstay on the second power play unit, despite guys like Frolik and even Jagr doing ****-all on that unit. Bennett lacks the skill or tenacity to be worthy of a PP spot? I disagree grossly.

Bennett is one of our better penalty killers - better thannpretty much everyone except Frolik and Backlund. He is used less than guys like Stajan and Brouwer on the PK.

Bennett has the skill and speed to contribute on 3v3. Except he has only ever gotten an oppprtunity with Kris Versteeg, who probably shouldn't have played this season and elected for surgery sooner. This is a far cry from Gaudreau or Brodie finding you in open ice.

Bennett is a complete player. A very good centre. He is very much a PPG talent grossly underutilized and misutilized. Look at Brayden Schenn in PHI... that is exactly what we are doing to Sam. Schenn looks like the best center in the league this year while Crosby is slumping.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Mucker

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Bennett is a complete player. A very good centre. He is very much a PPG talent grossly underutilized and misutilized. Look at Brayden Schenn in PHI... that is exactly what we are doing to Sam. Schenn looks like the best center in the league this year while Crosby is slumping.

Schenn had seasons of 41-47-59-55 points before this season, how is that comparable to Bennett?

Sidney Crosby is over a PPG what a horrible slump that bum is in.

Reactions: Skobel24

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'll eat my left testicle if Schenn ever repeats the season he's currently having. I like Schenn, I wanted Calgary to acquire him (as I thought he'd fit the RW well), but I seriously doubt he can keep these numbers up in the long haul. He's a 50-60 point guy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It’s great for the Flames that Bennett has been turning it on. I’m also personally really happy for Sam, himself. It’s really difficult hearing so many people pile on a guy that has that much talent and is such a good kid. Hopefully he can continue to play with consistency for the rest of the season.

How has he played overall in the last 3 games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->