GDT: Flames at Habs: wherein the hockey gods make it up to us (5:30pm on SNW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Couldn't watch tonight but Johnny plays that way when he's worn out/beat down from a hard effort the night before. When he's tired it shows in low percentage passes and flubs he normally doesn't make when he's on. He'll snap out of it just like when nothing could go wrong 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Haha, that I won't argue, it is shocking to me sometimes at this level how so many players can't make a standard pass, Johhny has a deft touch, that is for sure.
On that play it isn't so much the pass, I think. To be able to make that pass you need to have the room, and that's all down to the presence on the puck that forces the defence to respect his ability to quickly make a play if they over-commit to one of his options there.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Brodie finished the night with 27 minutes and Kulak with 11 and a half TOI.

Anyway if we could stay this defensively solid in the upcoming 4-pointer against Vancouver we should be fine.

Reactions: Sk8M8

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
3/4 points in a back to back, nice!
I'd say Rittich earned a start in next weeks back to back as well with tonights performance, apart from the first goal against guy was solid all night.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Anyway if we could stay this defensively solid in the upcoming 4-pointer against Vancouver we should be fine.

Hamonic was the worst dman by far tonight....I dont remember too many mistake for the others

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
You know who really played a good game today?

Troy Brouwer

Got us a nice 5 on 3 powerplay with his telekinetic powers but sadly he’s only able to use those once a game as it’s limit is set by how many good plays he makes minus the bad ones. Which in this game was like a solid one good play not cancelled out. Now he usually uses that one mind trick on his coaches, GM and fellow players to make him look useful, so they give him more ice time. Unfortunately for him, he gets worse each game practically which lessens the chances of a good play which means no mind trickery.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
On that play it isn't so much the pass, I think. To be able to make that pass you need to have the room, and that's all down to the presence on the puck that forces the defence to respect his ability to quickly make a play if they over-commit to one of his options there.
Yep, teams have to respect Johhny, he earns that space with how crafty he is.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Can we play all our games on the road? We play so much better on the road than at home.

We really need to win this Vancouver game on Saturday. We already blew one against them last month where we outplayed them like crazy but forgot to defense.

They're also missing Bo "the next Wayne Gretzky" Horvat for the next 6 weeks. Time to run them into the ground where they deserve to be.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just to finished listening to the John Shannon interview. Johnny Gooo-dreau???? Have I been pronouncing Johnny's name incorrectly for the past 4 years??

Reactions: WeegarUnderwood

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just to finished listening to the John Shannon interview. Johnny Gooo-dreau???? Have I been pronouncing Johnny's name incorrectly for the past 4 years??
No. Johnny's own family pronounces it incorrectly. Shannon is pronouncing it the way that his family apparently pronounces it.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Brodie's been better the last few games.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Not even that man. People continue to label this dude as average.
As I said in the main board thread, since Monahan entered the league, among centermen he is 6th in goals, 18th in points, 4th in game winning goals and tied for 1st in overtime goals. To me that is not just a #1C, but a clutch #1C. Not to mention he see the play well enough and is adept enough at passing to make sure that defenses can't just defend the shot.

Reactions: King In The North

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
As I said in the main board thread, since Monahan entered the league, among centermen he is 6th in goals, 18th in points, 4th in game winning goals and tied for 1st in overtime goals. To me that is not just a #1C, but a clutch #1C. Not to mention he see the play well enough and is adept enough at passing to make sure that defenses can't just defend the shot.
I thought he was just a lowly 3rd line winger? Get out of here with your facts and stats.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hathaway rocks. I like that dude.

He has done a better job of keeping his energy consistent this time up.

In the past I found he was really up and down with some peaks but too many "valleys" as well.

I don't think he will ever contribute offensively but he has looked a lot better this year and could be a good option on the 4th line full time.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
He has done a better job of keeping his energy consistent this time up.

In the past I found he was really up and down with some peaks but too many "valleys" as well.

I don't think he will ever contribute offensively but he has looked a lot better this year and could be a good option on the 4th line full time.

Yep, I think he's a good option now for a full time 4th line job.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell

Your description of his development was spot on. He wasn't without his struggles but I really like where he is now and pretty confident he'll grow into a 2-way #1C.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
17 goals and nobody is talking about him outside of Calgary. Boring Sean Monahan is truly boring.

Best clutch goal scorer this team has had in a long time. There are still parts in his game I’d love to see continue to develop but he’s on the path of being considered a top centre.

I still think at times he’s still the Robin to Johnny’s Batman, once he realizes that he’s a huge dude and can use reach/body better defensively, in transition and in the offensive zone; we will have that top line C we’ve needed since forever.

Also props to Bennett who is now at 10 in 13, while also generating at least 2-4 good scoring chances a game. Really think his game has taken the right turn. Hoping he can finish the season at about 45-50 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->