Rumor: Flames as league "banker"

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Take cap dump and prospect/pick, make cap floor. Give next to nothing. Burkie talked about this. Imlove the idea. Get someone like Dany Heatley. High cap, low skill, expiering contract. Make the floor without compromising Eichel or McDavid

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I could see a few teams seriously talking to Calgary at the draft. He's managed to pull off a few good "banking" trades in the past which netted him picks... lets hope that continues this offseason!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
IMO, we really missed our opportunity to do this on the deadline that just passed. The cap will be going up (although maybe not as much as we thought), but teams will have more room. One guy I could see Burke getting would be Franson. We could also pay him a very nice salary.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
IMO, we really missed our opportunity to do this on the deadline that just passed. The cap will be going up (although maybe not as much as we thought), but teams will have more room. One guy I could see Burke getting would be Franson. We could also pay him a very nice salary.

I agree. Besides, what banking services can the Flames offer that no other team can offer with a rising cap. Burke needs to worry about the floor and rebuilding properly. Let the other teams handcuff themselves, since they're our competitors

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I'm skeptical about this this. One thing that the Flames have going for them is that they have very few bad contracts. The ultimate goal should be to have no bad contracts. If another team makes a bad signing, let them deal with the problem.

I still can't believe the Panthers took Luongos contract. I don't want to see the Flames bail out an idiot GM the way the Panthers did.

Look at the Canadians. They got Vanek for cheap. Vanek is being paid by the Sabres AND the Islanders. Great for the Canadians, bad for the Islaners and Sabres. Don't sell cap space. It's not worth it. When the Flames get good they can buy cap space.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Burke said he had a deal like this lined up at the deadline, but it was setting up to be a 3-way trade and it was the other GM's job to convince the third guy. He wasn't able to and the deal fell through.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I'm skeptical about this this. One thing that the Flames have going for them is that they have very few bad contracts. The ultimate goal should be to have no bad contracts. If another team makes a bad signing, let them deal with the problem.

I still can't believe the Panthers took Luongos contract. I don't want to see the Flames bail out an idiot GM the way the Panthers did.

Look at the Canadians. They got Vanek for cheap. Vanek is being paid by the Sabres AND the Islanders. Great for the Canadians, bad for the Islaners and Sabres. Don't sell cap space. It's not worth it. When the Flames get good they can buy cap space.

No one is saying the Flames should take on long term poor value contracts, but if there's a guy underperforming his cap hit with a year or two left on the deal, there's nothing for the Flames to lose except a few dollars on ownership's part. They can still extract good value on it, potentially.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Burke said he had a deal like this lined up at the deadline, but it was setting up to be a 3-way trade and it was the other GM's job to convince the third guy. He wasn't able to and the deal fell through.

I heard Cammy was apart of that as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad