GDT: FLAMES (25-18-10) @ SENATORS (24-24-3) | 5:30 p.m. MT | TV: Sportsnet | RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Coming in peace - I checked the score with just over 3 min left and figured no chance. Stunned to see result. Seems like Stutzle willed it to happen - in on all 4 goals. So just want to correct that he is not a 3rd stringer. Much of our team is, but this is his second 4pt game in past 3 games.
he meant your goalie

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I'm not sure how you can spin this as not being on Markstrom, but someone will try.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
I'm not sure how you can spin this as not being on Markstrom, but someone will try.
No doubt. Teams will push late. It's on the goalie to at least make 1 of those saves preferably 2.

I'm actually somewhat shocked. Shouldn't be but felt like a good team effort in a 3-1 win. My goodness. Well the good news is Vladar wins for us Thurs & Sat.

OR ELSE.

Reactions: Dertell

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Markstrom is terrible. I used to think he was too good to tank with now not so sure. The scary thing is Vladar is not much better and certainly not a solution if we want play-offs.

Hopefully the team realizes it’s time to sell and rebuild.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Markstrom is terrible. I used to think he was too good to tank with now not so sure. The scary thing is Vladar is not much better and certainly not a solution if we want play-offs.

Vlad is so much better is not even close. Vlad can cave when we lead big, markstrom caves when he gets out of bed

Reactions: Tofveve

Deen

Feb 19, 2010

Sell what though?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Next year is the year we could sell off nicely, this year is for the captain to sink or swim with the ship (and just add a bottom pair dman)

Puk44

May 7, 2022
If Vladar was in on half of the defeats that Markstrom had, and the Flames won half of those games, they would be third on the division.

Not looking at particular goalie stats or anything, but seems so obvious that Flames could be in a better position if not Sutter stubbornness on keep putting Markstrom in.
And it's so obvious that, at this point, it's not the bad choices on the lines or the players Sutter picks to play, it's not the weak powerplay or the weak percentage of wins in OT the main factors to the performance of this season.
No, the main the reason is the performance of Markstrom, and it's been ridiculous just watch this over and over again, and watch a season being thrown to the garbage, just because Sutter insists on something that everybody already saw that simply not going to work. At least, for now...

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Vlad is so much better is not even close. Vlad can cave when we lead big, markstrom caves when he gets out of bed

Better? Maybe So much better? Not a chance

And the problem is he is better than a goalie playing terribly not actually good himself in terms of both the eye test and the stats.

Sell what though?

Everything and anything.

Not a single player worth keeping and many that should go even the the return is basically nothing. We have so much deadwood to move out I would start now or people will claim there is too much to move out in one summer.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Better? Maybe So much better? Not a chance

And the problem is he is better than a goalie playing terribly not actually good himself in terms of both the eye test and the stats.

Everything and anything.

Not a single player worth keeping and many that should go even the the return is basically nothing. We have so much deadwood to move out I would start now or people will claim there is too much to move out in one summer.
He's significantly better this year, in stats, wins, eye test and plays against significantly better opponents

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Even Eric Francis (in today's SN column) is finally calling for it to be official, for Vlad to take over the reins from Markstrom. I'd say it's pretty obvious and about time at this point.

Reactions: Boomstick

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's bad coaching, honestly, and yes, I keep coming back to it. Markstrom is broken - we all see it - and we all know he's the biggest issue with the roster. We have a backup who's winning games. Play him.

Apparently - The team "ran out of gas" yet not only did Darryl not call a timeout but he elected to keep the same line on the ice after just getting scored on.

Also enough of the fourth line being out there in critical junctions of the game. They had a shift late that turned the momentum of the game.

The 4th line since Lucic was put on it 6 games ago has been outscored 0-3, has an xGF% of 34.77%, and HDCF% of 26.32%. The guy kills every line he's put on. Get him out of the lineup and keep him out. Enough is enough. The fact he's playing ahead of Ruzicka is a god damn crime.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's bad coaching, honestly, and yes, I keep coming back to it. Markstrom is broken - we all see it - and we all know he's the biggest issue with the roster. We have a backup who's winning games. Play him.

Apparently - The team "ran out of gas" yet not only did Darryl not call a timeout but he elected to keep the same line on the ice after just getting scored on.

Also enough of the fourth line being out there in critical junctions of the game. They had a shift late that turned the momentum of the game.

The 4th line since Lucic was put on it 6 games ago has been outscored 0-3, has an xGF% of 34.77%, and HDCF% of 26.32%. The guy kills every line he's put on. Get him out of the lineup and keep him out. Enough is enough. The fact he's playing ahead of Ruzicka is a god damn crime.

Dude stop spilling facts! Lucic has that big 6’3 body, that’s all we care about!!!!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West

Well said

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I went to the bar last night to watch this and at one point they switched all the TVs to the Brooklyn Nets game. I did not protest, though I did buy multiple shots of Appleton Estate.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Who’s with me? It’s justifiable

I have some bats and ski masks lying around. Maybe I'll bake some cookies and whip up some sandwiches and we'll make a day of it. The front office might need some proper high explosive.

I had you early in the season as beasts in the west still time to turn it around but that loss was disturbing.

We've lost to the Blackhawks x2, Canadiens x2, the Blue Jackets and needed OT to get past the BJs the other game and the Ducks. Very nearly blew a 5 goal lead to the Stars in one period.

Loss was pretty Standard fare for this group.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
We've lost to the Blackhawks x2, Canadiens x2, the Blue Jackets and needed OT to get past the BJs the other game and the Ducks. Very nearly blew a 5 goal lead to the Stars in one period.
That's at least 10 points squandered if you add in the Devils and Red Wings games. Would put the Flames #1 in the west had they won all of those as would be expected, and a good number of those were one goal games.

I hate to sound optimistic (and don't you dare start a thread about being optimistic) but maybe they are only one or two pieces away from being a legit threat?

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Unless that "piece" is a full frontal lobotomy for Sutter or a new coach that isn't going to keep playing Markstrom & Lucic, then no.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I hate to sound optimistic (and don't you dare start a thread about being optimistic) but maybe they are only one or two pieces away from being a legit threat?
I agree. They have been dominating but same old story, not enough sniping ability, and markstrom's sv% has killed them so yes they need another legit star on forward. A guy with efficiency, and chance creation. Easily acquired ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad