HF Habs: Flames or Panthers 1st Round Pick 2025

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I agree with you based on their recent history, which is why I said “some” of the listed assets. I don’t think they will do a scorched earth rebuild, but i think it’s pretty clear (at least to me) that as a management team they haven’t picked a true direction yet either.
The thing is if they are not doing a scorched earth rebuild they might draft 11th-12th. I mean we are rebuilding with very few vets and lot of injuries and we were only 8 points away from drafting 11th so with Dach healthy we would have been very close. I think people are way to quick to assume they'll draft top 10. They'll be out of the playoffs no doubt but i could see them drafting between 11th and 15th without too much troubles.

If Calgary has a top 5 and Florida miss at 15, Calgary will try to push a trade for Florida's pick. It could be easy, since Florida has no interest in Habs getting better.

Edit: Yeah I know, that's next level.
Don't think so if that pick gets delayed to 2026 then it's not protected at all. Beside Florida wont miss the playoffs.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The thing is if they are not doing a scorched earth rebuild they might draft 11th-12th. I mean we are rebuilding with very few vets and lot of injuries and we were only 8 points away from drafting 11th so with Dach healthy we would have been very close. I think people are way to quick to assume they'll draft top 10. They'll be out of the playoffs no doubt but i could see them drafting between 11th and 15th without too much troubles.

Don't think so if that pick gets delayed to 2026 then it's not protected at all. Beside Florida wont miss the playoffs.

If you were their GM and you knew, as you say, "without a doubt" you would be out of the playoffs, and that you would lose your 1st round pick between 11 and 16 heading into a rebuild, would you not jump start the rebuild to ensure you a) don't stay in no man's land, and b) don't lose that 1st?

The Shsrks and Blackhawks have proven, if you want to finish at the bottom, you can make moves to make that happen. But yes, we'll see this summer if Flames management make that happen. It will be very interesting to follow their moves. They've already shipped out Hanafin, Tanev, Zadorov, Lindholm, and Toffoli (though they got a good player in return).

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
If you were their GM and you knew, as you say, "without a doubt" you would be out of the playoffs, and that you would lose your 1st round pick between 11 and 16 heading into a rebuild, would you not jump start the rebuild to ensure you a) don't stay in no man's land, and b) don't lose that 1st?

The Shsrks and Blackhawks have proven, if you want to finish at the bottom, you can make moves to make that happen. But yes, we'll see this summer if Flames management make that happen. It will be very interesting to follow their moves. They've already shipped out Hanafin, Tanev, Zadorov, Lindholm, and Toffoli (though they got a good player in return).
The Blackhawks didn't finish at the bottom. They weren't even in bottom 2 when they won the lottery to get Bedard. They had dumb luck on their side (pun intended).

Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Blackhawks didn't finish at the bottom. They weren't even in bottom 2 when they won the lottery to get Bedard. They had dumb luck on their side (pun intended).

By the bottom I meant bottom 10, bottom 5, bottom 3. Whatever number you want to pit on it, it may be hard to finish dead last. But you can finish bottom 10 if you're a GM and you want to.

Reactions: CDN24

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
If the Flames AND the Panthers are top 10 pick and the Flames win the lottery next year, I think we get an unprotected Calgary 2026 1st + a 3rd.

McKenna, anyone? ;)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Rebuilding is not the GM decision in almost every case. It's the president / owner decision. And i'm not sure Calgary's owner will be ready for a full rebuid yet with the money he invested 2 years ago.

Reactions: bopeep and Kimota

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Rebuilding is not the GM decision in almost every case. It's the president / owner decision. And i'm not sure Calgary's owner will be ready for a full rebuid yet with the money he invested 2 years ago.

We're lucky in Montreal. I'm not sure most would have predicted that our rebuild would be so embarrassed by the fans. For example, the podcasts by Marinaro and others, in Fremch and in English, are often the ones that talk about the draft and the prospects. People are excited for not only the future, bit also following what the team is doing now to prepare for it.

I just don't know if the Calgary fan base would be the same way. I even think Molson didn't expect a rebuild to be so enthusiastically followed and not hurt his bottom line too much, I'm assuming.

Reactions: bopeep

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
We're lucky in Montreal. I'm not sure most would have predicted that our rebuild would be so embarrassed by the fans. For example, the podcasts by Marinaro and others, in Fremch and in English, are often the ones that talk about the draft and the prospects. People are excited for not only the future, bit also following what the team is doing now to prepare for it.

I just don't know if the Calgary fan base would be the same way. I even think Molson didn't expect a rebuild to be so enthusiastically followed and not hurt his bottom line too much, I'm assuming.
I think what facilitated a rebuild here is Weber and Price LTIRetiring. Rebuilding with Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom, Backlund, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Magiapane and Sharangovich all under contract for next season will be a hard sell to fans imo. I could see them trying to retool on the fly.

Reactions: CDN24 and Kimota

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think what facilitated a rebuild here is Weber and Price LTIRetiring. Rebuilding with Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar, Rasmus Andersson, Markstrom, Backlund, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Magiapane and Sharangovich all under contract for next season will be a hard sell to fans imo. I could see them trying to retool on the fly.
Yeah I suppose they could decide to give one or two last Bergevin tries to get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

Ultimately it will be an interesting offseason to follow. A lot is at stake for our 1st. Even if they move Markstrom, they're not necessarily going in a rebuild direction. But then if they move Andersson or Weeger for futures that would be telling.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

Considering the Habs haven’t won a cup since 93, had a first overall pick since 1980, haven’t had a 40 goal scorer or ppg player in decades, haven’t had a rookie of the year winner since Dryden(?), I’d say it was pretty obvious the fans were ready for a proper rebuild. I’m so thankful the “just make the playoffs and see” attitude is over. I’d gladly put up with 3,4 years of no playoffs if they develop and rebuild to make them competitive and exciting.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The rebuild started earlier with draft pick power increase. Gorton/Hughes just accelerated it. Fans/Media are open to it because of misery with Bergerin's ability to rebuild properly. We are also open to it because even with our rebuild, the product on the ice is still entertaining to watch with Suzuki and Caufield.

2 of our biggest pieces comes before the true rebuild. That's not something to throw under the rug because we didn't like Beregevin.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Considering the Habs haven’t won a cup since 93, had a first overall pick since 1980, haven’t had a 40 goal scorer or ppg player in decades, haven’t had a rookie of the year winner since Dryden(?), I’d say it was pretty obvious the fans were ready for a proper rebuild. I’m so thankful the “just make the playoffs and see” attitude is over. I’d gladly put up with 3,4 years of no playoffs if they develop and rebuild to make them competitive and exciting.
Lots of fans still have the lets make the playoffs and see what happens attitude, they were good with a year or two of rebuild but that's it.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'd expect a pick from 18-25 range. Panthers should be a playoff team again but they will have a fair amount of roster turnover and depth issues after they try to extend both Reinhart and Montour who are two big pieces.
I think they're just going to let Montour walk. If they extend Reinhart at 9.25, Lundell at 3.25, OEL at 3, and Kulikov (or any other generic depth D) at 1.75, that leaves them with about 2.2M to sign 3 bottom six forwards. Don't think they'll have much trouble moving Rodrigues to make that work, or they could just buy Knight's contract out which would free up an additional 3.75 and give them 6M in space to sign a backup and 3 or 4 forwards.

Florida also has the benefit of knowing they'll be a prime destination for all the old guys who are willing to take 1 year deals at a million bucks as well so they shouldn't have any issues filling in the bottom of their lineup with decent players.
Their main pieces are almost unsellable. Nobody will take Hubeardeau's contract. Even Kadri is a hard sell becasue of the number of years remaining.
Yep, the Flames have been extremely reluctant to ever do a full scorched earth rebuild even when they have guys to trade, but there just aren't that many guys they can move, and the ones who could conceivably have trade value like Mangiapane and Kuzmenko still have another year so they may not want to trade them in the first place. They also might end up running a Markstrom/Wolf tandem next year which should help them stay fairly competitive, and they have 19M in space this summer with a nearly full lineup already locked in. I could easily see them being a team that goes out and throws 5.5M at Skjei and 7M at Teravainen or something.

Reactions: LaP

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Molson definitely wouldn't have wanted a rebuild if there just wasn't no other way out of the mess Bergevin left.

Reactions: LaP

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Lots of fans still have the lets make the playoffs and see what happens attitude, they were good with a year or two of rebuild but that's it.
Never going to get anywhere with that. Picking up vets and plugging holes every year and never acquiring elite talent. Montreal was always the place where talent went to die. I’m so glad there’s a plan now.

The rebuild started earlier with draft pick power increase. Gorton/Hughes just accelerated it. Fans/Media are open to it because of misery with Bergerin's ability to rebuild properly. We are also open to it because even with our rebuild, the product on the ice is still entertaining to watch with Suzuki and Caufield.

2 of our biggest pieces comes before the true rebuild. That's not something to throw under the rug because we didn't like Beregevin.
You’re right, but would they be thriving under the old regime? I have my doubts.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think they're just going to let Montour walk. If they extend Reinhart at 9.25, Lundell at 3.25, ....
I have a secret hope that Hughes targets Lundell for a Newhook type trade with the Winnipeg 1st, PIT 2nd and a young, cheap D. Florida is going to be up against the cap and will have to make tough decisions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You’re right, but would they be thriving under the old regime? I have my doubts.

Bergevin's days were numbered but whenever a new GM comes in, they always inherit the good parts and I don't throw that under the rug. Gorton/Hughes are just doing a better job at the long game strategy

The rebuild was welcomed due to a combo of..
* Frustration with Bergevin not rebuilding properly
* Suzuki/Caufield still on the ice and many other youth to keep fans in the seats during the Gorton/Hughes rebuild

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad