GDT: flacar

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
My biggest surprise was that Florida didn't score late in the first. Well, that and our whipping boy having his best overall game of the season. Even ignoring the goal, he looked like... dare I say... an NHL player.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The pp is all about the entry and the offensive zone faceoff. One we are set up I don't think we're that bad. Too many times we lost possession early even if we won the draw, and then once we had to re enter it would take the rest of the pp to set it up. Multiple pp's in the first half of the game seemed like we spent maybe 20 seconds or less with it set up.

We end up with one forced chance at the end and being overly critical that the one or two plays didn't work. The ones where we spend at least half the time set up and working it, I thought we looked great. Improved chemistry, creativity. We need better one timers from forwards but other than that I think we're close, if we can just take the zone and set up as easily as everyone else does.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Moving Hanifin to the “top” PP unitbmade it flow better. It never made sense to have that be the bombs away unit with Faulk. That one should be tic tac toe with Jordan taking up space in the middle. Hanifin is more well suited for that.

The 2nd unit having Faulk up top makes it more palatable for Skinner to be around the net instead of having to be a one timer trigger man which he has never been particularly good at.

But yeah, they need to actually establish possession first which is a chore for them.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the league has figured out our little drop pass trick on the zone entry for the PP. they don't even take the first puck carrier all that seriously because they know he's going to opt back to the defenseman with speed coming through the middle. it might be time to mix it up. they're stacking the line and congesting those lanes. as cringeworthy as it is, the way to beat that is dump and chase. but that requires work.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
the league has figured out our little drop pass trick on the zone entry for the PP. they don't even take the first puck carrier all that seriously because they know he's going to opt back to the defenseman with speed coming through the middle. it might be time to mix it up. they're stacking the line and congesting those lanes. as cringeworthy as it is, the way to beat that is dump and chase. but that requires work.

It's not our little drop pass. Every team I watch does it. The other night in the Leafs vs. Vegas game, both teams did it almost every time on the PP and the announcer even called it a bump back pass.

I agree with what you said though, because we lack skill, teams just clog it up at the blue line and cause a turnover.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
5v5:
Fleury - 8 GF vs 2 GA (+6)
Faulk - 10 GF vs 8 GA (+2)
Slavin - 9 GF vs 9 GA (0)
TVR - 5 GF vs 5 GA (0)
Pesce - 9 GF vs 10 GA (-1)
Hanifin - 4 GF vs 11 GA (-7)

I guess Hanifin has just been super unlucky then. Always on the ice when Faulk, Pesce, TVR, or Dahlbeck making mistakes.

The good news is that everything indicates a regression to the Corsi mean. If Hanifin is consistently top-10 in CF% then the fruit of that will bear out eventually.

Update since the FLA game for 5v5 stats:

Fluery - 9 GF vs 3 GA
Faulk - 12 GF vs 9 GA
Slavin - 11 GF vs 11 GA
Pesce 11 GF vs 11 GA
TVR - 10 GF vs 6 GA
Hanifin - 12 GF vs. 11 GA

Hanifin has been on the ice for 8 straight 5v5 Goals For. The TVR pair is apparently working very well. TVR is 5 GF vs 1 GA over the past week. Hanifin also now #2 in the NHL for Corsi +/- at +105.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad