Confirmed Trade: [FLA/PIT] Bjugstad & McCann for Brassard, Sheahan, 2nd 2019, 4th 2019, 4th 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would actually argue that he’s too big for his game, honestly. He’s a really easy pocket to pick. He’s easy to separate from the puck. He’s not very strong... he can protect the puck well until he gets driven into a corner.

In regards to his supposed offense, he goes in streaks. Sometimes he’s just not there. At all.

I think he far better fits Pittsburgh than Florida. Florida has a logjam if players for his position who can all play the role the same or better. This allows them a little more flexibility.

The McCann thing is the same deal, though I don’t think Florida should’ve traded him just yet.

We watched Brandon Sutter act like a deer in the headlights when it comes to board work. Bjugstad looks like Lindros compared to him.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This trade is a win for Pittsburgh
So far, but come July 1 its likely gonna be a win for Florida too.

Pens get two 26-and-under guys who are performing and fit long term (my only worry is about getting McCann extended). And Florida gets Panarin and probably Bob.

Bjug is getting the job done in Pitt, and McCann has been a revelation. But clearly at least the former was never going to blossom like that in Fla. I just wish these kinds of underperformed-for-underperformer swaps happened more often in the NHL

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I think it was a good trade for both teams. McCann was inconsistent but showed promise from time to time. Good to see him doing well. Too many sold him short despite his age and limited playing time. However, Our top 6 is stacked and our 3C role is more likely to become Borgstrom’s. We also have Tippet and Hepo in the pipeline who may be close to NHL roles.

Bjugstad is a good example of a player taking advantage of a fresh start. He absolutely needed a change of scenery.

Florida gets cap spaces and picks. If they make a big splash this offseason it will look even better for them.

It’s a win win.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think it was a good trade for both teams. McCann was inconsistent but showed promise from time to time. Good to see him doing well. Too many sold him short despite his age and limited playing time. However, Our top 6 is stacked and our 3C role is more likely to become Borgstrom’s. We also have Tippet and Hepo in the pipeline who may be close to NHL roles.

Bjugstad is a good example of a player taking advantage of a fresh start. He absolutely needed a change of scenery.

Florida gets cap spaces and picks. If they make a big splash this offseason it will look even better for them.

It’s a win win.

I'm hoping they stick with McCann at wing and Bjugstad at centre moving forward, they've both looked best in those roles. Though the flexibility is a nice thing to have.

RichBaster

Feb 18, 2015
Are the Panthers still talking about re-signing Sheahan? I'm assuming not at that current cap hit though if yes. That could change how this trade is perceived as well as then it wasn't all cap dumps for FL.

Also with what I see from the stats, the need for Bobrovsky seems muted now with how Montembeault has been playing that they could focus on other areas of need. They can take the money they were gonna throw at Bob & Panarin and just resign Hoffman and Dadonov and trade for a top 4 d-man with all that cash.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Are the Panthers still talking about re-signing Sheahan? I'm assuming not at that current cap hit though if yes. That could change how this trade is perceived as well as then it wasn't all cap dumps for FL.

Also with what I see from the stats, the need for Bobrovsky seems muted now with how Montembeault has been playing that they could focus on other areas of need. They can take the money they were gonna throw at Bob & Panarin and just resign Hoffman and Dadonov and trade for a top 4 d-man with all that cash.

Tallon has stated he's interested in re-signing Sheahan, I even wanted him here when he was having the zero stat line in DET. He's an ideal 4C and with our tax savings, a 2yr deal at $1.75 million might be enough? He hasn't really had an amazing season to command anything longer than 2 years imo.

Our Center depth would be Barkov, Trocheck, Borgstrom and Sheahan. That's pretty solid if Tro bounces back next year and Borgstrom continues to develop/improve.

The Bobrovsky debate is in full force on the FLA threads. I'm on board with signing him if it's max 6 years. Even then the way management are talking about Montembeault, some feel he may only need another 2 years as backup before he's ready for 45+ games.

We'd have the space to sign both Bob and Panarin for $20 million combined, add a top RD who's under $6 million (Manson/Trouba) and sign our RFA's while extending one of Hoffman or Dadonov but guys like Pysyk, Sceviour, Reimer and Luongo's caphits would need to be moved.
Luongo can always have "off-season surgery" and go on LTIR and if Montembeault stumbles, Lu would become "healthy" and backup Bob for one year. Reimer is as good as gone, just need to attach a couple mid round picks to him and wish him well.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tallon has stated he's interested in re-signing Sheahan, I even wanted him here when he was having the zero stat line in DET. He's an ideal 4C and with our tax savings, a 2yr deal at $1.75 million might be enough? He hasn't really had an amazing season to command anything longer than 2 years imo.

What's interesting is that the Penguins actually offered Sheahan a multi-year extension last off-season, but he opted for a 1 year deal instead. The offer was probably something like 2-3 years at $2.25-$2.75 million a year, and he thought he could get more by taking a 1 year deal to show last year wasn't a fluke. That gamble backfired for reasons that weren't only his play, though, so I'm not sure I'd criticize him for making that gamble.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What's interesting is that the Penguins actually offered Sheahan a multi-year extension last off-season, but he opted for a 1 year deal instead. The offer was probably something like 2-3 years at $2.25-$2.75 million a year, and he thought he could get more by taking a 1 year deal to show last year wasn't a fluke. That gamble backfired for reasons that weren't only his play, though, so I'm not sure I'd criticize him for making that gamble.

Interesting tactic and one most average bottom 6 players probably have a tough time deciding on. Feel he should have accepted the 2 year deal and prayed PIT won another Cup so then he could command a "cup winning/veteran presence" contract. His first year was great for you guys, but his 2nd was meh, the opposite of what you want in a contract year.

He fits in well here and is very noticeable in the dirty areas and has decent ability to set up offense in limited minutes. Just has switched from a goal scorer for you guys to a playmaker here, had 7g/9pts in 49 games for you and already has 1g/8pts in 22 games for us.

Glad McCann is showing up, I liked his play but Borgstrom was just the better option longterm (cap consideration, ELC for one more year and likely to get a similar McCann bridge after while McCann is a year away from a hefty raise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad