Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] D Niko Mikkola signs with the Panthers (3 years, $2.5M AAV)

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
Our defense being so banged up after the playoffs I was really worried about how things would turn out. On top of that losing Gudas to FA meant we had to replace 2/3 of our D core.
Right now looks like it has been a blessing in disguise. OEL and Mikkola have both looked really good and certainly exceeded my expectations.
Kulikov also has progressively getting better. also Uvis has been effective while trying to adjust to NA hockey, I see Mahura and Uvis out of the line-up when everybody gets back, Reilly us another that needs a few games to gel, we are going to need them down the road and all them are good skaters.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Glad to see Mikkola doing well. He and Schneider were excellent as the 3d pair in Gallant's structure free defensive system last year.

Have seen some Rangers fan sour on Schneider? Was hoping FLA was interested in him during that draft.

Surprised at how mobile Mikkola is for his size, he will join the rush or pinch deep if opportunities arise.
Made some real nice defensive plays of late and may keep his 2nd pair role when Ekblad comes back or he could gel with Montour as well.

If he can play like this for the next few years, Zito has hit another homerun IMO.

Speaks more to the quality of the defense that the Panthers ice than the player IMO.

Should be at full strength for the upcoming thrashing the Leafs will unleash on the Panthers on November 28th. Will you be in attendance?

Reactions: Laus723

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
Kulikov also has progressively getting better. also Uvis has been effective while trying to adjust to NA hockey, I see Mahura and Uvis out of the line-up when everybody gets back, Reilly us another that needs a few games to gel, we are going to need them down the road and all them are good skaters.
Things are actually looking good at this point. They've made it work and there's no pressure to rush Ek and Monty to the lineup.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Have seen some Rangers fan sour on Schneider? Was hoping FLA was interested in him during that draft.

Surprised at how mobile Mikkola is for his size, he will join the rush or pinch deep if opportunities arise.
Made some real nice defensive plays of late and may keep his 2nd pair role when Ekblad comes back or he could gel with Montour as well.

If he can play like this for the next few years, Zito has hit another homerun IMO.

Should be at full strength for the upcoming thrashing the Leafs will unleash on the Panthers on November 28th. Will you be in attendance?

don't think anyone's soured on schneider....i'm sure there's someone out there who doesn't like him but not broadly speaking. he struggled a bit with the new system, he's been fine this year. really upped his physicality lately throwing some big hits.

did love mikkola though, wish we'd had the space to retain him. like you said, he's got great mobility at that size and brings a lot more than i was expecting overall. is also a guy thats beloved in the locker room everywhere he goes.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
What exactly is it you think you’re saying here?
It’s alot of crying and whining. With a nice juicy side of embarrassment for all the shit he talked before our series

What all they got in that swamp water down Florida way lately? All these random defencemen just go there and break out to the absolute far and away best years of their careers, or have some sort of revival when they're half a century old or whatever. It's kind of annoying.
I wish I could say lol. We’re not complaining though.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
What all they got in that swamp water down Florida way lately? All these random defencemen just go there and break out to the absolute far and away best years of their careers, or have some sort of revival when they're half a century old or whatever. It's kind of annoying.
Lol. The Panthers pro scouts and Bill Zito have done a great job finding players that will fit in the system and need a fresh start on a budget friendly contract. The locker room is great and coaching is good so new guys feel comfortable pretty quickly. To be fair, most of the guys they brought in recently are about the same age, 27 to 30.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Two4Fighting

Oct 17, 2007
It never Used to be like this, it all started with Zito, he has been excellent for Florida, the scouting is off the charts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad