Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Last edited:
Reactions: AndreRoy

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Ekblad seems to be out for the season and Florida need a Top4D RD badly for playoffs. Buffalo has mailed it in.

FLA get:

RD Rasmus Ristolainen 5,4M UFA 2022

BUF get:

C Aleksi Heponiemi RFA 2022
- 2nd 2021
-3rd 2022

Buffalo shed salary and get a C-prospect + picks. Florida get a big, nasty D for playoffs. Ristolainen was actually pretty good before covid hit and would probably be a better fit on FLA.

LOL...No from Buffalo.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
I know exactly what I said "Ristolainen is not a top 4 dman... he's a 2nd pairing dman,"

To me, "Top 4 dman" indicates he’s also capable-of/serviceable-as playing on the first pairing. Ristolainen is not... he's, at best, a 2nd pairing dman.
Typically how it goes

Top pair dman is self explanatory

Top 4 dman indicates a dman on either of the the top two pairs. There’s two defensemen on each pairs, hence the top 4.

Top 6 dman indicates a guy who can play on the 3rd pair

Reactions: I am not exposed

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don't think Risto or anyone from Buf is really able to push play like Ekblad.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Typically how it goes

Top pair dman is self explanatory

Top 4 dman indicates a dman on either of the the top two pairs. There’s two defensemen on each pairs, hence the top 4.

Top 6 dman indicates a guy who can play on the 3rd pair

I guess I just see it differently.

I think of top four as likely middle pairing guy but "serviceable" on the top pair. I would say a dman like Ristolainen is bottom 4... in other words, he should never see the top pairing, ever... if you are forced to play him on the 1st pairing, your team is in big trouble. Believe me, as an Oiler fan, I know all too well about bottom 4 dmen.

I thought I was being specific without trying to offend any Sabre fans (which I have a significant amount of empathy for right now) and just straight up call him a 2nd pairing dman.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
So, you’re saying Ristolainen is capable/serviceable as a top pairing dman. Interesting.
Number 3 I say he is. He been playing 25-30 minutes a night since he was like 20. Give him 21 minutes and a fast partner who is good on the rush at defending and he’ll excel.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
No matter how you slice it math does not lie.. A 2nd pairing dman is still a top 4 dman.. Plus he is way better than a 3rd pair dman witch is top 6 :)

If you say so... I don't see it that way when I think of a 2nd pairing dman who should never see 1st pairing minutes... but it's just a difference of thinking and I might be the only one who sees it that way. :laugh: Either way, I think we both agree that he is a 2nd pairing dman... which is what I said to begin with.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Yeah he started the season strong, but his game has fallen off quite a bit. I don't think he'll ever get past that hernia surgery. I think this is his last contract in the nhl.
He plays a ton of minutes and his +/- isn't terrible. An old school GM will give him a contract for sure.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So, you’re saying Ristolainen is capable/serviceable as a top pairing dman. Interesting.

You missed the first 10 games of the season when him and McCabe were locking everything down in a VERY impressive way. If you get Risto the right partner, he is absolutely a capable and serviceable top pairing defenseman.

COVID absolutely wrecked Risto......and Ralph's "easing" him back into game shape didn't help him much either given that he played 67 min in a 3-in-4 upon returning when he CLEARLY wasn't ready for that many minutes. He's just now starting to round back into shape.....but the team around him is a tire fire right now.

If Buffalo is trading Risto, we're getting more than the OP. Probably a 1st plus something....or the equivalent thereof.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You missed the first 10 games of the season when him and McCabe were locking everything down in a VERY impressive way. If you get Risto the right partner, he is absolutely a capable and serviceable top pairing defenseman.

COVID absolutely wrecked Risto......and Ralph's "easing" him back into game shape didn't help him much either given that he played 67 min in a 3-in-4 upon returning when he CLEARLY wasn't ready for that many minutes. He's just now starting to round back into shape.....but the team around him is a tire fire right now.

If Buffalo is trading Risto, we're getting more than the OP. Probably a 1st plus something....or the equivalent thereof.
With the expansion draft, Risto will likely only be on a contender’s team for a season so it’s not worth it given Covid! Maybe without the expansion draft the high price you suggest is feasible but

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad