OT: FLA All-Time Number Team: #2 (VOTING HAS BEEN RE-OPENED, CLOSES ON 1/27, VOTE NOW!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Hey guys, I thought I might start a new fun set of threads that's designed to go through all the numbers Panthers players have ever worn. Each thread will be a poll to decide the best player for that number. When this is all done, I'll put together a list of the Florida Panthers All-Time Number Team

Note: Some numbers only have one player, so they will represent it by default (and we won't have a thread for them), and obviously some numbers have never been worn.

We're starting off with an awfully easy one (I hope). Each poll will be open for 24 hours so have it!

Mods: at the end of each poll, each of these threads can be closed.

So far:
#1: Roberto Luongo

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Carkner.

He had four solid seasons for us at the end of his career. Big body for us on the blueline during our run in '96.

279 GP - 6 G - 40 A - 293 PIM - +12
Playoffs - 27 GP - 4 A - 16 PIM

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I bet Tomas Vokoun wouldn't choose Ballard.

I'm sure someone could make a case for Ballard. He was OK offensively, but he was an absolute :dunce: defensively. Bonehead play, after bonehead play. I just never understood his reasoning for most of his moves, including the absolutely worst play ever for any Panther:

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Also I feel like these should be public polls, and whoever votes Lance Pitlick should be forever banned from this board. :skull:

And if we were voting for greatest Panther draft pick ever who never lived up to expectations I would've voted for Krajicek too :sarcasm:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Also I feel like these should be public polls, and whoever votes Lance Pitlick should be forever banned from this board. :skull:

And if we were voting for greatest Panther draft pick ever who never lived up to expectations I would've voted for Krajicek too :sarcasm:

They are public polls. I know some of these will bring up old memories, most of them bad :laugh:

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I forgot how decent Carkner was early on the team's history. I loved Ballard's hipchecks and he wasn't terrible defensively. Vokoun may not like him so much though. I went with Carkner, but those were easily the two names that stuck out out of the bunch. Although, I remember Krajicek having semi-high expectations that never panned out.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
For some reason I keep thinking Branislav Mezei was #5?

He wasn't too bad. Big physical Dman, who couldn't skate and had 0 offensive upside.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
For some reason I keep thinking Branislav Mezei was #5?

He wasn't too bad. Big physical Dman, who couldn't skate and had 0 offensive upside.

Some players had multiple numbers, so I'm putting them up for consideration for any number they ever wore for the Panthers, unless they win a poll, then of course they aren't eligible for another one.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Oh OK. So I'm not losing it. :loony:
That's nice.

Heh yeah, Mezei wore both for the Panthers.

Branislav+Mezei+Florida+Panthers+v+Toronto+bBAG4_HaAF8l.jpg

mezei7.jpg

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
I'm going Carkner as lifelong fan (who did not have CI /even internet radio at that point) and saw very little of him live. Played steady game , Ballards sample size not big enough for the high end results fanbase expected, and to be honest I always expected more out of him and less from Carkner who was more of a blue collar type of Dmen.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
No offense to Pitlick, I voted Ballard. My phone sucks.

How to change vote? Just add for Ballard at end of thread.

#10 will suck not to vote for Booth. Not lookin fwd to it.

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
The poll for #3 would include:
Paul Laus, Karlis Skrastins, Clay Wilson, T.J. Brennan, and Steven Kampfer

So I think it's safe to say we'll skip that one as Paul Laus should win hands down, yes?

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Ballard

What I remember most about Carkner was him being a pylon. This was back when I was lucky to see 1-2 Panthers games per season

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
After people have failed to vote within the 24 hours originally set for these threads, the time has now been extended and future numbers will have a longer vote time as well.

Speak now or forever hold your peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad