Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Aaron Ekblad re-signs with Panthers (8 years, $7.500M AAV)

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
People in here saying Ekblad isn't worth 7.5 clearly have never watched Ekblad.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Hedman will want way more... He's actually a proved solid dman. Ekblad isn't fully proven yet..

He will not get more than Stamkos. Probably signs for the same than Ekblad did... maybe 0.5 per year more, but that's it.

Panthers overpaid, but Ekblad is really good and in a couple of years he will be around what they paid or even better

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
Honestly a pretty bad contract. Not because he isn't worth it but because they completely failed to get the 'steal' contract you want to get with these kind of young d-men. Hedman is on a 4 million cap hit. That's how you do it.

Like Montreal did with PK Subban? It ended up costing them a $9m cap hit by doing a bridge deal. They could have had him done at closer to ~$6.5-7m.

If Ekblad has a top 3 dman season in the next 3 years, they would have been looking at a cap hit closer to $10m. It's a gamble, just like every contract, with the team betting that the player out performs the contract and the player in this case taking the security of a long term big money deal.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'm fine with it. It will be a steal within two-three years.

They now have their two most important pieces in Ek and Barkov locked up to contracts that will ultimately be very team friendly.

Hell, I'd take Ekblad right now at 7.5 as opposed to Lundqvist at 8.5.. Or Nash at 7.8 :banghead:

Hell yeah I'd take a 20 year old over 30 year olds too :naughty:

Panthers Rock

Rebuild 10.0
Apr 17, 2006
Winter Springs, FL
Having watched him for these past 2 years, I have no doubt he is worth the contract at this point. Anything CAN happen, but he has been consistently fantastic and the best Dman on the team for some time already. He plays both ends of the ice excellently and has both the poise and IQ of a 30 year old veteran.

I highly doubt the money goes to his head at this stage, if you've ever seen him interviewed, as he's mature beyond his years. Well done, Cats!

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Really good term and money both for the Panthers and Ekblad. Love it. He's gonna win a Norris or two for sure before this contract ends. Already a stud.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
He will not get more than Stamkos. Probably signs for the same than Ekblad did... maybe 0.5 per year more, but that's it.

Panthers overpaid, but Ekblad is really good and in a couple of years he will be around what they paid or even better

Hedman can easily get 10+ if he goes to free agency. Tons of teams would offer that next summer.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
If he continues to develop well, this deal is going to be an absolute steal in 3-4 years.

Some risk, but good for both sides.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
People in here saying Ekblad isn't worth 7.5 clearly have never watched Ekblad.

Is he worth 7.5 now? No. Could he be worth 7.5 in the future? Certainly, he could be worth more. Personally I don't see the potential that everyone else sees. I think most are blown back by what he has done at such a young age, and while that is impressive it doesn't mean he is gonna be all that much better in the future.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Is he worth 7.5 now? No. Could he be worth 7.5 in the future? Certainly, he could be worth more. Personally I don't see the potential that everyone else sees. I think most are blown back by what he has done at such a young age, and while that is impressive it doesn't mean he is gonna be all that much better in the future.

The contract doesn't kick in now, but point taken. As to Ekblad's potential plateauing at 20 years old, those who have watched him play every game for two years know that's ridiculous.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The contract doesn't kick in now, but point taken. As to Ekblad's potential plateauing at 20 years old, those who have watched him play every game for two years know that's ridiculous.

I'm not saying it will plateau, I'm just not expecting him to progress in the same manner a lot of people are. A lot of people expected big things from Myers, he never did reach the potential some set out for him. I believe Ekblad's career will play out similar. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely wrong though.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I'm not saying it will plateau, I'm just not expecting him to progress in the same manner a lot of people are. A lot of people expected big things from Myers, he never did reach the potential some set out for him. I believe Ekblad's career will play out similar. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely wrong though.

Stylistically, I don't know if I'd make that comparison. But, we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->