Confirmed Signing with Link: [FLA] Aaron Ekblad re-signs with Panthers (8 years, $7.500M AAV)

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Look, Ekblad is going to be one of the best defenseman in the league, but he simply hasn't earned that contract yet.

Doesn't mean it's a bad contract in the longrun, but he didn't earn it yet.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
So u think Hedman will sign for 7.5 then?

UFA vs RFA. Tampa went to the SCF and had several good runs with while Hedman was at 4 Million . Much more difficult with a 21 year old costing 7.5 a year when he may not be worth it just yet.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Maybe his agent didn't want to do a bridge unless they got serious cash. If those were the only two options, I think it's still a win win. Letang, Suter, and Subban are comparables salary-wise. Different players but I'd say he's more or less as good as all those guys already and maybe better than Suter. I think it's a good deal.

Honestly a pretty bad contract. Not because he isn't worth it but because they completely failed to get the 'steal' contract you want to get with these kind of young d-men. Hedman is on a 4 million cap hit. That's how you do it.

If they sign him to that type of deal they might be signing him for $9-10 million in 2-4 years, so it's pretty much the same difference.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Honestly a pretty bad contract. Not because he isn't worth it but because they completely failed to get the 'steal' contract you want to get with these kind of young d-men. Hedman is on a 4 million cap hit. That's how you do it.

Hedman was re-signed in 2011 when he was developing slowly, his career high had been 26 pts, and his breakout season wouldn't come for another 3 years. Remember those times?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
So u think Hedman will sign for 7.5 then?
That ballpark, maybe more. But the point is Tampa has gotten some elite type of years from Hedman on a very cheap contract.

Hedman was re-signed in 2011 when he was developing slowly, his career high had been 26 pts, and his breakout season wouldn't come for another 3 years. Remember those times?
Absolutely, but to this point Ekblad has (imo) not played 7.5 million hockey. If Florida could have gotten him at 6 million or so long-term it would have been a steal. Now they're unlikely to get many years where he plays at a level way above this contract. Missed opportunity in that regrd.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

And Hedman is UFA in 1 year. Pretty tough to compare Hedman to Ekblad.
Hedman signed a 5 year contract in 2011, this contract will start 2017 and is for 8 years, not to mention what Ekblad has already achieved in his 1st 2 years in the NHL.
Doughty is closer comparison to Ekblad.

Barkov+Ekblad franchise players = 13.4M compined longterm, would you consider that as a steal?

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The AAV is looking huge right now but THIS is the time when you pay your best players big money - not when they're 30 year old UFAs. Well done by Florida.

If he develops like expected and the cap continues to rise this will be a steal around 2020.

I hope Rangers management is reading along

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Not sure why the Panthers paid that much in AAV. Not that he can't justify that cap hit, but the biggest advantage of having a young talented player is now gone.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
You pay him 5-6m for 4 years than if he's that good you give him 10m in his next contract. If he's not that good you save a lot of cap space, and if he's worth 10 after 4 years you pay about the same at the end of the day. Awfull contract by Florida

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Right out of the gate and he gets that kind of money. He has the skills and potential to live up to that but you never see a player grow into their big contract after they sign it.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Not sure why the Panthers paid that much in AAV. Not that he can't justify that cap hit, but the biggest advantage of having a young talented player is now gone.

Maybe the Panthers don't trust Ekblad wants to stay long-term unless paid bigtime already on his very first contract as RFA ?

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Unless the Panthers win the Cup within the next 8 years this will be a disappointment.

They don't even know if he's capable of a Conn Smythe playoff performance.

Greg Schuler

Apr 3, 2012
That ballpark, maybe more. But the point is Tampa has gotten some elite type of years from Hedman on a very cheap contract.

Absolutely, but to this point Ekblad has (imo) not played 7.5 million hockey. If Florida could have gotten him at 6 million or so long-term it would have been a steal. Now they're unlikely to get many years where he plays at a level way above this contract. Missed opportunity in that regrd.

And Ekblad's agent learned from that. It takes two parties to come to an agreement. Ekblad could have told Florida he would not sign any bridge deals and that if they attempted to do anything but a long term deal, he'd bide his time and hit free agency.

I am sure Florida would have liked to get a cheaper bridge deal (Letang, Subban, Hedman, among others, all signed shorter and cheaper second deals), but Ekblad holds most of the cards here. He is young, already a legitimate top pairing defenseman, and is the team.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
A lot of money for a young player, but I guess it will be worth it when Florida is a contender. Hopefully.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Well, he's more than twice as valuable as Helm, so I guess he's worth every penny.

Seriously, I like this deal for the Panthers. Legit top pairing Ds are hard to find, and the Panthers get no declining years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A touch too much too soon but the term makes it all worth it. Congrats Panthers fans.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I'm fine with it. It will be a steal within two-three years.

They now have their two most important pieces in Ek and Barkov locked up to contracts that will ultimately be very team friendly.

Hell, I'd take Ekblad right now at 7.5 as opposed to Lundqvist at 8.5.. Or Nash at 7.8 :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad