"Fixing" the Jets for the next game

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I did a two parter:

The Winnipeg Jets currently hold a three game deficit in a best of seven series versus the Anaheim Ducks.

The Jets have been out shot, out played, and outscored. It is a confusing matter since the Jets were rarely out done in all three conditions during the regular season. These are not the same Jets of the regular season and now they are in very real danger of being swept.

Part one:
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/4/21/what-is-wrong-with-the-winnipeg-jets

Part two:
http://jetsnation.ca/2015/4/21/how-to-fix-the-winnipeg-jets

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't think there is any particular issue hampering the Jets from winning. Inexperience may be the most significant. Anaheim has a bevvy of playoff veterans, and their goaltender has an extra year of experience on ours.
We are a solid team with a lot of fight, but it seems like the playoff nerves have been showing with the lead, yesterday it was Scheifele getting burned on the game winner, Trouba, Pavs on the tying goal. Ironically however Adam Lowry has been pretty consistent.

Changing the lines would be nice. I think for success in the playoffs having players play their natural side is a step towards fundamental hockey success. Putting Wheeler on our top line to match against Getzlaf, he would pick up the pace I think and give the line a little more counterpunch. Move Perrault up to the 2nd line (protecting Scheif in the circle, and giving him a chance to attack with speed as Perrault's strength is his vision, and having finishers never hurts), and get Stafford on his natural right side, as he was nowhere to be found on the game winning point shot, where he should have been in the shooting lane. Lowry-Frolik were solid together down the stretch, add Stempniak, and we have a line that can match up against Kesler. I would give Halischuk a chance over Tlusty, just for hustle. Though that contradicts my premise, but I like Halischuk, good Ukrainian Canadian kid, lol, and clutch scorer.

Defensively I stick it out. Buff had a terrible game, maybe he will have another one. He is a good player, for the team and dressing room, no need to throw him under the bus. Maybe he is in his final season with the Jets, he has been an electric player in his time here, so I will live with his mistakes for the time being. Hopefully he finds the focus to contribute positively next game.

I don't think Hutchinson is the answer. He was cold down the stretch, is there a reason to believe he is ready, he would have to have an exceptional practice I think to convince me.

Regardless, the ride has been fun, and a learning experience. Let's hope we can get one, maybe two, and get home for game 6.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not sure how much of a role experience plays other than Jets first game and nerves.
Playoffs are a lot more similar than regular season than many like to think. Both in what occurs, pattern of who wins, and who is good in reg vs post season.

Don't like hot/cold goalie argument.
99.9% of the time it's just people trying to create meaning from randomness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad