OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Yeah, and it's much easier to do with a side of veggie next to a portion of protein and a portion of carbs. Simplifying things man, it's probably the single most important aspect someone looking to be healthier should focus on.

That's what I do. On a plate with a fish steak and some brown rice I put a handful of spinach on the side. If you were to look at the plate from top it is about 40% protein, 40% spinach and 20% rice.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
Well few things..
1) Props to Jeff for having a t-shirt on. Maybe it's because he had a bigger guy next to him...:sarcasm:
2) You cannot build muscle and burn fat at the same time unless you are a) a new trainee b) on roids or c) extremely overweight.
3) What he calls ''dead rows'' seem just terrible. It seems like a hybrid of a pendlay row with hips too low and bent over row, which I don't get. Just pick one. He also does it by slamming the bar onto the floor, which is just flat out terrible because people will usually completely disengage their core and as the bar bounces off the floor it feels weightless for about half a second but then the resistance kicks back in and pulls terribly on your back.
All in all just terrible execution and technique. I suspect that is why they did not show a side shot of them doing it as you would see rounding of the back.
4) Same applies for his ''sprinter lunges''. He combines couple exercises together, which complicates things and increases the risk of poor execution and technique. If he wants to focus on the posterior chain, he should keep his hips higher and not to do a lunge, it's another exercise I use for warm ups but for some reason the name is totally escaping my mind right now. His high pull also sucks.

Honestly, just after these two exercises, it looks like amateur hour.

5) The resistance band reverse cable fly looks interesting actually. I do some resistance band work but usually either as a warm up or finisher. But again, I don't really get the combining of exercises.
I wish he would correct Sheamus on his form a bit more, he was keeping his chest upright too much there, which prevents him from hinging properly.
6) No problem with battle ropes, but I think he babbles a bit. Rope slams are quite popular, he isn't redifining anything here.

From the first part, I think he shows exactly what I find a bit annoying from these social media guys. They try to reinvent and combine exercises to be different and make it look more ''cool'' or difficult. I think he could have made things way simpler and probably a ton more effective than whatever he just showed.
Deadlifts, Bent over rows, Kettlebell swings, DB Lunges, facepulls, in a controled manner with some rest intervals for 3 sets. Keep the rope slams for the conditioning part after the entire strength part is completed. There you go. That would be way better.

On to second routine..

1) I have done KB rows before, I love KBs actually, he seems a bit too upright and knees too forward, making the movement more of a half squat position, not really a hinger, but I have no issues with this exercise.
2) I like high cable rows, no problem there.
3) Again with the combinations...Trap 3 Raises, or as he calls them ''Y raises'' need to be done slowly. He isn't doing them well. The point of that exercise is to strengthen your lower traps as those are usually way under utilized or developed. Combining them with back extensions and using momentum to swing them up is pretty pointless, not to mention he is doing zero scapular retraction, and on his second set, they are no longer doing Y raises, they are looking like a W, so again, completely pointless.

On the third one,

1) No problem with the rows cable and rope. The lats pulldown with a rotation...never tried. I'll give it a trial tomorrow.
2) What he calls ''angels and demons'', I know them as ''reverse snow angels''. Again, he messes them up by not keeping palms facing down, and he should aim to raise hands above head when up in front and face should always look down. This is a great rehab exercise too. It should be done in a rested and controlled environment, not part of a circuit training. It goes against the purpose of this exercise.

I am not trying to hate on this guy. I think he has some interesting stuff, but there's also a lot of BS. He is great at marketing himself though I will give him that. Personally, I would take a few exercises from his routine and change the structure. I would never suggest for someone to do this exact routine.

Jeff is certainly by no means perfect, but in my opinion out of the dozens of youtubers he is most likely the best. But to answer your comments about combining the exercises, he does that because in his programs he is not promoting body lifting or strength lifting, he his promoting athleticism. Nobody in his programs are bulking but all of them that I know are growing muscles nicely and yes, without taking fat on their belly. In his 90-days programs he adds milestone challenges that you have to do in a limited time. If you fail them, you go back to square 1 and start again. The reason is that if you fail at this point, you will certainly fail the next challenge. Oh, you can for sure skip the challenges and do the workouts but you won't get as much benefits.

For example, the entry point of his first program is the 400 challenge, after 3 weeks of training. Easy movements, you need to do 100X full sit-ups, 100X inverted rows, 100X pushups and 100X bodyweight squats. You do that whatever way you want 10X10, sets of 15, etc, as long as you get to 4X100 in 17 minutes. This means about 90 seconds to do 40 reps, and no rest whatsoever. And in good form, full range of motion. A lot of people failed the first time, worked their ass off for another 3 weeks and passed. And then on to the next month with another tough challenge at the end of the month....etc

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
On the one hand, it's the case that the land used for farming animals cannot usually be used to grow crops. They use different land for those purposes, and as such the vegan 101 argument fails.

However, in order to feed those cows, you need to feed them soy, corn, grass, wheat, etc etc etc and thus a lot of arable land is used up regardless. It's also the case that fish stocks are declining in large parts of the world, there's not enough fish for all humans to eat plentiful wild-caught fish.

So, as far as I can tell, the environmental argument for reduced meat/fish consumption is valid.
It is, if you count on humans to not over produce, and since humans have been overproducing pretty much everything possible, from computers to cow milk, it would be stupid to count on that.

and there's the pesticide soup we'd be eating, wich we would as the small bio farms here and there would not be enough, mass production would definitely bring more of that fore sure, instead of eating anti-biotics from meat, we'd be eating pesticide soup..

is the argument on paper valid ? sure... if you can discipline 8billions people to reduce (by a lot) their meat consuption (as well as milk, eggs, cheese, etc). Discipled enough to not over produce, not overr-buy, not throw away food, recicle, compost, etc.

but the reality is, we ALL know people who put paper directly in the trash still, not even doing something as simple as throwing paper in the green recycling box (can't be more basic than that), and we all know more than one or two, all of us...

that's the people you should count on to help make it work, them and the "few" who's only thing in their mind is if they'll have something to eat, period.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Become a vegan drink soy and have flaccid erection and Low T. Dominic Arpin style. What a life ... I prefer being a carnivore and do it raw, hard like a rock

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Become a vegan drink soy and have flaccid erection and Low T. Dominic Arpin style. What a life ... I prefer being a carnivore and do it raw, hard like a rock

solid-as-a-rock.png

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Jeff is certainly by no means perfect, but in my opinion out of the dozens of youtubers he is most likely the best. But to answer your comments about combining the exercises, he does that because in his programs he is not promoting body lifting or strength lifting, he his promoting athleticism. Nobody in his programs are bulking but all of them that I know are growing muscles nicely and yes, without taking fat on their belly. In his 90-days programs he adds milestone challenges that you have to do in a limited time. If you fail them, you go back to square 1 and start again. The reason is that if you fail at this point, you will certainly fail the next challenge. Oh, you can for sure skip the challenges and do the workouts but you won't get as much benefits.

For example, the entry point of his first program is the 400 challenge, after 3 weeks of training. Easy movements, you need to do 100X full sit-ups, 100X inverted rows, 100X pushups and 100X bodyweight squats. You do that whatever way you want 10X10, sets of 15, etc, as long as you get to 4X100 in 17 minutes. This means about 90 seconds to do 40 reps, and no rest whatsoever. And in good form, full range of motion. A lot of people failed the first time, worked their ass off for another 3 weeks and passed. And then on to the next month with another tough challenge at the end of the month....etc

Sure, he could be the best. For the record, I am not saying he is bad. I am sure he can be great if you close the cameras and get to work with him.
Combining two exercises does not make anybody move more athletically. That is just BS mumbo jumbo he says. I wrote a good breakdown of why I thought so, not going to rewrite it.

Again, you cannot grow bigger and lose fat at same time, outside a couple exceptions.
It doesn't work as one requires a calorie surplus, while the other a calorie deficit. You can shape up your muscles as you lose fat, sure. but by building muscle I assume people are talking about growing/bulking. So maybe it's a semantic thing.

His challenge just sounds like types of crossfit inspired workout. I don't quite get the purpose. Sounds fun in theory but not sure what is the point.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Don't kid yourself you won't build a physique eating nuts and banana. It's either you are ready to ride the bicycle or you are not

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyone familiar with this site: DAREBEE - Fitness Made Easy

There are a ton of info, visual representations, programs. And all of it free and ad-free.

Their statement on how the site is funded:

DAREBEE is a crowd-funded resource. What this means is that we don’t ourselves have the money to run it, we don’t have backers or big companies investing in our efforts nor do we have product placement or advertisements here. Everything you see is provided free of charge and in its entirety. This website and all of the work that goes into it are supported exclusively by its users via user donations - it is the one and only source of funds for DAREBEE. And here is why:

Accessibility for everyone is what lies at the core of this place. It doesn’t matter who you are, where you are from, what your circumstances are you will find help here. We remove all of the barriers and hoops you would normally have to jump through to get to the information you need. Everything is freely provided here because we believe that by doing so we make a difference for many people all across the globe, we have a positive impact and we help make the world a better place. We help people who support us and we help those who are unable to give anything in any way, equally.

How we are supported and why

Thoughts?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Anyone familiar with this site: DAREBEE - Fitness Made Easy

There are a ton of info, visual representations, programs. And all of it free and ad-free.

Their statement on how the site is funded:

DAREBEE is a crowd-funded resource. What this means is that we don’t ourselves have the money to run it, we don’t have backers or big companies investing in our efforts nor do we have product placement or advertisements here. Everything you see is provided free of charge and in its entirety. This website and all of the work that goes into it are supported exclusively by its users via user donations - it is the one and only source of funds for DAREBEE. And here is why:

Accessibility for everyone is what lies at the core of this place. It doesn’t matter who you are, where you are from, what your circumstances are you will find help here. We remove all of the barriers and hoops you would normally have to jump through to get to the information you need. Everything is freely provided here because we believe that by doing so we make a difference for many people all across the globe, we have a positive impact and we help make the world a better place. We help people who support us and we help those who are unable to give anything in any way, equally.

How we are supported and why

Thoughts?

Had never heard of it.
Cliked on their "Strength protocol" program, noticed that it was a 30 day cycle, which is a bad start.
On day 1, it's 4 simple bodyweight exercises, 3 sets each.
Skipped to last day as it's usually the hardest one for these types of programs and saw that one exercise was throwing shadow punches...

Don't mean to knock this down, it is maybe something pretty decent for people who start at a very low point in strength. When you start at a low point doing 10 push ups can be quite difficult, so for them, sure it can be good. I wouldn't call this strength though because it is so basic, and the rest is also very low making this more of a muscle endurance focused program.

I haven't checked the rest, I assume they are similar. I will browse some more a bit after my meeting.
Can be interesting for true beginners.

EDIT: Doing quick browse through other programs, it seems pretty much all bodyweight stuff for 30 days. Similar to a bunch of other fitness apps.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had never heard of it.
Cliked on their "Strength protocol" program, noticed that it was a 30 day cycle, which is a bad start.
On day 1, it's 4 simple bodyweight exercises, 3 sets each.
Skipped to last day as it's usually the hardest one for these types of programs and saw that one exercise was throwing shadow punches...

Don't mean to knock this down, it is maybe something pretty decent for people who start at a very low point in strength. When you start at a low point doing 10 push ups can be quite difficult, so for them, sure it can be good. I wouldn't call this strength though because it is so basic, and the rest is also very low making this more of a muscle endurance focused program.

I haven't checked the rest, I assume they are similar. I will browse some more a bit after my meeting.
Can be interesting for true beginners.

EDIT: Doing quick browse through other programs, it seems pretty much all bodyweight stuff for 30 days. Similar to a bunch of other fitness apps.

Thanks for the feedback.

It caught my attention on account of the easy-to-emulate visual depictions. I do not have an idea of how reliable the information is -- which is far more important than their graphics, of course.

There is a ton of material in there. I'd definitely be interested in further feedback on this or any other site or app you may recommend.

Thanks again.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thanks for the feedback.

It caught my attention on account of the easy-to-emulate visual depictions. I do not have an idea of how reliable the information is -- which is far more important than their graphics, of course.

There is a ton of material in there. I'd definitely be interested in further feedback on this or any other site or app you may recommend.

Thanks again.
In terms of overall actual knowledge, I really enjoy Breaking Muscle. They also have programs for people, it used to be free but not anymore. Have to pay for the programs now, but still, if info is what you are after, there is a ton of interesting good articles.

I don't use fitness apps or websites for programs really. I used to follow some like Opex, for general functional training, but also now paying. I dabbled with Crossfit Invictus for some of the strength and conditioning work but it's too crossfit style. I tried the conjugate system and 5/3/1, but those are more serious for strength or powerlifting.

Over past couple years though I have mostly experimented with my own programs.
The sites and apps are too generic, most are also quite simple, they don't really fit my needs.
So it depends where you are at. If you don't work out much, haven't done anything, don't like going to the gym or using weights/machines, then these bodyweight type of 30 programs can be decent enough.

Reactions: Runner77

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
In terms of overall actual knowledge, I really enjoy Breaking Muscle. They also have programs for people, it used to be free but not anymore. Have to pay for the programs now, but still, if info is what you are after, there is a ton of interesting good articles.

I don't use fitness apps or websites for programs really. I used to follow some like Opex, for general functional training, but also now paying. I dabbled with Crossfit Invictus for some of the strength and conditioning work but it's too crossfit style. I tried the conjugate system and 5/3/1, but those are more serious for strength or powerlifting.

Over past couple years though I have mostly experimented with my own programs.
The sites and apps are too generic, most are also quite simple, they don't really fit my needs.
So it depends where you are at. If you don't work out much, haven't done anything, don't like going to the gym or using weights/machines, then these bodyweight type of 30 programs can be decent enough.

What are your goals?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Anecdote on some of the issues discussed here.

I went on adderall recently, after many years of coping with ADHD. I did try strattera a few years ago, that gave me a fabulous attention span, but the side effects were too significant for me. I am now on a small dose of adderall, 15 mg/day. The typical dose is 20-25 mg/day, I think. I do not plan on going higher. I might even drop it to 10 mg/day.

A side effect which I've noticed, which I was not aware of beforehand, is reduced appetite. There are days where I have a hard time finishing my meal. I do not crave as much food ... except at dinner time. At dinner time the effects of adderall will have worn off, and I find myself eating as much as I used to with as much room left to spare. I did a search afterwards ... a lot of people notice reduced appetite on these drugs. Similar drugs used to be prescribed as diet pills, there was one called "obetrol" back in the 1950s and 1960s. Adderall drug can trigger anorexia. It's dangerous for children in part because the reduced appetite might lead to a reduced growth spurt. This is all part of why I will not increase my dose. There is the possibility of other side effects as well.

Within the context of this discussion and the wider fitness discussion on the internet, it's a good counterexample to the simplistic arguments of "calories in calories out", "just eat less", "just show commitment", etc etc etc. Appetite and satiety (and for that matter, resting metabolic rate) is not a free parameter that people can just set. People who are driven to hunger will inevitably eat more, and those who are not hungry will inevitably eat less. That is largely independent of morality, willpower, and outdated worldview from now the falsified and puerile psychology theory that people have absolute free will. Appetite, satiety, and metabolism can be affected by the food that we eat, but that's not fully understood, not necessarily easy to implement given constraints, and not necessarily fully effective.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Re: veganism, paleo, etc.

We've had a lot of discussions on these issues, unfortunately dominated by the presentation and subsequent debunking of pseudoscience rather than arguments based on reason and robust empirical science. I would, actually, be interested in knowing more, in having a rigorous discussion, but unfortunately there are significant agendas which act as obstacles to the acquisition of knowledge. This applies not just to us, but clearly, in my opinion, to some of the researchers, who are biased as well.

One example of bullshit that I'd like to point out is that vegetarianism (unlike veganism) doesn't make any sense, and cannot make sense. As far as I can tell, absolutely everything positive, and everything negative, about meat, also applies to dairy and eggs. The presence of saturated fatty acids, cholesterol, animal proteins, retinol, iron, zinc, alleged accumulation of hormones and other materials, alleged inefficient use of land, etc etc etc all apply just as much to dairy/eggs as they do to meat. It's an arbitrary line in the sand. It may in fact be a form of cultural racism, as white people are generally better at digesting dairy, just like Asian people are on average better at digesting soy.

But I might learn something from trying on myself.

So for 8 weeks beginning Monday, I am cutting out gluten, added sugar, meat, milk, eggs. This will run from Monday April 30th to Sunday June 24th. I will still allow myself one serving of fermented dairy (cheese, yogurt) a day, two servings of fish a week, honey (an animal product), an important work-related dinner on May 17th where I can cheat freely, the possibility of a short trip to Montreal where I would eat, and whatever shows up in my cooking classes. That sounds like a lot of exceptions but it's actually a substantial change, I swear lol.

I will focus on nuts, seeds, fruit, beans, mushrooms, and vegetables. I value a better cardiovascular system, a better central nervous system, a better immune system, better skin and hair, and lower body fat. More muscle would be nice but is a lesser priority than the others.

If you guys like, I can report back here on changes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

We've had a lot of discussions on these issues, unfortunately dominated by the presentation and subsequent debunking of pseudoscience rather than arguments based on reason and robust empirical science. I would, actually, be interested in knowing more, in having a rigorous discussion, but unfortunately there are significant agendas which act as obstacles to the acquisition of knowledge. This applies not just to us, but clearly, in my opinion, to some of the researchers, who are biased as well.

One example of bull**** that I'd like to point out is that vegetarianism (unlike veganism) doesn't make any sense, and cannot make sense. As far as I can tell, absolutely everything positive, and everything negative, about meat, also applies to dairy and eggs. The presence of saturated fatty acids, cholesterol, animal proteins, retinol, iron, zinc, alleged accumulation of hormones and other materials, alleged inefficient use of land, etc etc etc all apply just as much to dairy/eggs as they do to meat. It's an arbitrary line in the sand. It may in fact be a form of cultural racism, as white people are generally better at digesting dairy, just like Asian people are on average better at digesting soy.

So for 8 weeks beginning Monday, I am cutting out gluten, added sugar, meat, milk, eggs. This will run from Monday April 30th to Sunday June 24th. I will still allow myself one serving of fermented dairy (cheese, yogurt) a day, two servings of fish a week, honey (an animal product), an important work-related dinner on May 17th where I can cheat freely, the possibility of a short trip to Montreal where I would eat, and whatever shows up in my cooking classes. That sounds like a lot of exceptions but it's actually a substantial change, I swear lol.

I will focus on nuts, seeds, fruit, beans, mushrooms, and vegetables. I value a better cardiovascular system, a better central nervous system, a better immune system, better skin and hair, and lower body fat. More muscle would be nice but is a lesser priority than the others.

I wonder what vegans think of honey products? Never though of this one.

BeastMode420

Jan 30, 2018
Anecdote on some of the issues discussed here.

I went on adderall recently, after many years of coping with ADHD. I did try strattera a few years ago, that gave me a fabulous attention span, but the side effects were too significant for me. I am now on a small dose of adderall, 15 mg/day. The typical dose is 20-25 mg/day, I think. I do not plan on going higher. I might even drop it to 10 mg/day.

A side effect which I've noticed, which I was not aware of beforehand, is reduced appetite. There are days where I have a hard time finishing my meal. I do not crave as much food ... except at dinner time. At dinner time the effects of adderall will have worn off, and I find myself eating as much as I used to with as much room left to spare. I did a search afterwards ... a lot of people notice reduced appetite on these drugs. Similar drugs used to be prescribed as diet pills, there was one called "obetrol" back in the 1950s and 1960s. Adderall drug can trigger anorexia. It's dangerous for children in part because the reduced appetite might lead to a reduced growth spurt. This is all part of why I will not increase my dose. There is the possibility of other side effects as well.

Within the context of this discussion and the wider fitness discussion on the internet, it's a good counterexample to the simplistic arguments of "calories in calories out", "just eat less", "just show commitment", etc etc etc. Appetite and satiety (and for that matter, resting metabolic rate) is not a free parameter that people can just set. People who are driven to hunger will inevitably eat more, and those who are not hungry will inevitably eat less. That is largely independent of morality, willpower, and outdated worldview from now the falsified and puerile psychology theory that people have absolute free will. Appetite, satiety, and metabolism can be affected by the food that we eat, but that's not fully understood, not necessarily easy to implement given constraints, and not necessarily fully effective.

Adderall will reduce your testoterone level. Did you do an hormonal check-up with an endocrinologist ? Solution could be there without that shitty drug who will f*** you up in the long run

Reactions: DAChampion

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

One example of bull**** that I'd like to point out is that vegetarianism (unlike veganism) doesn't make any sense, and cannot make sense. As far as I can tell, absolutely everything positive, and everything negative, about meat, also applies to dairy and eggs. The presence of saturated fatty acids, cholesterol, animal proteins, retinol, iron, zinc, alleged accumulation of hormones and other materials, alleged inefficient use of land, etc etc etc all apply just as much to dairy/eggs as they do to meat. It's an arbitrary line in the sand. It may in fact be a form of cultural racism, as white people are generally better at digesting dairy, just like Asian people are on average better at digesting soy.

Personally, I don't know any vegetarian that argued they were doing this for improved health and tried to argue ad nauseum about wild claims regarding meat.
The ones I know do it because a) they don't like the taste of meat, but mostly b) ethical reasons.
It's not about meat causing death.

What you are about to try can be interesting, but as you said, you are making a substantial change. So whatever you are going to observe won't be a precise conclusion.
Cutting gluten alone would probably make you feel better. To that you add cutting sugar. Those are already two huge changes that will have a positive impact. To that you add more fruits and veggies, which again, is likely to improve your health. Doing that while still eating animal protein is already game changer.

So you won't be able to tell what is the actual cause of your improvements, if any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad