OT: Fitness and Nutrition Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Told you I was not eating salad but it was in my plan ahahah. Anyway, doesn't matter and thanks for the info regarding greek yogurt !
It's a bad plan from the start, usually. People see salad as an healthy dish but its usually drenched in dressing and brings little to no macro's to the table.

Better off eating something you enjoy.

Reactions: philipsson

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The bolded part might be my biggest problem, along with all the energy drinks (god awful, i know). And are you ripped as **** ? Cause that's a good "permissive" plan that I could follow. I always thought I had the feeling it was not getting better because I was destroying my plan on weekends, but if you're telling me you are a fitness machine while doing this during weekends it will encourage me ahaha !
I look at it as a bit of a refuel, just hammering calories and in turn protein over the 2 days. Wouldn't say I'm ripped as shit though, I'd say my physique looks like an MMA fighter who's been partying for a month lol. I'd be a lot more shredded if I was more disciplined on the weekends to be sure, but I think the tradeoff is worth it, I still look good, and get to have my fun on weekends too.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Yay! Thanks for the recipes. I am better in french so that's not a problem :laugh:

No problem. What really works well for me is I prep all my food on the weekend for the upcoming week. And nothing crazy either, I stick to stuff that I can whip up quickly so I'm not in the kitchen for 5 hours or whatever.

For instance, I'll do two of the recipes I've given to you in the previous message and I'll cook two proteins (Around 10 chickens thighs and two big steaks). That will be my dinners for the week.

For breakfast I'll cook a dozen of these Egg muffins and grab three or four before I head out the house in the morning.

I also have a bunch of mason jars that will have these High-protein overnight oats, one for every day of the week. Again, I just grab one jar before I head out the house.

For me, it's all about preparation, just makes it easier to stick to my diet.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
I look at it as a bit of a refuel, just hammering calories and in turn protein over the 2 days. Wouldn't say I'm ripped as **** though, I'd say my physique looks like an MMA fighter who's been partying for a month lol. I'd be a lot more shredded if I was more disciplined on the weekends to be sure, but I think the tradeoff is worth it, I still look good, and get to have my fun on weekends too.

Really talks to me. I would say that pretty much describes my situation. I think I look good, could look better if I was 100% committed to my plan but, as you said, I don't think the tradeoff is worth it. Thanks man !

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
No problem. What really works well for me is I prep all my food on the weekend for the upcoming week. And nothing crazy either, I stick to stuff that I can whip up quickly so I'm not in the kitchen for 5 hours or whatever.

For instance, I'll do two of the recipes I've given to you in the previous message and I'll cook two proteins (Around 10 chickens thighs and two big steaks). That will be my dinners for the week.

For breakfast I'll cook a dozen of these Egg muffins and grab three or four before I head out the house in the morning.

I also have a bunch of mason jars that will have these High-protein overnight oats, one for every day of the week. Again, I just grab one jar before I head out the house.

For me, it's all about preparation, just makes it easier to stick to my diet.

The jar idea is pretty good. I do the same as you. I cook the eggs and my lunches on the weekend, usually sunday. I cook my dinners day-to-day tho, but that's ok. You eat 3-4 muffins every breakfast ? Those look delicious by the way.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's basicall why I moved away from watching my "aestetics" to just trying to lift the biggest weight I can. It's alot more fun, a lot more tangible and good looks come with it.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My whole routine revolves around best matching my physique to my head. Need to be lean enough to avoid fat face, but still big in order to match my giant cranium.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Only 3+ hours lol but I find when I have to be confined in a seat for a while the day after a heavy back/DL workout, my back can tighten up, even just going to a movie will do it. Have big plans for golf, biking, tennis, swimming, surfing, snorkling etc so don't want to be dealing with a sore back. Prolly just gonna go light to be safe.
Feeling tight watching a movie isn't quite normal..If you are lifting in good form, then I'd say, pay attention to your posture when you sit.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Would you guys mind sharing what you eat during a typical day ? I've been on some kind of plan but I am kind of uncertain it works. Never had weight issue or anything so it's hard to determine if it's optimal for me. I eat 6x a day and I go the the gym at 8:30.

Breakfast (~7:30) : 2 eggs white + bagel + greek yogurt
Around 10 : Protein shake + salad (well, most of the time just the shake)
Lunch (around 12:30) : Pasta + salad (It's here that I am a little skeptical..... why pasta, maybe you can guys give your opinion/suggestions)
Around 15:00 : greek yogurt + muffin
Diner (17h30) : 150g meat + 100g veggies
Around 20:00 : Protein shake + almonds

3L of water each day.

If you don't feel like your plan works, change it. What works for you doesn't work for someone else.

You need to know BMR and TEE, from there you plan your meals. If you don't know these numbers then you are just a blind man driving.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Feeling tight watching a movie isn't quite normal..If you are lifting in good form, then I'd say, pay attention to your posture when you sit.
I'm definitely very form aware, and feel fine throughout the workout, it's just when I have to stay seated for a long time the day after it starts to tense up. My posture when sitting is definitely poor, so will be mindful of that, thanks.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
If you don't feel like your plan works, change it. What works for you doesn't work for someone else.

You need to know BMR and TEE, from there you plan your meals. If you don't know these numbers then you are just a blind man driving.

There's a lot a things that were considered for my plan, what is BMR and TEE exactly ? It's probably taken into account already. Is BMR something related to metabolism while resting ? TEE well i'm trying to think about something in french that matches but couldn't find.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There's a lot a things that were considered for my plan, what is BMR and TEE exactly ? It's probably taken into account already. Is BMR something related to metabolism while resting ? TEE well i'm trying to think about something in french that matches but couldn't find.
BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate...Basically the amount of calories you need for your body to function normally.
TEE is Total Energy Expenditure...So your BMR+energy you will spend throughout your day.
If you want to bulk, you need to be over that TEE number. If you want to trim down, get under it.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site

Use this calculator to get your numbers. TEE should actually be TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate...Basically the amount of calories you need for your body to function normally.
TEE is Total Energy Expenditure...So your BMR+energy you will spend throughout your day.
If you want to bulk, you need to be over that TEE number. If you want to trim down, get under it.

Yea, my plan calculated those numbers and took that into account for the macros. Thanks boys ! Gotta find the motivation back tho

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
It's a bad plan from the start, usually. People see salad as an healthy dish but its usually drenched in dressing and brings little to no macro's to the table.

You're picking the absolute worst definition of "Salad", which is a broad term. What you put in your bowl can be as useless as iceberg lettuce with bacon-bits and creamy dressing, or as awesome as mixed greens, walnuts, a sprinkling of veggies, and light balsamic. Done right, it's very healthy and delicious.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're picking the absolute worst definition of "Salad", which is a broad term. What you put in your bowl can be as useless as iceberg lettuce with bacon-bits and creamy dressing, or as awesome as mixed greens, walnuts, a sprinkling of veggies, and light balsamic. Done right, it's very healthy and delicious.
Correct. A salad is simply a big mix, which is why I get so annoyed when these local boys keep referring to "salade" instead of "lettuce". For some reason, this pisses me the f*** off. :huh:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

And it still wont be as nutritious as a lot of other dish you could make.

Theres a reason no serious athletes are on a "salad" diet.

Plus you always have to expect the worst, especially from people who (No disrespect intended @philipsson) have next to no knowledge about nutrition.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014

Plus you always have to expect the worst, especially from people who (No disrespect intended @philipsson) have next to no knowledge about nutrition.

I do have some knowledge, but clearly not as much as you guys. I don't feel offended, i'm just trying to "get better" by reading stuff here.

EDIT : On a side note, just switched greek yogourt to "fat" yogourt (9%). Damn, that **** is tasty.

Reactions: Mrb1p

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A couple points on the past few pages ...

1) Egg whites are a ridiculous meal item unless you're following a specific recipe like meringue. You should eat the whole egg, as the nutrition in the egg yolk are complementary to the egg white, and together the digestion is slowed down, which is better. Egg yolks contain bioavailable retinol, B12, D3, E, K2, etc.

2) Salads are wonderful in and of themselves as a part of a healthy diet. A "salad diet" might not make sense long-term, but they should ideally be a component of any long-term diet in my opinion, and in the short-term they can work as well.

There are some decent anecdotes of people who have "detoxed" on salad or juice cleanses, which are short-term, and hopefully not 100% spinach. Right now the proposed explanations are undoubtedly bullshit, but in the medium terms I expect people to figure out what's actually going on.

There is some debate that I have not fully explored as to why vegetables are seemingly so healthy. A lot of the micronutrients are actually available in meat, fish, and dairy so they should not help that much. I've read some speculation that it's also the additional benefit of nitrates. The idea is that the nitrates, for example in beetroot, are an additional substantial benefit that greatly elevate the actual nutrient value of vegetables, and it's not accounted for in a lot of nutritional models. But I'd have to read up more on that to know if it's valid or not.

Anyhow, here's one recommendation:

Can of chickpeas
2 stalks of leek, chopped.
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
olive oil to taste
cumin to taste
salt to taste
chili flakes to taste

Drop the olive oil in a pan, heat. add onion and garlic, stir. Add leek, stir. Add chickpeas, stir. Keep stirring. Add spices. Profit.

Other vegetables to consider, small pieces of zucchini (same time as the leek), and herbs like parsley to be added at the end.

Seriously?

You don't have to drench it in high-sugar dressing.

Vinegar is actually wonderful, by the way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lshap

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I do have some knowledge, but clearly not as much as you guys. I don't feel offended, i'm just trying to "get better" by reading stuff here.

EDIT : On a side note, just switched greek yogourt to "fat" yogourt (9%). Damn, that **** is tasty.

Low-fat yogurt is nonsense, it's made due to the incorrect 1970s-era pseudoscience that fat is bad for you. High-fat yogurts are actually better for you, as they take longer to absorb and cause a weaker insulin response. In contrast the low-fat yogurt is more likely to stimulate appetite (and thus more eating) a few hours down the line.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Salad diet? Who's talking about a being on salad diet? You were condemning salads in general, as if it was one specific food. That's wrong. "Salad" is as general a term as "Meat". Deli meat has no relation to fresh, lean meat, just like your example of creamy, crappy lettuce has no relation to the nutrient-rich bowls of veggies that are both called "Salads".

Reactions: DAChampion

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Anyhow, here's one recommendation:

Can of chickpeas
2 stalks of leek, chopped.
1 chopped onion
2 chopped garlic cloves
olive oil to taste
cumin to taste
salt to taste