OT: Fit 4 Less

ShotDownCrosby

Sep 29, 2009
Ontario
I agree with home working out. You don't need expensive equipment either.

You can do p90x, or even a video game life EA active or wii fit. Lost of people laugh at those but they can work if you commit to it.

Or Insanity videos. I started those, because I wanted something different and something that did more toning than just cardio. They looked fairly easy. But they work you like crazy.

Planning on restarting after vacation, a burn + massive allergic reaction/chemical reaction to a burn cream put me out for a bit. lol. But after 3 weeks of doing it, I could tell it was really kicking my butt into shape.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Im going to bump this. I've been lazy and gotten fat the past couple of years, thinking about joining a gym. Anyone been to the fit4less on merivale?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Im going to bump this. I've been lazy and gotten fat the past couple of years, thinking about joining a gym. Anyone been to the fit4less on merivale?

Never been to that gym, but I would recommend going to a martial arts gym. Not only you get fit, but you're learning to kick ass. It's not for everyone, and it is more expensive but personally I love it. I've been doing Muay Thai for over a year and have toned up considerably.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa

Yep. If you're cool with a basic gym (no classes, etc.) that's really busy, then fit4less will be fine. You can do all the exercises you need to do and you can't really beat the price. Also, 24/7 is appealing.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yep. If you're cool with a basic gym (no classes, etc.) that's really busy, then fit4less will be fine. You can do all the exercises you need to do and you can't really beat the price. Also, 24/7 is appealing.

Really busy eh? Thats kind of what I was hoping to avoid. Just peak hours or pretty much all the time since it's so cheap?

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
I always disliked a lot of aspects of the gym.

Best thing I ever did was start a Beachbody program. P90x/2/3, T25, Insanity, Body Beast, they are all great. I got in the best shape of my life doing P90x and it got me into the whole fitness thing. I love that I can do it at home and I only needed to but like a few dumbells.

If its an option for you I highly recommend it.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Really busy eh? Thats kind of what I was hoping to avoid. Just peak hours or pretty much all the time since it's so cheap?

Packed on weekends and really busy week nights. I've never been after 9 or so but before then it's usually busy. You'll have to work in at a lot of the stations during peak times.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I always disliked a lot of aspects of the gym.

Best thing I ever did was start a Beachbody program. P90x/2/3, T25, Insanity, Body Beast, they are all great. I got in the best shape of my life doing P90x and it got me into the whole fitness thing. I love that I can do it at home and I only needed to but like a few dumbells.

If its an option for you I highly recommend it.

Yeah me too, I do like the options for cardio and just having all the equipment there. I've always favoured dumbells and barbells over machines. The apartment building i live in has a basic gym, but the weights are very limited.

This beachbody thing might be a decent way to supplement what I can do in the apartment gym. Which of them do you recommend>

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Been a member for 2 years. It's ok for 5 buck every 2 weeks. It is really busy, you just need to have patience and be respectful.

I wouldn't go for the $20 membership though. It's not worth it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Just do this.

lunapic_137063749494862_2.gif

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If you want something even better, forgo the gym concept completely and make an initial investment in to buying super-resistance bands, a set of orange cones, a set of dumbbells, a chinup bar and a Swiss ball. You can also buy something like a parachute runner.

Just with those things alone, roughly an investment of about $400 (but you obviously get to keep everything) you can take your workouts to a different level.

One example: go to a soccer field, bring the cones, parachute, resistance bands and two sets of dumbbells. If you buy a super long resistance band you can tie it around one of the goalposts, set up some cones at 10, 20 and 30 feet and do wind sprints touching each cone (for added emphasis bring 3 tennis balls and place a tennis ball on top of each cone when you run to it). Do that exercise 6 to 8 times.

Then do a parachute sprint of the field in both directions.

Then using the dumbbells, do two sets of push ups (T-pushups, etc.).

You won't even need a gym. You'll be outside and you'll get a great workout.

When the winter comes around, do pushups, chinups, situps, dumbbell exercises and take up outdoor running.

This isn't terrible advice depending on the type of routine someone wants to do, and how much space they have.

Adjustable dumb bells like power blocks, along with a multi purpose bar for chin/pull ups and dips, as well as a used adjustable bench could be had for 500ish.

A bench can be kept stood up in a spare closet.

The only thing you can't do with that is major barbell work. Otherwise you could craft an effective routine.

As far as indoor cardio goes, if you live in a house ie no neighbors, a jump rope is 10 bucks. If you're going to buy an actual cardio machine, buy used or on clearance. That way, if you ever sell it, you are likely to retain most of what you spent. Never pay full price for a cardio machine.

The only downside to working out at home is that you are more likely to skip workouts if you aren't self motivate

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
I fell upon Fit4Less which is not too far from my place. I was wondering if anyone here goes there? or has checked it out? Thought it was a pretty solid deal for 20$/month with no commitments required?
Isn't it still $10/month if you lock in for the year? You can't beat having $10 taken out of your account automatically for a year.
It's a fine gym owned by Goodlife at Merivale/Baseline. Cheap 'cause their ain't no showers, but enough machines as it's not that small.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Yeah me too, I do like the options for cardio and just having all the equipment there. I've always favoured dumbells and barbells over machines. The apartment building i live in has a basic gym, but the weights are very limited.

This beachbody thing might be a decent way to supplement what I can do in the apartment gym. Which of them do you recommend>

Depends on your goals. If your looking for cardio options Insanity is your best bet but its intense. I habe gotten in teh habit of doing T25 (25 minutes) cardio videos then lifting after.

After all these years thought I am still partial to P90x. its a big committment cause we are talking about an hour EVERY day. but ti works on cardio dtegth flexibility endurance, everything. P90X3 is pretty much the same excep shorter 30 minutes. and in my mind not as good because of that lol.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Join a bootcamp. Good full body workouts that scale easily to your changing fitness levels, is a functional body workout rather than curling and pressing, and you work out with a group of people with similar fitness goals to your own.

You not only motivate each other, but it's a good way to meet people who have similar interests to you.

Unless you are supremely motivated and dedicated, do not fall for the home workout, or solo outdoor workout. You'll rarely do it enough to see the results you want.

Once working out is an established part of your life routine, then you can start relying on home workouts, but even then usually just to make up for a missed day.

And Yoga is not a workout, it's stretching. You want to make sure you're getting your heart rate up and that you are doing some cardio work. Turning up the heat to make you sweat unfortunately doesn't count. If you want to work on your flexibility, then sure, go to yoga with your girl. ;)

My two cents.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Join a bootcamp. Good full body workouts that scale easily to your changing fitness levels, is a functional body workout rather than curling and pressing, and you work out with a group of people with similar fitness goals to your own.

You not only motivate each other, but it's a good way to meet people who have similar interests to you.

Unless you are supremely motivated and dedicated, do not fall for the home workout, or solo outdoor workout. You'll rarely do it enough to see the results you want.

Once working out is an established part of your life routine, then you can start relying on home workouts, but even then usually just to make up for a missed day.

And Yoga is not a workout, it's stretching. You want to make sure you're getting your heart rate up and that you are doing some cardio work. Turning up the heat to make you sweat unfortunately doesn't count. If you want to work on your flexibility, then sure, go to yoga with your girl. ;)

My two cents.

Any recommendations for a bootcamp in Ottawa? Google yields a bunch of different options, but not much in the way of reviews. Seems like a different way to go about the whole thing.

I used to work out quite a lot, just slowly fell out of the routine and before I knew it I let myself go. Different ways to keep being active fresh never hurts!

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
If you want something even better, forgo the gym concept completely and make an initial investment in to buying super-resistance bands, a set of orange cones, a set of dumbbells, a chinup bar and a Swiss ball. You can also buy something like a parachute runner.

Just with those things alone, roughly an investment of about $400 (but you obviously get to keep everything) you can take your workouts to a different level.

One example: go to a soccer field, bring the cones, parachute, resistance bands and two sets of dumbbells. If you buy a super long resistance band you can tie it around one of the goalposts, set up some cones at 10, 20 and 30 feet and do wind sprints touching each cone (for added emphasis bring 3 tennis balls and place a tennis ball on top of each cone when you run to it). Do that exercise 6 to 8 times.

Then do a parachute sprint of the field in both directions.

Then using the dumbbells, do two sets of push ups (T-pushups, etc.).

You won't even need a gym. You'll be outside and you'll get a great workout.

When the winter comes around, do pushups, chinups, situps, dumbbell exercises and take up outdoor running.

Although I don't think this is a BAD idea... One thing I have seen happen EXTREMELY often, is that when people train on their own or at home (and forgo going to a gym/class completely), they usually stop.

Literally, almost everyone's house I have entered in the last few years has had a set of dumbbells, a treadmill, bowflex, cables, crunch machine, or pull up bar, ect... What they also had in common is that they never use it.

Going to the gym might be intimidating at first (actually, 100% will be). You'll probably feel jealous, sad, discouraged. Slowly, however, you'll start to recognize people and they'll become your friends. They'll help motivate you, learn what you're good/bad at, they'll know your goals, and, overall, make you feel 500% better about yourself. They'll push you to be the best you you can be. At least that's true with everyone I see at every gym I've ever gone to.

I've been going pretty consistently since April 2014, and I feel like my gym has transitioned from a place that I feel like is a chore / duty that I MUST perform, and is more like my little temple where I can go to unwind. All my stress gets pushed out with the workout. People smile when I beat my bests, and I smile when they beat theirs.

I literally have 0 invested in any gym, so I have nothing to gain by telling you to go... But just go. You might hate it at first, but really try to talk to people while you're there and you'll love going within a couple months. I guarantee you that you'll look forward to going after a few months.

You can save this post. If you start tomorrow and in July you don't enjoy going, I'll send you $100.00

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Any recommendations for a bootcamp in Ottawa? Google yields a bunch of different options, but not much in the way of reviews. Seems like a different way to go about the whole thing.

I used to work out quite a lot, just slowly fell out of the routine and before I knew it I let myself go. Different ways to keep being active fresh never hurts!

Let me ask my partner if she has any contacts.

We run this in Victoria:

www.victoriabootcamp.ca

Typically the indoor workouts are free weights and body weights, and the outdoor ones are sleds, ropes, tractor tires, body weights, hill runs, sprints, and a water rest here and there ;) through in some community events and some rec sports and it's pretty well rounded fitness.

I've always found that the increase in confidence you get when you look good and feel good, translates into being more confident with girls, out with people in general, at work, when playing new sport, etc...

Also, healthy eating is a must, and the equal otherside of the equation.

EDIT: I did a quick little search and came up with this place, check it out and let us know what it's like. Has indoor and outdoor which is good. It's a good signe when they have sleds and ropes and tires for outdoor workouts.

https://getsweat.ca/

Last edited:

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Fit4less is good for the basic stuff.

Several times in the past I tried during the day on weekdays and I can tell you it is busy all the time.

It doesn't have medicine balls or foam rollers. Just the machines, benches and cardio equipment. The cardio is so vast, there is always a spot. Can't really say the same for benches and the squat rack in particular.

Last edited:

BigBush*

My two cents.

Yoga is most definitely a workout, you just need to make sure you're doing Power Yoga. Most of my hockey buddy's won't do it with me because they can't get through a 30 minute session, their strength to body weight just isn't good enough for power yoga.

Almost all NHL teams use a form of yoga for strength training, not just stretching (from what I've heard).

Also one of the best forms of exercise for injury prevention

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
For $600 on kijiji I got a power rack, olympic bar, bench, and 300 lbs of weights. I spent another 100 on dumbbells and now I have a nearly full gym in my basement (I just spent another $150 on a lat attachment for the rack, should get here within the week). I workout every day while watching friends on netflix and I never have to work in with anyone. $700 gets you about a year at goodlife. Definitely one of the best investments I've ever made.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yoga is most definitely a workout, you just need to make sure you're doing Power Yoga. Most of my hockey buddy's won't do it with me because they can't get through a 30 minute session, their strength to body weight just isn't good enough for power yoga.

Almost all NHL teams use a form of yoga for strength training, not just stretching (from what I've heard).

Also one of the best forms of exercise for injury prevention

I was totally trying to get a rise out of you as deferred jerkishness properly directed at an exgirlfriend-Lululemon-working-self-endorsing-yoga-spokeswoman... "I DO work out a$$hole, I do yoga!"

And I'll always love the girl ;)

But yeah, yoga is complementary and can be good for working stabilizers and working out with hot chicks (teasing you again).

Totally hear you about dudes though. We run bootcamps and it's funny when the gym dudes come out to play, even the rugby guys have a hard time pushing a 200lbs sled on concrete.

If you ever do Mudder or something, watch the muscly guys suffer pulling their bodies up and over things, especially reching back and helping others, it's ass backwards for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad