Fischler Article Pulled by FoxSports.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

Some of you may recall a short while back that the issue arose in another thread about a quote attributed to Pierre Dagenais which seemed almost identical to the same thing he said back in October. "Gutsy Pierre" as Fischler referred to him seemed to be taking another shot at the NHLPA. However the whole thing did not scan when you examined it closely.

At the time it appeared very suspicious to me as you can see in the following thread:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?p=2356225&highlight=fischler#post2356225

See post #26 and following for a discussion.

This seemed to be a little outside the pale even for columnist so I filed a complaint with FoxSports.com complaining that if it was re-cycled quote presented as current that it seemed a breach of ethical standards.

I have received a reply:

Dear user,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have opened an investigation into this matter. Pending further fact-finding, including contacting the author, we have pulled this story from our website.

We hope you continue to make Foxsports.com your online destination for sports features and content.

Roger Sackaroff
foxsports.com

Comments: I was reading the Stan Fischler article dated 11 January 2005 and it appears that Mr. Fiscler has sunk to a new journalistic low. At the very least he appears to have not properly attributed a quote. It appears that Stan Fischler is running a game here on behalf of ownership, recycling an old quote and sticking a new date on it. http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3314914 Here is Dagenais' comment as reported in by Fischler: "Guys have started to talk in the last three weeks," says Dagenais. "It could open Bob Goodenow's eyes. I'd be curious to see if they took a poll of the players on a cap. They may be surprised to see how many players in my situation would vote in favor of a cap." Here is Dagenais' comment as reported in October 2004 from the TSN website: "Guys have started to talk in the last three weeks. It could open Bob Goodenow's eyes," Dagenais told CKAC in Montreal. "I'd be curious to see it if they they took a poll of the players on a salary cap. They may be surprised to see how many players in my situation would vote in favour of a cap." http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=103065 Note the removal of "Dagenais told CKAC in Montreal" and replaced it with "says Dagenais" while its placement within the quote has been altered. In the first reference in the TSN quote Dagenais refers to a "salary cap" but in the Fischler version it is just a "cap". Also note in his article Fischler is very careful to not say when Dagenais said this although he tries to leave the impression it is recent: "The NHLPA figured it had brainwashed or intimidated Montreal's Pierre Dagenais out of thinking a salary cap is good for the NHL. Here's the latest from gutsy Pierre:" Now I suppose it IS possible that Pierre Dagenais used virtually the same words 2 1/2 months apart but that is stretching credulity. Also it seems that Fischler should maybe have checked on Lucky Pierre's whereabouts before running the quote. According to the IIHF he is playing in Switzerland: "January 9 Pierre Dagenais (CAN) -- Montreal -- to HC Ajoie (SUI-2)" http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr8704.htm While not much seems to be expected of sports journalists these days in terms of ethical standards, this seems to me to be even below the current low standards. I would appreciate a response. Thanks.

I guess you can fight city hall.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
:handclap: to you.

And :handclap: to FoxSports.com as well, who seem to display the willingness to act proactively before this matter became a bigger deal.

Lanny MacDonald*

I hope you will apply the same level of editorial scrutiny to Strachan, Brooks, Dowbiggen and Spector when they start quoting each other's OpEd articles as "sources" for their tripe? Probably not.

:shakehead

Marconius

Jan 27, 2003
Visit site
The Iconoclast said:
I hope you will apply the same level of editorial scrutiny to Strachan, Brooks, Dowbiggen and Spector when they start quoting each other's OpEd articles as "sources" for their tripe? Probably not.

:shakehead

Good point, we can't make all the journalists accountable, so we may as well not even try. :shakehead I applaud Fox for showing some integrity and I applaud wetcoaster for doing something proactive about a blatent breach of journalistic integrity :handclap:

Lanny MacDonald*

Marconius said:
Good point, we can't make all the journalists accountable, so we may as well not even try. :shakehead I applaud Fox for showing some integrity and I applaud wetcoaster for doing something proactive about a blatent breach of journalistic integrity :handclap:

Sure, I think its great too. I think all journalists should be held accountable when they write bad columns and misquote or lie to make their point. My point was is he going to hold his heros to fire as much as he holds his enemies? I think Fischler is a joke and should have packed it in a decade ago. I love the fact that he got caught and his tory got pulled for what he did. But what about the guys who fabricate stories in a worse fashion by quoting each other as sources close to the NHL? Do they not deserve the same distain? Maybe even worse? When Brooks writes an OpEd and then Strachan quotes him as a source that is wrong. When Dowbiggen quotes both as sources, that is wrong. When Spector makes mention of the same content, all fabricated from one OpEd piece, that is wrong. If you're going to talk about journalistic integrity and torch one guy for it, everyone gets torched in the same fashion. All I want to know is if he will do the same for the guys who do worse on the player's side?

:teach:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
Sure, I think its great too. I think all journalists should be held accountable when they write bad columns and misquote or lie to make their point. My point was is he going to hold his heros to fire as much as he holds his enemies? I think Fischler is a joke and should have packed it in a decade ago. I love the fact that he got caught and his tory got pulled for what he did. But what about the guys who fabricate stories in a worse fashion by quoting each other as sources close to the NHL? Do they not deserve the same distain? Maybe even worse? When Brooks writes an OpEd and then Strachan quotes him as a source that is wrong. When Dowbiggen quotes both as sources, that is wrong. When Spector makes mention of the same content, all fabricated from one OpEd piece, that is wrong. If you're going to talk about journalistic integrity and torch one guy for it, everyone gets torched in the same fashion. All I want to know is if he will do the same for the guys who do worse on the player's side?

That's quite a job. What salary are you offering? :joker:

SENSible1*

Crosbyfan said:
That's quite a job. What salary are you offering? :joker:

The same amount he got paid for exposing Fischler.

I think what Wetcoaster did is admirable.

I think that Iconoclast has a valid point about holding the PA mouthpeices to the same standards.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Thunderstruck said:
The same amount he got paid for exposing Fischler.

I think what Wetcoaster did is admirable.

I think that Iconoclast has a valid point about holding the PA mouthpeices to the same standards.

I absolutely agree...but I'm not going to do it, and I'm not going to suggest that Wetcoaster do it, just because he called out Fischler.

If you or Iconoclast want to do it, then I'm all for it. If you are as sucessful (and even if you're not) props to you.

Fischler has well deserved egg on his face. (And he knows it)

Kudos to FoxSport also. They could have ignored it but they didn't.
I have no problem with biased reporting as I expect it but I do have a problem with misrepresentation of facts. I would have taken Fischlers opinion with a grain of salt but I WOULD have trusted him on this one.

I would like to think it was sloppy editting and not intentional because it's pretty blatant.

Same for any pro PA journalist. If they are misrepresenting the facts please call them on it, but they are entitled to their opinion or bias.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
It'll be interesting to see what happens with this. I never saw the original article, but looking things over, it looks like he has an out if Dagenais hasn't said anything recently, or Fischler hasn't reported it before.

Because then, "Here's the latest" is technically accurate. It doesn't mean "this happened recently", it just means "this is the *last* thing".

Wetcoaster

The Iconoclast said:

You can to do what you wish. It is a free country.

NYIsles1*

Outstanding. I copied this thread for Islander fans on our board who he writes alot of questionable things about without sources that are never confirmed.

Hockeyheart

Dec 15, 2004
You must have gottin lucky!!!!

I don't imagine you spend your time looking for these kind of things, I would think you heard the same thing more than once and started to think!! Then a little investigating and bam!! You have one guy 10hours south listening to the canadian field. He writes a story with a twist, and with a touch of money from the ownership side. He wants the game back as bad as everyone else, but was too lazy too dig up info from the players himself. And 98% of the time when you write a story in New York, very few of them are paying attention to whats going on in Canada. I can see him doing this based on the fact that americans don't pay close attention to what goes on up here!!!! Good work!!

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
good for you. the guy's articles throughout this lockout have been garbage. if i was a NYR player, i would never ever talk to him again. he's a great big jerk.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Hockeyheart said:
I don't imagine you spend your time looking for these kind of things, I would think you heard the same thing more than once and started to think!!

Not to take anything away from Wetcoaster, because he's the one who went to the trouble of e-mailing Fox about it, but a few other guys were the first ones to notice the re-used quote in the original thread. Owen Wilson, Cawz and Sam I Am all pointed it out, and then Bob McKenzie confirmed it was the same quote.

But nice work all around, writers shouldn't be getting away with stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->