First round trades?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neophool*

WHat trades do you guys see happening in the first round this year? I think that the Rangers are going to make a huge effort to move up to the top 2, and that Pittsburgh is going to do everything they can to try to pry away the no.1 pick from the Capitals...and I actually think that Washington might bite. Yes, yes, yes, it's Ovechkin, but I just have this feeling...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think Buffalo will again look to move up into the top 5 and be foiled in the attempt. Again.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
The Rangers have 4 (possibly 5) 2nd round picks. I expect one or two of them dealt in order to move up from toronto's pick (25/26) to the mid teens in the first round, for valabik or chipchura.

tripledekehockey

Apr 1, 2004
pittsburgh pa
neophool said:
WHat trades do you guys see happening in the first round this year? I think that the Rangers are going to make a huge effort to move up to the top 2, and that Pittsburgh is going to do everything they can to try to pry away the no.1 pick from the Capitals...and I actually think that Washington might bite. Yes, yes, yes, it's Ovechkin, but I just have this feeling...

i would be very very surprised if the caps moved their 1st overall pick (the deal would have to be enormously huge), but i could see them trading up with one or both of their other 1st rounders.

i think pittsburgh will stand pat with their 2nd overall pick and probably do not want to part with any of their prospects to gain that #1 overall pick.

i like the rangers to move up with their second first rounder into the mid teens

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
tripledekehockey said:
i would be very very surprised if the caps moved their 1st overall pick (the deal would have to be enormously huge), but i could see them trading up with one or both of their other 1st rounders.
Agreed on both counts. Very little chance the #1 overall gets dealt, but Washington's two late first rounders, perhaps with one of the team's two 2nd rounders, might be dangled to move into the #15 overall range.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
neophool said:

If (1) Ovevchin is generally considered to be head-and-shoulders above all the other Draft Eligible players and (2) the Caps obviously are in a rebuilding mode, why in the world would the Caps trade away the #1 pick?

Don't forget, this is the team that moved Jagr, Lang, Gonchar, Nylander, etc. this year. They're no going to be playoff contenders again for at least a couple of years.

KH1

Kick Save said:
If (1) Ovevchin is generally considered to be head-and-shoulders above all the other Draft Eligible players and (2) the Caps obviously are in a rebuilding mode, why in the world would the Caps trade away the #1 pick?

Don't forget, this is the team that moved Jagr, Lang, Gonchar, Nylander, etc. this year. They're no going to be playoff contenders again for at least a couple of years.
Exactly why they might move down to get more picks. They have a lot of needs to fill ,and a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks would do the trick. But this is a pretty thin draft and they should probably be staying put.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I could see...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
I could see Columbus trading from 4th and picking anywhere from 2nd to 8th.

Columbus moving down if Barker is no longer on the board. I've read a few rumors that the BJs like either Barker or Ladd. If Barker is no longer on the board, (Meaning the BHawks take him at three), then they might target Ladd. I could see the Rangers moving up to #4 to take Olesz by adding a 2nd round pick to the #6 pick.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Exactly why they might move down to get more picks. They have a lot of needs to fill ,and a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks would do the trick. But this is a pretty thin draft and they should probably be staying put.

which holes do we need to fill besides defense?

we're stacked at all 3 forward positions as well as in goal. Defense wont be so horrid next year with the additions of Eminger, Morrisonn and Yonkman(maybe Cutta too he looked goo din his callup).

Please explain to me the holes that need filling

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly, I could see Jeff O'Neill being moved on draft day. Not sure how the Raleigh crowd would take that at the draft, but since it's in North Carolina this year i'm pretty sure that JR is going to try to make it memorable. I could see Carolina trying to leapfrog Columbus to get a shot at Cam Barker. Would something like this work for the 'Hawks?

To Carolina: 3rd Overall selection, Bryan Berard
To Chicago: Jeff O'Neill, 8th Overall Selection

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
jas said:
Columbus moving down if Barker is no longer on the board. I've read a few rumors that the BJs like either Barker or Ladd. If Barker is no longer on the board, (Meaning the BHawks take him at three), then they might target Ladd. I could see the Rangers moving up to #4 to take Olesz by adding a 2nd round pick to the #6 pick.
i would take that if barker is gone

perin

Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Honestly, I could see Jeff O'Neill being moved on draft day. Not sure how the Raleigh crowd would take that at the draft, but since it's in North Carolina this year i'm pretty sure that JR is going to try to make it memorable. I could see Carolina trying to leapfrog Columbus to get a shot at Cam Barker. Would something like this work for the 'Hawks?

To Carolina: 3rd Overall selection, Bryan Berard
To Chicago: Jeff O'Neill, 8th Overall Selection

How does this help the Hawks? This idea would never happen.

Hawks will either take Olesz or Barker - most likely Olesz

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
jas said:

I'd play hardball until the last minute and try to get their extra first. If they held their ground, I'd gladly take a second rounder though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->