First 10 games under RBA

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So looking back over Rod's 5 seasons (Wow, 5 seasons!) as coach, the Canes have done well through 10 games every season, even 18-19 when they were one of the worst teams in the NHL by 12/31. Below is a comparison table of each season and the prior 4 seasons under Peters/Francis/Karmanos. Clearly we are a more talented team than the Peter's era and are spending to the cap so this thread isn't about records as a whole, but about the start to seasons.

For the 4 seasons prior to the RBA era, the Canes started off poorly through 10 games but got better as the season progresses, or in the case of 17-18, stayed the same. In the 5 seasons under RBA, the team has started out no worse than a 107 point pace. This season, even with all the various struggles (TT, KK, PP, PK, Goaltending) was the 2nd best start under RBA.

Why do people think the Canes get off to such good starts through 10 games? Are we better conditioned to start the season than other teams? Does our "work hard" style of play work better early in the season while teams are still making early season mistakes (blown assignments, missing passes, etc...) and as those teams find their groove, the Canes are less effective? Are they mentally tougher now so able to win tight games? Something else?

There's no doubt the Canes need to fix some things this year as the season progresses, but their record is consistent with the prior 4 years under Brindy.

DISCUSS.

1667560240461.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Glad you did this. I've been meaning to, though I wasn't really even thinking about including the tire fire era.

I've generally thought our style of play has been responsible for this trend. Obviously, it hasn't liked quite the same many games early this season, but it's likely still tough on other teams early in the season to play against our style even when it isn't fully clicking.

And, yes, these last few years the high level of talent plays a big part.

I'd also bet we underrate how good of a tactical coach we have because he's such a good leader of men type.

Something I notice is that the team never has rarely maintained the pace that Rod has them at to start the year (only 20-21).

If the team doesn't finish with at least 123 points this year, I think we can safely say we faded down the stretch.
As much as we talk about peaking too early, I think a big part of the philosophy is to bank big time points early because of the all the years we blew the playoff chances early. And then, once other teams have their legs under them, we're still very good, just obviously unlikely to keep up the 120+ point paces.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So looking back over Rod's 5 seasons (Wow, 5 seasons!) as coach, the Canes have done well through 10 games every season, even 18-19 when they were one of the worst teams in the NHL by 12/31. Below is a comparison table of each season and the prior 4 seasons under Peters/Francis/Karmanos. Clearly we are a more talented team than the Peter's era and are spending to the cap so this thread isn't about records as a whole, but about the start to seasons.

For the 4 seasons prior to the RBA era, the Canes started off poorly through 10 games but got better as the season progresses, or in the case of 17-18, stayed the same. In the 5 seasons under RBA, the team has started out no worse than a 107 point pace. This season, even with all the various struggles (TT, KK, PP, PK, Goaltending) was the 2nd best start under RBA.

Why do people think the Canes get off to such good starts through 10 games? Are we better conditioned to start the season than other teams? Does our "work hard" style of play work better early in the season while teams are still making early season mistakes (blown assignments, missing passes, etc...) and as those teams find their groove, the Canes are less effective? Are they mentally tougher now so able to win tight games? Something else?

There's no doubt the Canes need to fix some things this year as the season progresses, but their record is consistent with the prior 4 years under Brindy.

DISCUSS.

View attachment 603110
Tell me you are not using HFDark mode without telling me you are not using HFDark mode....

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I'd be curious to see Gf/Ga for the first 10 games of each season.

I wouldn't be too surprised if our ga was similar under both regimes but our gf had a slight bump.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean judging by those stats, we underachieved more last year than we did in any other season. I mean we fell 32 points off our pace, that's just pathetic

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
I'm going with a mostly, "effort means more early" explanation. Rod's preferred game is a simple north/south philosophy paired with pressure on every possession--when teams are still getting their skates under them for the season, that kind of effort will cause more turnovers and mistakes. As the season extends, the other teams get more comfortable, take less risks and have better positioning, that kind of pressure doesn't create the same results. Also, the Canes will wear down a bit, have injuries, rest a bit more as they get towards the post-season and teams will have more tape on the Canes tendencies and those will add up to less points over time. But I think it is even more apparent on special teams, where the Canes come out on fire and by the time the playoffs roll around, teams seem to have the book on stopping the PP and beating the PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad