#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The season is far from over. Assessment of his job is and will be done at seasons end by his superiors.

Accountability, ie; the “Fire Chia now” narrative , is purposeful pessimism stemming from and fueled by the Taylor Hall trade.

Its actually fueled primarily on Chia's offseason and the resultant 14th place team which is basically unwatchable at home which you would intimately know.

Where it goes back to Hall is that a Hall for Larsson trade can only be viewed positively in terms of it being a gambit, a bet to change the trajectory of the team clearly and resolutely That we are back to a ground zero, as bad as we were, but only now WITHOUT Taylor Hall is a related issue. One could view it as Chia fails on the trade, and he's failed since. His job is to improve the club. He has had 3years to do that. There is no net improvement which frankly is amazing considering the team has McD, Drai, Talbot, Nuge, Nurse, to build on. On most nights it could be argued those are still our 5 best players. Hall would make it a half dozen.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
@Night Witch. I appreciate the list you made up earlier.
Even though I don't agree with some/many of the points you are making with the list I think having it written out in one post is a useful thing and it does help facilitate honest conversation.
I would like to reply to the list, but before I do so I wonder if you could make a similar list of reasons from the other side of the table, ie. reasons you feel Chiarelli shouldn't be fired.
Thx I will once I get some time later tonight

Reactions: Aerrol

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
huh? sarcasm right?
didn't the Oilers go to Game 7 in the 2nd round like 7 month ago?

didn't Nashville lose James Neal, Ryan Ellis and Mike Fisher and only replace them with Nick Bonino?
Poile is an idiot for not replacing them with more depth...

-Arvidsson made Neal expendable last year. That affect is not hurting them this year. Unlike the Oil, they didn't dump Neal before they had a solid replacement. We dumped Ebs 1/2 a year too early and it has cost us valuable games

-Mike Fischer was replaced by Turris and stop gapped by Bonino. Had they done nothing until they acquired Turris, their record would be far worse

-Their defense is soo stacked they didn't need to replace Ellis. I doubt any of our dmen crack their top 4. Our d weren't quite strong enough to have Sek's absence not addressed

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Remind me again what awards they give out for winning a single playoff round in three years?
yeah, dismiss the season cause the team didn't win awards lol
you realize the Oilers finished with home-ice advantage in the playoffs for the first time in 25 years right?
and didn't Chiarelli finish as Executive of the Year finalist?

Poile has this little gift called self-awareness, and when he observed that secondary scoring was going to be a problem, he went out and paid the price for Turris- this despite the Preds playing even better at the time than they did last year, and much better than the Oilers at any point during Chia's tenure. That's called proactive management.

Fisher, meanwhile, was replaced with Bonino- about as even a swap as you can get.

However, on that note, do you notice how Poile didn't just go out and acquire a player a third or a quarter as effective to do either job, like Chiarelli did with Eberle? Again, that's good management, which I give you a pass for not really knowing when you see it due to the parade of clowns we've had in the GM role since... oh, I dunno, Sather.

As for Ellis, yes, the Preds absolutely need to do something there before the deadline. But even this year, Poile has demonstrated he has the skill and will to address weaknesses before they become serious issues. When has Chiarelli ever made a trade that gives you the impression he's capable of the same?
no, he just let Neal walk and "bet" on players like Fiala...an AHLer for part of last season and a career high 16 points...could fill the void until he acquired more talent (Turris)

and he didn't replace Ellis cause he knew he'd be coming back mid-season

same things Chia did..one GM's bets worked and another's didn't

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
the Flames GM hired a coach the fans can't stand, traded a 1st and two 2nd rounders for an underwhelming defenseman in Hamonic and continues to acquire stop-gap goalie

you sure you want that kind of management?

The Flames have had how many no.1 overall picks? How much did they have to work with going into the so called "Gaudreau era"?

How is it they can make the playoffs 2/3 years, possibly 3/4 with this year and this team is likely going to be 1/3 with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl gifted to them.

Like explain to me why I should find that level of performance to be satisfactory.

How has Toronto managed with just one 1st overall pick to completely turn their franchise around and make the playoffs immediately twice with a lesser player in Auston Matthews?

Why should we continually accept this and continually lower our standards? I've had enough. This is not good enough, this franchise should be ashamed of itself and missing the playoffs this year in NOT an option.

If they cannot be better than the bottom half of the league with a non-rookie Connor McDavid who's playing at a 100 point pace there should be concrete consequences for that after 3 years.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Thx I will once I get some time later tonight
No hurry man. I think you are honestly trying to facilitate a dialogue between two camps of fans, and I'd like to make a similarly thoughtful post in reply but I'm not sure how to do that since I haven't seen many people post why exactly it is they like Chiarelli.
I mean I get that we don't want to just keep firing coaches and managers, but beyond that I wonder what it is specifically that people like about Chiarelli's (admittedly limited) body of work in Edmonton. And I think all fans from both sides, myself included, should make an effort to see the other side's point of view. We are all Oiler fans after all.

Reactions: Night Witch

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
-Arvidsson made Neal expendable last year. That affect is not hurting them this year. Unlike the Oil, they didn't dump Neal before they had a solid replacement. We dumped Ebs 1/2 a year too early and it has cost us valuable games

-Mike Fischer was replaced by Turris and stop gapped by Bonino. Had they done nothing until they acquired Turris, their record would be far worse

-Their defense is soo stacked they didn't need to replace Ellis. I doubt any of our dmen crack their top 4. Our d weren't quite strong enough to have Sek's absence not addressed
Nashville had a "stacked" team last year and barely snuck into the playoffs...on paper they were "worse" to start the season yet didn't miss a beat

why is that?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The Flames have had how many no.1 overall picks? How much did they have to work with going into the so called "Gaudreau era"?

How is they can make the playoffs 2/3 years, possibly 3/4 with this year and this team is likely going to be 1/3 with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl gifted to them.

Like explain to me why I should find that level of performance to be satisfactory.

How has Toronto managed with just one 1st overall pick to completely turn their franchise around and make the playoffs immediately twice with a lesser player in Auston Matthews?

Why should we continually accept this and continually lower our standards? I've had enough. This is not good enough, this franchise should be ashamed of itself and missing the playoffs this year in NOT an option.

If they cannot be better than the bottom half of the league with a non-rookie Connor McDavid who's playing at a 100 point pace there should be concrete consequences for that after 3 years.
no one is happy nor satisfied about the season...I'm saying let's no do panic trades and firings at this point

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
no one is happy nor satisfied about the season...I'm saying let's no do panic trades and firings at this point

There is nothing panicky about firing management after 1/3 with McDavid. That is unacceptable and should have consequences. This is not acceptable when many teams do much more with far less gifted to them in equal or less time.

It's time for this time to run itself like a professional business, not a clown show.

Someone has to answer for where this franchise finds itself in. No excuses.

We have a right to expect at least Calgary/Toronto tier management. I am not lowering my standard below that. Sorry. This is the line, this far no further, this franchise should be ashamed of itself for asking fans to lower their expectations even further now and rolling out the "we need more time" nonsense *again*.

I'm not even asking for Chicago or Pittsburgh tier management/competence/results ... can you even give us Flames level results? How f***ing hard is that with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and all the other 1st overalls and numerous other assets you started with? En-ough of this garbage. Being on par with Buffalo and Arizona even though we are the ones who won the McDavid lottery is abysmal and I simply am not going to hand wave it away and say no consequences should happen. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
yeah, dismiss the season cause the team didn't win awards lol

You wanted to fete them for winning a round a year ago. I asked you a simple question, and of course you don't have an answer because you know it's a meaningless accomplishment- especially given the excrement it was sandwiched between.

you realize the Oilers finished with home-ice advantage in the playoffs for the first time in 25 years right?

What's the award for that one again?

and didn't Chiarelli finish as Executive of the Year finalist?

About the closest you can get to a tangible accomplishment, but even that lowest of bars still wasn't met- and he was nowhere close to a top-three GM in either of the surrounding years.

no, he just let Neal walk and "bet" on players like Fiala...an AHLer for part of last season and a career high 16 points...could fill the void until he acquired more talent (Turris)

So what you're saying he recognized his bet was a bad one, and took steps to correct it? A pretty astute thing to do, if you ask me. Wonder why Chiarelli hasn't done anything of the sort yet when it came to his failed gambles?

and he didn't replace Ellis cause he knew he'd be coming back mid-season

There's always a rust period. All the more reason for him to go out and get a solid #4- and all the more reason that Chiarelli's decision not to do the same was also a poor one.

same things Chia did..one GM's bets worked and another's didn't

Except they're not similar at all, and you just admitted that. Why do you enjoy being wrong so much?

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nashville had a "stacked" team last year and barely snuck into the playoffs...on paper they were "worse" to start the season yet didn't miss a beat

why is that?

B/c they have crazy depth

Forsberg is on the 3rd line right now and Subban is on the second pair

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
B/c they have crazy depth

Forsberg is on the 3rd line right now and Subban is on the second pair

It's amazing what can happen when you draft well, trade even better and don't mire your team in cap hell with terrible contracts.

But there's totally no difference between Chiarelli and Poile, amirite?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What's the award for that one again?
so only "awards" count?

About the closest you can get to a tangible accomplishment, but even that lowest of bars still wasn't met- and he was nowhere close to a top-three GM in either of the surrounding years.
I said they had home-ice advantage for the first time in a quarter century, which is a feat unto itself...but I guess since they didn't win an award for that, it gets dismissed by you

So what you're saying he recognized his bet was a bad one, and took steps to correct it? A pretty astute thing to do, if you ask me. Wonder why Chiarelli hasn't done anything of the sort yet when it came to his higher-profile risks?
huh? the Preds were 7-5-2 before the Turris trade..seems to me his "bets" were working out just fine
probably made the Turris trade cause Johansson started off so horribly

Except they're not similar at all, and you just admitted that. Why do you enjoy being wrong so much?
I'm sure you were right in predicting this teams struggles in the summer right? right?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm saying the fault lies mostly with the players

you know, maybe Talbot make a save early in the season
or Klefbom re-learning how to play defense

Yes if only we had some type of overseer or lets say a ... manager of some kind to put together a better group of players somehow.

The Leafs have had several down years from key young players like Marner and even Nylander is down this year ... they aren't using that as an excuse. Would this team be able to weather down years from 2/3 of their key young players? Nope. Here it would be an excuse that we be being told to have "more patience" (which means really the GM screwed up last summer and now needs another year to wait to see if time can bail him out).

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Yes if only we had some type of overseer or lets say a ... manager of some kind to put together a better group of players somehow.

The Leafs have had several down years from key young players like Marner and even Nylander is down this year ... they aren't using that as an excuse.
because Fredrick Andersen has a .922 save% for starters...among the best in the league

I guess you missed that totally undeserved win when McElhinney stoned us?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I'm saying the fault lies mostly with the players

you know, maybe Talbot make a save early in the season
or Klefbom re-learning how to play defense

It's called depth, yet again. Tbot sucked once before, and we had a back-up cover for him just fine. That's what legit back-ups do.. This time..not so much

If we acquired a legit dman, he could have easily covered for Klef. Teams do it all the time. We however relied on Auvitu and Gryba

Now we have Davidson(who was crap in MTL), but is back to his old form in Edm..and the results show. What a concept. Start the year with another top 4 dman and Klef's stumbles are not nearly as detrimental

Many posters screamed for Russell to be upgraded. Had he been, Klef's regression would be less of a talking point. Many saw the the impact Sek's had on Russell

Reactions: Aerrol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
because Fredrick Andersen has a .922 save% for starters...among the best in the league

I guess you missed that totally undeserved win when McElhinney stoned us?

Funny how their goalie has a .922 save percentage and they haven't had to sell off any of their offensive forwards for a Adam Larsson type. Quite interesting how that works out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
and now they're one of the better teams in the league

I guess Maurice just learned how to coach again?

If they make the playoffs this year that'll be 1/2 in the Laine era. If they miss again next year, Chevy and Maurice are done, don't kid yourself.

They have no one on their roster as good as Connor McDavid either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad