#FIRECHIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
The Hamilton thing really is a big debacle in the sense you should never hire a GM that one or more teams refuse to deal with. That just shows how bad he must have been to be actaully hated by other team. Chia has been a disaster, just so sad. We lucked out and got a generational talent and Chia is managing to mess it all up.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Hamilton suffers from being good at scoring points a d-man but not being super tough so he gets the 'poor defensively' label.

A 6'5 RHD who can skate and put up 50 points? Nurse isn't close to that. We're excited that he might hit 25 this year.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The Hamilton thing really is a big debacle in the sense you should never hire a GM that one or more teams refuse to deal with. That just shows how bad he must have been to be actaully hated by other team. Chia has been a disaster, just so sad. We lucked out and got a generational talent and Chia is managing to mess it all up.
As far as I know, the Bruins were the only team not willing to deal with him.

On the other hand, most other GMs can't wait to deal with him.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Hamilton suffers from being good at scoring points a d-man but not being super tough so he gets the 'poor defensively' label.

A 6'5 RHD who can skate and put up 50 points? Nurse isn't close to that. We're excited that he might hit 25 this year.

Ya, we are so far from having some like that now. Larsson is the guy that should get compared, as we ended up trading a huge asset to fill the hole Hamilton would have filled. Larsson is probably better defensively but their ability to move the puck is light years apart. Hamilton brings so much more to the table. Nurse will never give us that much offence, he just ins't that type of player. It really does hurt, Hamilton would be perfect for us, so we hire a GM that makes sure we won't get just what we need sigh..... brutal.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017
Ya, we are so far from having some like that now. Larsson is the guy that should get compared, as we ended up trading a huge asset to fill the hole Hamilton would have filled. Larsson is probably better defensively but their ability to move the puck is light years apart. Hamilton brings so much more to the table. Nurse will never give us that much offence, he just ins't that type of player. It really does hurt, Hamilton would be perfect for us, so we hire a GM that makes sure we won't get just what we need sigh..... brutal.

I agree. Even if Hamilton is poor defensively, he's so good with the puck that it doesn't really matter. You don't have to play defence if you're creating so much in the offensive zone.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I agree. Even if Hamilton is poor defensively, he's so good with the puck that it doesn't really matter. You don't have to play defence if you're creating so much in the offensive zone.

This speaks to the idea that there is no such thing as offense and defense as separate constructs or, in other words, the best defense is a good offense.

Ray Bourque was the victim of many a players highlight reel. Phil Housely was trashed for ignoring the defensive game. Sergei Zubov was the NHL's giveaway king during his prime. Erik Karlsson was thought to be one dimensional for years until he started putting up 70 point seasons. All well regarded defenseman in hindsight because they carried the play to the offensive zone where more good things happen than bad.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
This speaks to the idea that there is no such thing as offense and defense as separate constructs or, in other words, the best defense is a good offense.

Ray Bourque was the victim of many a players highlight reel. Phil Housely was trashed for ignoring the defensive game. Sergei Zubov was the NHL's giveaway king during his prime. Erik Karlsson was thought to be one dimensional for years until he started putting up 70 point seasons. All well regarded defenseman in hindsight because they carried the play to the offensive zone where more good things happen than bad.

I agree. I mean it is actually quite complicated. Basically what people mean when they say better defensively is that they on a given play shut down the offensive player better. But suppose an amazing defensive dman never gets the puck out of his zone. Then ya its great he can reliably shut down the opposing player, but, it also means he has to constantly do it. Larsson vs Hamilton would hard to compare, Larsson probably shuts players down more often but because of the fact he doesn't' move the puck as well he has to do it way more frequently. Bottom line with Hamilton on the ice your team is scoring many more goals for than against vs Larsson. I think one of the prime problems with Chia is he doesnt' think the game in this more complicated manner. He sees things more one dimensional. He wants a big tough Dman like Chara, as the looks like it worked, but he completly didn't realize Chara was also very good at moving the puck as well. More what you want isn't Charas grit as his puck moving ability.... ect.

Any way, it is quite complicated and I agree. I think many offensive dmen get a bad rap as not good defensively cause the odd guy gets around them. What isn't see is that they raraly have to defend cuase the puck is in the offensive zone so often.

Reactions: SK13

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I agree. I mean it is actually quite complicated. Basically what people mean when they say better defensively is that they on a given play shut down the offensive player better. But suppose an amazing defensive dman never gets the puck out of his zone. Then ya its great he can reliably shut down the opposing player, but, it also means he has to constantly do it. Larsson vs Hamilton would hard to compare, Larsson probably shuts players down more often but because of the fact he doesn't' move the puck as well he has to do it way more frequently. Bottom line with Hamilton on the ice your team is scoring many more goals for than against vs Larsson. I think one of the prime problems with Chia is he doesnt' think the game in this more complicated manner. He sees things more one dimensional. He wants a big tough Dman like Chara, as the looks like it worked, but he completly didn't realize Chara was also very good at moving the puck as well. More what you want isn't Charas grit as his puck moving ability.... ect.

Any way, it is quite complicated and I agree. I think many offensive dmen get a bad rap as not good defensively cause the odd guy gets around them. What isn't see is that they raraly have to defend cuase the puck is in the offensive zone so often.

Exactly.

I always refer to this type of player (I use Brooks Orpik and Kris Russell as examples) as lose-less players. Someone who will slow the bleeding by playing a tight own-zone defensive game, but won't help you get into the offensive zone and start generating offense.

I think there's a place for these players (no matter how good you are, you will chase games sometime and winning games you don't deserve is part of it), but I value them a lot less than I do the other kind.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Exactly.

I always refer to this type of player (I use Brooks Orpik and Kris Russell as examples) as lose-less players. Someone who will slow the bleeding by playing a tight own-zone defensive game, but won't help you get into the offensive zone and start generating offense.

I think there's a place for these players (no matter how good you are, you will chase games sometime and winning games you don't deserve is part of it), but I value them a lot less than I do the other kind.

Ya, for sure. I mean it is simple but I recall having this conversation at hockey the other day. Some guys always yell "get it out, get it out". like the puck is a hot potato. I looks good in the sense that you are clear of immediate danger, but what happens then? you just gave the puck away, so the other team is going to be right back, and repeat, get the puck and "get it out, get it out". Any way, it actually gets quite complicated to really measure it, but I think dmen like Bourque, Karlsson, would often take to long with the puck in their zone and end up looking bad. but isn't so easily seen is that they so often get the puck into the opposing zone by keeping possession. Larsson has to be one of the worst for that actually, he often just sends the puck down ice, just clears it. You need some one to take a bit more risk but get the puck on say McD's stick flying out of the zone. its all about possession.

Any way, I think many don't get what makes a truly great dman. The idea that a dman just defends and thats it. That they just "get it out" is silly. that makes for a terrible dman who constantly going to be defending.

Reactions: dawunderboy

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
To those citing Justin Schultz ... he had quit on the team and the fans had quit on him (including the majority of HFers wanted him gone for whatever) so lets not blame Chia for that.

Guy is a quitter, also one of the luckiest guys in the league by going to the absolute perfect situation in Pittsburgh. (Maybe its good karma for being one of the first highly touted guys to actually choose Edmonton over 29 other teams)

Reactions: dawunderboy

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
The 2015 draft was just so important and we completely botched it. We had picks #1, 16, 33, 57, 79 and 86 in the top100
We got McDavid and were content. Also Chia needed an entire season to "evaluate" the team, and he still made all the wrong moves. Such BS. He cost us McDavids ELC years.

Could've walked away with either
1) McDavid + Barzal/Connor + Carlo + Talbot
2) McDavid + Hamilton + Talbot

We ended up with

McDavid + Reinhart + Talbot

... Just awful

Last edited:

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Carolina pausing their GM search allows the Oilers to get a jump on the others and select the best candidate out there. April 8th, just three weeks away!!

I used to hope Chia would get fired, now I hope Kevin Lowe rents a barn and beats the crap out of him as well.

Worst GM record in the NHL, not even close, so do something Bob otherwise it is Bob that needs to go.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Speaking of Carolina, anyone have any strong feelings about Ron Francis as a GM? I feel like he did a decent job, but was hamstrung by the internal budget plus perhaps a bit too passive. Not my top choice but you know, could be worse.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Speaking of Carolina, anyone have any strong feelings about Ron Francis as a GM? I feel like he did a decent job, but was hamstrung by the internal budget plus perhaps a bit too passive. Not my top choice but you know, could be worse.
Big fat meh.

Whole lot of nothing in 4 years as their GM. Carolina Hurricanes are quietly going to be a year away from tying the NHL record for consecutive seasons without playoffs. A record we tied 2 seasons ago. Seemed to prescribe to the Steve Tambellini mode of management which was "Do nothing and hope it just works out"

Reactions: Aerrol

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
It's amazing Toronto has been able to get rid of the following contracts

Lupul
Clarkson
Phaneuf
Kessel (looked like a difficult trade at the time)

We badly need a gm that can creatively move Lucic and maybe others without punishing the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad