Confirmed with Link: Fireantz Are No More - Say Hello to the Marksmen

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
http://marksmenhockey.com/news/fireantz-rebrand-become-the-fayetteville-marksmen/

Twitter-header-1030x343.png

I'm not wild about it - the name itself is solid but I would have liked some name/logo interplay. That and I always liked the Fireantz logo

Fayetteville_FireAntz_logo.png

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The logo, which features a Carolina Red Fox with an “M†in his forehead above the blocked words “Marksmen†also carries significance to the team, and the community of Fayetteville.

“The fox identifies with the Marksmen, as it is indigenous to the area, but is also wild, cagy, and ferocious-characteristics showcased on the ice. And, much like the team, the fox exhibits a softer, cuddly side for kids, school events, and non-profit atmospheres,†team President Jeff Longo said. “With the community involvement, our mascot will be a role model for kids in Fayetteville, and help bring attention to fundraising initiatives and provide entertainment at every game.â€

I'm completely spitballing here, but I wonder if the name change could also have been spurred by the Astros - their new High-A club is playing its first two seasons in Buies Creek before a relocation to Fayetteville once their new ballpark is completed. Might the Astros be interested in the Fireantz/Fire Antz name (or some other play on fire ants) and offered the Marksmen's owners some cash for it? It does seem like the perfect minor league baseball team name, especially playing in a league with Mudcats, Wood Ducks, Pelicans, and Hillcats.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
I think they did a pretty good job with replacing the classic Fire Antz name and logo but it's hard to imagine fayetteville not being the fire antz.

gocanes88

Jan 14, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Not a fan of the name but I get it. We're a military town so you've gotta keep the theme going. What I am a fan of is how serious the new owners are about revitalizing the franchise. I hope to be back up in the Triangle with you guys by the time things really get going, but they've got big things in store. The future of hockey in Fayetteville is very bright!

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I'm completely spitballing here, but I wonder if the name change could also have been spurred by the Astros - their new High-A club is playing its first two seasons in Buies Creek before a relocation to Fayetteville once their new ballpark is completed. Might the Astros be interested in the Fireantz/Fire Antz name (or some other play on fire ants) and offered the Marksmen's owners some cash for it? It does seem like the perfect minor league baseball team name, especially playing in a league with Mudcats, Wood Ducks, Pelicans, and Hillcats.

This is not the case.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
To be clear, I like the name Marksmen. The logo leaves me cold, though.

An ant with a sniper rifle would have been awesome.

Or a crosshairs over a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->