Fire Travis Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Green has tinkered with the lineup more in five games than Willie did in an entire season.....that line of Burmistrov, Boeser and Baertschi (the killer bees) was put together on a hunch and they carried the Canucks to a road win....next game it might be another combo....so refreshing to have a guy behind the bench who'll go to 'Plan B" when his choice isn't working and is willing to call out any player he thinks has more to give....like I said, refreshing.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
This team will be stale with the twins in the line up..
It only will get better after they are gone.i have loved what they have done for this team,and city.They are not 20 year olds any more.It time for this team to cut ties.

If they can find 2 other guys that can produce more than 40 to 50 points that is not on nhl roster now. Yes it will get better. If they can't it won't get better.

People been saying get rid of Sedins for a lot of years now but you need replacements first.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I’m on the “it’s to early train” but people commending Green for the Burmi-Boeser-Baertschi line seem to be forgetting that he scratched Boeser inexplicably

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I’m on the “it’s to early train” but people commending Green for the Burmi-Boeser-Baertschi line seem to be forgetting that he scratched Boeser inexplicably
and he won't let Jake play in the 3rd period....These days.,It seems everybody is looking for drama where there isn't any...?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
You guys not telling me that if a more experienced coach got fired tomorrow you guys wouldn't think that coach wouldn't be an upgrade on Travis Green?

The reality is that this coach will probably be gone within 2 years and replaced by someone who is more qualified and better then him.

To be honest you wouldn't know a good coach from a bad one. Being stubborn and doubling down isn't smart. It's good to be open minded

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
There is a VERY good reason this thread exists, and it's that in "JUST 5 GAMES" we are seeing Dallas Eakins type "You wanna know who's in charge? I'm in charge! I can make you do stuff!" behaviors, that as one looks around the league at what leads to the type of team we all want, it isn't hard to see that they can't be motivated by wanting to win and grow the team. What his motives are, I don't know.

My gut guesses as to why, doesn't sit well and I hope I'm wrong, but something is telling me that in addition to c**k swinging, Green may be a little bit....green, and I don't mean new.

We've all heard the story about how he was supposed to be a star, but couldn't get the job done, so became a checker to stay in the league.

Well, the guy seems to single out young up and coming potential stars for dumping on. It has also been widely reported that he was bugging Benning all summer to "Sign the vets!"

He seems to take actions that are designed to sabotage players taking the next step, a step he wasn't able to take.

It's ugly, but it can't be explained away, in an attempt to explain the unexplainable,I have conducted a mock interview with Coach Travis Green, the transcript of which follows:

TD: "Why did you bench Boesser for the first two?"

TG: "He cooled off in preseason"

TD: "Well, when talking Jake, you said preseason doesn't matter, and if he cooled off, then 90% of the team never heated up in the first place, he was outplaying everyone, experts everywhere were calling him a serious Calder candidate, the fans were paying to see HIM and you benched him, WHY?"

TG: "We have a plan"

TD: "Ok, what is it? And why do you need "A PLAN"? How about play your best players, that's a plan?

TG: "I have MY plan"

TD: "What is it?"

TG: "It's a PLAN, next question"

TD: "What about Jake? Guy is a revelation in preseason, against NHL rosters, Season starts, you put him on a short leash, with the threat of being benched in every game, and when he isn't being punished, you play him token minutes, if I had to come up with a plan to mess with Jake's head and cut him off at the knees, I'd do what you are doing, could you explain why this isn't the case?"

TG: "Jake still does some things out there I don't like"

TD: "Loius Eriksson, Sam Gagner, and aside from the last game Vanek do nothing BUT things I don't like, things NOBODY likes, yet they have all been given the chance to make mistakes and gain confidence in becoming NHL players, just to be clear, are you expecting Jake to be Anze Kopitar, Patrice Bergeron level 2-way player before you let him skate 10 minutes"

TG: "That would be nice, next question"

TD: "Bo Horvat is the centerpiece of the team, the Linden of this era and next, so to speak, already this season he has brought crowds to their feet, conversely the guys I mentioned a minute ago suck, is there some reason you can't flex on THOSE guys, why are you trying to punish our #1 star like he's a12-year-old kid?"

TG: "There are some defensive issues"

TD: "So, what? He has OFFENSIVE issues too, like he issues the offense. Most other guys can't make that claim. Why are you singling him out?"

TG: "Did you see Burmistrov last game?"

TD: "Do you want the team to market seasons tickets around Burmistrov next summer?"

TG: "No.....I was kind of thinking they could use me, you know? Like the young good looking coach, who has everyone's fate in his hands, the "Destiny man" you know what I mean? I think that will sell BIG TIME, I'm thinking the slogan can be: "WE WILL ALL BE BENCHED" or maybe "GIVING ICETIME IS NOT IN HIS NATURE" or...wait, listen, how about... Bustop ads right? Billboards! So you see a picture of Horvat, Boesser and Jake sitting in the press box looking like a bunch whiney sissies, then behind them, there's a picture of me on the Jumbotron, and I'm looking all cool in my Utica Sears suite, and I'm pointing at something on the ice, but on the Jumbotron it looks like I'm pointing at them, and then the words above, all huge in Blue and Green....."IT'S DEJA VU' ALL OVER AGAIN'

Right budz? Y'know?!?!"

TD: "Thanks for your time"

TG: "Ya budz..."

Reactions: Pip

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The way I look at this season and specially this early on in the season is that there are no easy fixes. Would I like to see Virtanen get more ice time? Yes. Will this hard love help Virtanen in the long run? I think so, so I'm willing to have patience with it. He's being taught how to play a well rounded game which he needs to play in order to be successful in the NHL. Was scratching Boeser a bit of a let down for us fans? Yes. Boeser isn't used to the full NHL schedule, there were rumblings he was a little fatigued after playing almost all preseason. Managing his games and rest this season isn't a bad thing.

Green looks to be willing to make tough coaching decisions in the name of helping a player take the next step in their development. Whether it's the right decision remains to be seen but we've already seen more actual developmental coaching this season than we saw from Willie last season. If the kids play well and produce they will get more ice time.

Basically I think we need to have patience with Green and this team.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I know. I thought about this when I posted it. Physically, he was a wreck, but mentally it was like he had checked out. I could give so many examples. He was like a baseball manager who never pinch-hit or pinch-run. I don't know how he could be so intensely focused on the games and not realize what was happening Maybe the game was just too fast for him.

It's been shown that when people are in a state of high stress/anxiety/panic (like Willie was behind the bench), higher cognitive function is impaired. He literally was not capable of making the adjustments needed in game because he couldn't freakin' calm down.

One has to strongly consider this is also the reason he couldn't manage a bench properly or think about line matching even when it was the playoffs where match ups are of the utmost importance because you're playing multiple iterations against the same team.

Reactions: MS and But Gillis

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
I really hope we lose today and tomorrow and every other game. Get a better draft pick, fire Benning's ass, fire Linden's ass, and fire Green's ASS.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's been shown that when people are in a state of high stress/anxiety/panic (like Willie was behind the bench), higher cognitive function is impaired. He literally was not capable of making the adjustments needed in game because he couldn't freakin' calm down.

One has to strongly consider this is also the reason he couldn't manage a bench properly or think about line matching even when it was the playoffs where match ups are of the utmost importance because you're playing multiple iterations against the same team.
TG is the 'expressionless' coach...I often wonder if he is trying to translate his success at poker into hockey.?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

This was a really good post and I think you are completely correct.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Patience is what you guys all need. We are starting at a rock bottom last season and you shouldn't even expect a quick turnaround for at least 2-3 years. You expect that the silver platter be handed to you and change the Canucks' world quickly but it does not work that way. The only reason why Green is hired because he knows how to coach with bare cupboard and still be a respectable team at the farm team for 4 years. He did not allow Comets prospects to make the team and only Biega, and Virtenan made the team. He doesn't even like Meegna. He will make the Canucks a respectable team in so many different ways. I am even shaking my head to see a thread, fire Green that early in the season all because of how he handled Boeser. If this was 2 or 3 seasons and no result then it makes sense. I would wait until 20-25 games mark to see how this team will be like, not 6-7 games and it's so early in the season to make the judgment.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Patience is what you guys all need. We are starting at a rock bottom last season and you shouldn't even expect a quick turnaround for at least 2-3 years. You expect that the silver platter be handed to you and change the Canucks' world quickly but it does not work that way. The only reason why Green is hired because he knows how to coach with bare cupboard and still be a respectable team at the farm team for 4 years. He did not allow Comets prospects to make the team and only Biega, and Virtenan made the team. He doesn't even like Meegna. He will make the Canucks a respectable team in so many different ways. I am even shaking my head to see a thread, fire Green that early in the season all because of how he handled Boeser. If this was 2 or 3 seasons and no result then it makes sense. I would wait until 20-25 games mark to see how this team will be like, not 6-7 games and it's so early in the season to make the judgment.

I certainly hope and dont think anyone is expecting green to turn anything around in this thread with regards to our team winning or moving up the standings, we can all see this is a terrible team, the criticism of him has been in other area's.

CurtisLoew

Dec 24, 2003
Looks like my "whipping boy" prediction is coming true. Whoever we hired as coach was doomed, our team sucks!

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Looks like my "whipping boy" prediction is coming true. Whoever we hired as coach was doomed, our team sucks!

Green sucks willie sucked benning sucks linden sucks plus a whole wack of crappy vets and former first rounders suck. Dark days thats for sure

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I certainly hope and dont think anyone is expecting green to turn anything around in this thread with regards to our team winning or moving up the standings, we can all see this is a terrible team, the criticism of him has been in other area's.

Exactly. I agree with most, probably too early to have this thread, it is kind of funny, but there is a lot of things he has done so far I just don't like. I think posters like WTG who watched more of what type of coach he is in Utica, and Bad Goalie and yourself, probably have a better sense than many of us here.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Hutton was healthy scratch for entire AHL playoffs.

No, he wasn't. Benning sent him back to Vancouver to start "preparation for the next season" (Benning paraphrase) at the end of the regular season after he had played 4 games for the Comets. You can't be "scratched" if you aren't even on a roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad